Topics

Problem Compiling

hubbell_jerry@...

They are designated for Track Mode and Point Mode. Track Mode is the standard fixed tracking rate and Point Mode is a more sophisticated mode when you do not have a good physical polar alignment. When you perform a 2 or 3 star alignment, in Point Mode the app will continuously point to the calculated position of the object. This results in the mount RA and DEC rates being dynamically changed to keep the object centered.

W. Christopher Moses

The reason I would want to swap back and forth is cable management and testing.

I.e - I'm still getting my cable management worked out and while I test some things, cabling and software, one is easier than the other.

W. Christopher Moses

Speaking of off-topic, What are the "Tr" and "P" in ExploreStars?  "Tracking and Parked?

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,
I have not.  I have an ESP8266 laying around. I think it was for a wireless focuser I never quite finished- like most of my hardware projects.
Except for tinkering, I'm really more of a software person.

hubbell_jerry@...

I guess I never considered that someone might want to swap back and forth multiple times in one evening.

hubbell_jerry@...

Yes, you could make a small client with just a single button to send the command and swap it. I probably will add that to the ASCOM driver configuration dialog box at some point.

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,
I have read through that. I will try it in just a minute. I was just thinking that the tester program might be easier if I need to switch back and forth in the field.

hubbell_jerry@...

did you see the application note I have uploaded in the files section? You can use Putty and the Parallax Serial Terminal to swap the channels Here is a link to the file

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,
RIght now I'm just looking for the fastest way to switch it over to a wired connection. I'm hoping to head to a dark(ish) sky site tomorrow.

hubbell_jerry@...

Not to change the subject, but I was curious if you have done any work using the ESP 8266 WiFi module, or the new ESP-WROOM-32 module?

hubbell_jerry@...

The code just sends an "ESX!" serial string as shown in the Programmer's Reference to toggle the communications channel from WiFi to Serial and Back. The code in the tester is generic in that it will send any command string you want out the serial port when you hit the send button. Are you looking also for the code that starts the connection? Look under the Connect button. Both the Connect and Send buttons use the standard ASCOM API calls.

hubbell_jerry@...

You could try creating a new ASCOM client program and cut and paste the code into the new project.  I don't know why the original code doesn't work. That's all there is in my project directory minus the files you were able to create or find.

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,
Yeah, I have the ASCOM developers tools installed.

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,

Thanks.
I've worked with ASCOM drivers before and glanced through the code. It looked very standard.  You had mentioned that it had some code to flip the driver back and forth between wired and wireless mode.  That was really what I was looking for.

It's probably a short enough routine that it would be easier to just extract it, but it is always good to make sure the example works as expected before transplanting the code.

hubbell_jerry@...

Did you load the ASCOM-Standards development tools? They may contain what you need. They are available on the ASCOM website.

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,
I'm running Enterprise versions of vs 2015 and 2017. I've tried it in both.

It seems to have references to the files, but is not creating the actual files.  All the referenced files in My Project are missing.

I can't image their would be any significant difference between Pro and Enterprise.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Chris,

I just uploaded into the Files section the installation setup program for the Explore Scientific PMC-Eight ASCOM Driver Tester.  Keep in mind that this is an internal test program I created and certain functions may not work 100%. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!  The main purpose of the code is to show you how to use the standard function calls and demonstrate how to code an ASCOM Client. This program should work for any ASCOM driver you may have for other mounts also.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Chris,

The code included in the SDK for the Driver Tester is all you should need after you install VB. I am using Visual Studio 2015 Professional now, and I always assumed that when you installed the free version of VB from Microsoft that it would create the other files. The App.config file should be created by your system and the signing keys are specific to my installation of my licensed version, so you should not need those. If you open the .vbproj file in your installation, it should load it up without any problems as far as I know. This issues you are having now may be related to the version of VB you are using.

W. Christopher Moses

Hi Jerry,

I just tried to compile the Driver Tester example and it looks like a couple of files are missing:

app.config

resources.resx

The signing key

I added the first two and turned off signing.

Now I get :

file 'C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\Astro\PMC-Eight SDK 20170328\ES ASCOM Driver Tester Example VB.net Code\My Project\Application.Designer.vb' could not be found

file 'C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\Astro\PMC-Eight SDK 20170328\ES ASCOM Driver Tester Example VB.net Code\My Project\AssemblyInfo.vb' could not be found

file 'C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\Astro\PMC-Eight SDK 20170328\ES ASCOM Driver Tester Example VB.net Code\My Project\Settings.Designer.vb' could not be found

These sound like they should be easily fixable, after an hour or two of spelunking around StackOverflow.  It's been a while since I've done any VB.

Could you please post a zip of a fully compilable version?

BTW - Which version of VS are you using?

Thanks,

Chris