locked Re: Recommended autoguider (or help with shooting > 60sec) #iEXOS-100 #polaralignment #alignment #Off-Topic

Jeff Snell

Hi Matt.  I still consider myself a newbie going on two years .  I’m always learning.  I’m sure others will have much better advice/opinions about quality and the best to autoguider to buy.  I needed one and didn’t wanna dive in with too much cash so I bought an Orion star shoot 50mm autoguider combo.  It came with the 50mm scope, camera and all the parts needed to connect to the computer.  Around $300 bones.  I also run PHD2 for the guide program.  Finally, I bought a polemaster for my exos II mount.  Again around $250-300.  I had to buy a small adapter ring to mount the polemaster but it was only around 20-30 bucks.  That investment paid off huge.  Polemaster is absolutely awesome and the Orion guide scope and PHD2 pair great. Below is one of my images where PHD was tracking at about .2 total error.  I had it made into a 20x30 print.

Good luck.

Jeff

ES ED 80 APO, Celstron Edge HD 8” SCT
EXOS II PMC Eight
Canon T5i (Astro-modified)
ASCOM POTH Hub/APT/CDC/PHD2

On Dec 24, 2020, at 7:44 AM, Matt Hallett <hello.matthallett@...> wrote:

Question for the longer term enjoyment of this hobby (i.e. post-Santa deliveries and what to look for in Jan sales). Any autoguiding cameras you'd particularly recommend? Seems like the ZWO ASI120mm gets used/recommended by most but would also like to hear anyone's opinions and experiences. Still very much on the steep bit of this learning curve, so any guidance would be welcome.

On the shorter term, I'm struggling to get images of longer than 60sec exposure without starting to see noticeable star trail. I level my iEXOS-100 mount, polar align it to within an inch of its life, park it, two-star align in ExploreStars, slew to target, fine tune the alignment, sync the position and then take my shots. 60sec exposures just get inside the acceptable tolerance but anything longer than that and they're too blurry to be effectively stacked.

The sky looks like it'll be crystal clear tonight. I have grand visions of stacking pin sharp 180sec exposures of Orion nebula or Pinwheel galaxy, etc. At the moment it's ISO6400 30sec exposure shots of Andromeda or overly noisy 60sec images of Orion (see attached).

Mount: iexos-100 with PMC-8
Scopes: Startravel 102
Camera:  Nikon D7500
Software: Deep Sky Stacker, Siril, Photoshop
<result.jpg>