Ian Morison

Dear Derril,
                        this image shows the outer parts of the nebula far better that any I have taken (very well done) but, as you rightly say, the central part of the nebula is over exposed so that the trapezium stars cannot be seen.  I know of two ways to  'tame' it.  The first is to take far shorter exposures - I was using 12 seconds with a very similar setup -  but there will then be a vast number of frames to align and stack to bring up the outer parts of the nebula.  Probably better is to take a relatively small number of frames to nicely expose the central region and then blend the two together.  A crude method of doing this would be to clone from the short exposure image into your long exposure image.  A better method might be to use an HDR process that is available in many of the image processing packages.
All the very best with your imaging.  Appended is the Trapezium area taken with 12 second exposures.
Cheers,

Ian