Topics

Polar Alignment (split from CDC Sky Chart Error Message)

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Bob,

Yes, It is hard to develop and create a system that is all things to all people, or will do what is needed based on the local conditions. We don't have a mount AI that will see where you planted your tripod and figure out the local horizon and then align itself (yet!). So we have to learn enough to realize we setup the correct configuration for our observing session and go on from there. Sometimes the ExploreStars virtual alignment will work fine, other's we may need to do a good physical alignment. There are a lot of factors involved.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Robert Hoskin <r_hoskin@...>

Jerry,

Re: polar alignment...

During the brief time I tried Explorestars, I tried to use its alignment, and ran into the same issue that I had both years ago, with my old Autostar, and the (several) alignment methods I tried in my PMC-8 era before getting things sorted out.

These methods all seem to want to want to use stars that are lower in the sky, and are easily obstructed by houses and trees in an urban back yard.  I was unable to use them, and picking alternate stars didn't help, as they were often blocked, as well.

Fortunately, I CAN see Polaris.  Sharpcap can use that, and it works like a champ.  It does the same sort of rotated image plate solving that I believe Polemaster does, and it works with an ordinary guidescope and camera.

Where this leads, is that a method that suits one observing site may not suit another.

- Bob