Re: Non-Messier objects in ExploreStars #EXOS2 #ExploreStars

Wes Mcdonald

Paul

The RN 131 G which is in the unit has a spec sheet operating temperature -30 to +85 (C) so don’t sweat the temperature.  Also, in case you are still worried that 5C is a problem realize the thing self heats also while operating.  Self heat also likely prevents moisture from forming on it.  Finally the thing is pretty much sealed up in an RF enclosure.

You are looking in the wrong places for a problem.  Barring that your unit is somehow defective, a thesis that its operational capability with WiFi is demonstrated, all of your problems stem from your windows machine.  I have said this many times, the pmc8 is a relatively simple machine — compared to a PC it is the smallest bump on the smallest wart in the smallest code module in windows operating system.

I don’t know if anyone on the forum that had been unable to get things up and running.

I had issues also.  In the end they all were related in someway to the windows tablet I had.     Everything works fine on two bootcamped macs and in dell laptop.   Same stuff didn’t work correctly in the the tablet.   Go figure.

So you just have to clear the decks and start over.  Start simple.  Uninstall ascom.  Install ascom 6.4, not 6.5.  Run the ascom diagnostics.  It must complete with no errors.  Reinstall the Es ascom driver, any cpu version.   Get the ftdi cable.  Load the ftdi usb-serial driver for the device.  Check with windows device manager to see if the adapter is working.  Load the configuration manager.  Connect to the pmc8 WiFi and using the cm switch the pmc8 to serial.  Using the configuration manager check that it responds to the ESGv! Command.  If so serial is working. If not suspect the usb serial cable/driver/chip set.  Boot poth.  Configure the ascom driver to the comm port and communication mode.  Connect poth to the mount.  See does the ra and dec values go to 90 and something around 0, can be off by a few hours in ra.   Use the poth keys to move the mount and see that the position in ra and dec as reported in poth are changing.  If all this works Ascom is up and running with the mount.

At that point the rest is just using other applications with their own stuff you have to figure out.

Remember to connect ascom driver to the mount and every other ascom compliant software to Poth.

If you are having issues with poth not moving the mount via an st4 cable while using explorestars there are a few possibilities.  Remember to tell PhD that guiding is to be done on camera, pick this in the mounts drop box in phd profile manager.  The st4 interface may have an issue with your particular guided camera that is easily fixed but requires you to run the unit in diagnostic mode.  So check out all above and get back to us. If all works but guiding via st4 does not then diagnostic mode test will be the next step.

There is an issue with connecting to WiFi that cropped up with a windows update.  The only known work around we have is to set the network adapter to static IP address.   I have put a .bat file in the files section of the Mounts subgroup that will do this for you.  So if your PC is not connecting to the wifi module while in DHCP mode use the bat file to switch it.

Finally, if you have issues with WiFi dropping it is possible the WiFi is not configured correctly. After you establish that every other thing about WiFi is correct we can look into that.  But make sure the WiFi advice others have given you is all followed and the static mode switch does. It fix the problem