Re: Advice on exos2 dec movement. #EXOS2

Charles,

This is re: DEC guiding?

I touch on this a bit in my tuning doc.  About the best you can do for DEC balance is a bit of camera-heavy bias with a refractor, but that DEC motor on the side will still skew things.  Just as with RA, a bit of DEC weight bias appears to do no harm, and perhaps some good - so no worries.

Basically, less appears to be more where DEC guiding is concerned.  Some folks don't guide DEC at all.  I'm not there, but I have cut my DEC sensitivity back a lot on PHD2.  There was a really interesting thread some time ago about mechanical movement from guide corrections in one axis triggering guide corrections in the other one.  The pattern shows up in a guide graph - one axis corrects and then the other gets busy as well.  They can go back and forth for quite a while.  I had seen that behavior on mine, and reducing DEC sensitivity helped that for me, without doing any measurable harm to my images.

FWIW...

- Bob

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021, at 10:56, charles mckowen wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew how to improve movement in the dec. It doesn’t seem smooth and hard to balance. There’s also a slight Hang up when you rotate. Which I think is normal from the design. If anyone can help me out. I would really appreciate it. Thanks
--
Chuck McKowen
Bortle 3 Mangham/Monroe, La

WO Z61, WO REDCAT 51, ES ED 102, AstroTech 6 Rc, Orion 8 Rc
Celestron onyx 80 edf
Skywatcher eq6 r pro/Exos2 pmc8/ Atlas Eq-g pro
Qhy163c/m
Canon Eos Ra
EQMod/Poth - APT, Stellarium, Stellarium scope, and PHD2

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide