Re: iEXOS-100 RA axis motor struggles, doesn't track #iEXOS-100 #goto #tracking

Rix Yarbrough

No guiding. This is only plugged into AC power and controlled with explorestars. This chugging definitely is not adequate for sidereal tracking and from what I have seen in every other example of this mount running, it is abnormal. I agree that it seems like an issue with onboard communication and not motor hardware- it's receiving the wrong signals or at least at the wrong times. Talking more with ES customer support about it.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 6:48 AM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
Rix

To what Dino said:

On the iexos you can’t swap the drive cables but you can, if you want to, swap the motors.   But without thinking much more about it I feel the motor is fine.  I don’t think you could see the pulley chug along at sidereal rate.

I will fool with my iexos today and see if it looks like it jerks along

But not round stars are usually ultimately caused by a combination of issues not the mount motors.  Btw what focal length was your scope?  Remind me we’re you guiding?  If so what was the rms error reported by PhD.

Wes

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 10:47 PM Rix Yarbrough <yarbroughrix@...> wrote:
If I press [Tr], changing to <P>, the chugging continues but is now more irregular and less rhythmic. What should I be looking/listening for? I can see the motor moving normally, but only every chug, there is no constant motion. There is constant motion and it sounds ordinary while slewing, but while tracking the issue persists no matter what.

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 10:20 PM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
Rix

I mean press the T button in explorestars which puts the mount into point mode not park.

The sound is caused by a resonance that seems to happen with the motor assembly and the pulses driving the stepper motor.  At least that has always been my theory.  See if they
Change in P mode.