locked Recommended autoguider (or help with shooting > 60sec) #iEXOS-100 #polaralignment #alignment #Off-Topic

Matt Hallett

Question for the longer term enjoyment of this hobby (i.e. post-Santa deliveries and what to look for in Jan sales). Any autoguiding cameras you'd particularly recommend? Seems like the ZWO ASI120mm gets used/recommended by most but would also like to hear anyone's opinions and experiences. Still very much on the steep bit of this learning curve, so any guidance would be welcome.

On the shorter term, I'm struggling to get images of longer than 60sec exposure without starting to see noticeable star trail. I level my iEXOS-100 mount, polar align it to within an inch of its life, park it, two-star align in ExploreStars, slew to target, fine tune the alignment, sync the position and then take my shots. 60sec exposures just get inside the acceptable tolerance but anything longer than that and they're too blurry to be effectively stacked.

The sky looks like it'll be crystal clear tonight. I have grand visions of stacking pin sharp 180sec exposures of Orion nebula or Pinwheel galaxy, etc. At the moment it's ISO6400 30sec exposure shots of Andromeda or overly noisy 60sec images of Orion (see attached).

Mount: iexos-100 with PMC-8
Scopes: Startravel 102
Camera:  Nikon D7500
Software: Deep Sky Stacker, Siril, Photoshop