RA Stiction

W. Christopher Moses

I have enough stiction in my RA that I have never really trusted my balance 100%.

Then I ran across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-wRj9-3pGs

Turns out, there is an easy fix for it.  It's about $7.50 on Losmandy's site.

Just a tip.

I'm waiting for mine. I'll let you know how it works

Jeremy Parker

Hi Chris,

I had the same issue, and so I did buy the wavy washer from Losmandy. I put it in, with a little wax lubricant to coat it, which hasn't seemed to migrate at all onto the clutch plate 'friction' surface. I can much more easily find my balance point, so I'd recommend it. I'd like to get one for my DEC too, just so I can move it around more easily with the clutch disengaged.

Regards,
Jeremy

Steve Siedentop

FYI -

I think the $7.50 part you’re referring to, CKSW, is the RA clutch knob spring washer, not the larger RA spring washer.

It’s not listed on their website and I had to call and order it.  They were very helpful, had them in stock, and the cost was $10.00 shipped via first class mail.

-Steve

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 9:02 PM chris_moses@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

I have enough stiction in my RA that I have never really trusted my balance 100%.

Then I ran across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-wRj9-3pGs

Turns out, there is an easy fix for it.  It's about $7.50 on Losmandy's site.

Just a tip.

I'm waiting for mine. I'll let you know how it works

W. Christopher Moses

Good catch

W. Christopher Moses

I just installed the wavy washer.  It makes a BIG difference.  The RA moves much more freely when disengaged.  It isn't 100% free, but very good.

I'll do a little searching and see if people recommending any grease on the new washer.  The potential problem would be that it migrates to the plates and then the RA slips, even when tightened down.

For $10, it is probably the best mount upgrade I've ever done.  It took 5 minutes and no tools.

Between ES and Losmandy, I love this thing.

BTW - I shot video of most of the procedure and the change.  I'll try to edit it (been a long time since I've done that) and get it up for people to see.

W. Christopher Moses

What brand of lubricant would you recommend?

W. Christopher Moses

It's a pendulum

After putting in the wavy washer with just a tad bit of grease on it, my RA is so nice and loose it will swing back and forth like a pendulum!  Amazing difference!

Video of it:

Just call Losmandy and tell them you want the RA wavy washer. They will know what you are talking about.

Jeremy Parker

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay. I used a bicycle chain lubricant called 'White Lightning Clean Ride' which is basically a wax type of lubricant that is in suspension and dries after being applied. Rubbing a bar of paraffin wax on the washer may work just as well.

Regards,
Jeremy

Steve Siedentop

I just got mine today and it definitely makes a difference.

I noticed that the DEC axis also has the indents to allow for this spring washer and it looks to be the same size.  It's cheap enough that I may just get another one for the DEC axis if for no other reason than to make balancing in DEC easier.

-Steve

W. Christopher Moses

I haven't heard of anyone using it in DEC.  Have you?  It sounds like a good idea to me.
Maybe I'll take it out of the RA just to see how much it helps DEC.
Keep us posted