Re: New PMC-Eight Firmware UPDATED STATUS #ExploreScientific #UniversalFirmware

Wes Mcdonald

Alan and mick

If you are using the asi air I am not sure you should upgrade yet.  Doesn’t it use the indi driver?  If so wait at least until that is done.

The present firmware run the mount well as you have noted.  The bee firmware offers new features and some performance enhancements but if your needs are met with the old then what change?  Mostly because there will come a day when ES does not support it anymore.  But that is not near apparently based on Jerry’s note about that.

The new firmware requires changes to the driver which the new ascom driver has.  Member Karl has made similar changes to the Indi driver but I am not aware of the status of that.

Wes

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 4:37 AM Mick Whitaker <mwhitaker285@...> wrote:
Alan.
       If your Exos 2 is working fine with the AAP I wouldn’t change a thing. I am in the same position as you and will not be risking the update.

On 21 Apr 2021, at 08:31, alandebrut <alan.bruce@...> wrote:

Hi Wes,

You and a few others have always been very helpful to everyone on this forum and for that I thank you.

However I have read the installation procedure for installing the new firmware twice, along with the threads in this forum it appears to be a rollercoaster ride.

In fact I fear I now have Technical dyslexia, I don't believe I have the skills to perform this task and I am equally sure there will be others in a similar position.

I am neither a technophobe nor tech savvy, I get by but I know my limitations.
I have installed firmware on other Goto mounts and other pieces of equipment I have, such as keyboards, cameras printers etc.
These have been simplistic to say the least so I don't understand why to me I need a degree in engineering science to complete this task from ES

Is it essential I install this update in the manner described?
I have my Exos2 PMC8 connected via serial to my ASIAirPro, it works brilliantly in that configuration.

If I install this firmware what would be the benefit to me?

Its taken me a few months to get my EXOS2 working in a way that suites me,
I must praise ES for producing a fantastic piece of technology at such a competitive price, in addition this forum provides that extra piece in the jigsaw not easily found with other brands.
I would recommend ES products to anyone interested in taking up the hobby.

Regards
Alan
--
Warrington
UK

Explore Scientific:  Telescope AR102, F6.5   Exos 2, PMC8
ZWO Electronic Auto-focuser   ZWO ASI Air Pro
ZWO ASI533 main camera   ZWO ASI120mm guide
QHY PoleMaster     Altair 290C

Celestron SE8 plus mount    Starsense
Sharpcap Pro,    CDC   Stellarium   APT   Firecapture
Canon 80D

--
Michael Whitaker
Wakefield, UK.