Re: Android and Amazon Fire ExploreStars has been updated #ExploreScientific #ExploreStars

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 08:26 PM, Patrick Maher wrote:
Deciding that there is no pressing need for updating the Windows version of ExploreStars is very disappointing to me.  I have no use for Android and I definitely have no use for iPad.  I already use Windows for the serial connection and astrophotography so I have been hoping for continued upgrades and support for the Windows platform for ExploreStars.  Maybe I am in the minority but since I use ASCOM with Windows, I use Windows for ExploreStars too.

This comes as quite a surprise to me and gives me something to seriously think about for the direction to go in the future.

Hi Patrick,

I think you have mischaracterized the reasoning behind us not updating the Windows version of the ExploreStars application. We understand there may be a pressing need for some customers to have ExploreStars on Windows if they believe that there is no other "better" software available to control the mount, but our customers that think that have to also understand that we are a small company and we have to manage our resources to help out the most customer's. We are very gratified that the ExploreStars application has such a great following. The issue we face is that we have been very effective in developing the PMC-Eight system into a highly flexible system that affords our customers a large number of ways to use the PMC-Eight system. This results in us needing to provide tools for a very diverse set of customers and taxes our resources even more.

We are continuing to move further in that direction today which makes it even more difficult. As you know, our PMC-Eight system is available on on a mid to high range system (depending on your point of view) the G11, and also on the most inexpensive, full featured mount system, the iEXOS 100. There are challenges everywhere when doing this as we have customers who have never used an astronomical mount before to those who have several decades using these types of systems. As I said, we have to manage and prioritize our work to benefit the most customers and unfortunately the Windows ExploreStars application has not been the priority. Those are the facts. Rest assured that we still discuss the need to upgrade the Windows version of ExploreStars, but we are also moving forward to to try and improve the system so that we can make ExploreStars and it's predecessors available on all platforms, not just desktops, and tablets, but on other mobile devices such as the iPhone.

The bottom line is that is is more of a matter of priorities given the resource restrictions we are dealing with, it's not because we don't think it is important, we just think that there are more important tasks which we have to work on which help more of our customers.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data