Steve Siedentop

The heart of the Soul Nebula (IC1848)

It wa s a cold night on Jon Wood Astronomy Field, about an hour east of Atlanta, but the company was good and the skies were stable and clear. This was the first run at it and represents the hydrogen-alpha channel. I uploaded another version of this image without stars. Starnet++ is quite good at making star masks but my MacBook Pro turns into a space heater!  Imaged with an ED-127CF FCD100 telescope, an ES PMC-Eight G-11 mount, and a ZWO ASI-1600MM-Cool camera with an EFW8 Filter Wheel.  I still need to get flats and darks calibrated and a few frames with oblong stars need to be tossed out, but the initial results are very pleasing to the eye.

Full resolution versions available here:
Original
Starless

-Steve

Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40
Cameras:  CentralDS CDS-600, CentralDS Astro 60D, Orion Starshoot SSAG, ZWO ASI 1600MM-Cool
Msc: Moonlite Focusers, Astrozap Dew Straps, Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox
Software: PixInsight, Cartes du Ciel, BackyardEOS, SkySafari, Sequence Generator Pro