Updated Knowledge Base on Explore Scientific Website

hubbell_jerry@...

I have reorganized the knowledge base articles for the PMC-Eight to make it easier to find what you are looking for. I have revised them to have the question as the title of the article and updated the content of the answers. I will continue to add articles (mostly on the technical side) as time goes on based on all the questions I have received and answered over the past year and a half about the PMC-Eight system. Please let me know what you think about the new structure. I probably will add a section for the Application Notes as I create additional ones.

Here is the link:

http://hosted.comm100.com/knowledgebase/Category.aspx?id=5000000&siteid=56501

Jerry Hubbell

Director Electrical Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC

Robert Hoskin <r_hoskin@...>

Jerry,

IMO, a good start. I took a quick look in general, and watched the video "how do I install Explorestars and the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver".  Hit a couple of bumps with that:

- A bit confusing that they're back-to-back in the same video, as they're mutually exclusive and have different use cases.  Might want to re-edit into two videos.
- The current downloads web page doesn't have the ASCOM platform link that the video talks about, anymore.  Probably should put that back.
- The PMC-8 driver file named on the page doesn't match the one that's physically linked.  
- The file that's physically linked is just ES_PMC8_Setup.exe.  No version in the name, and when you click on it, a security warning is thrown (win 7) "publisher could not be verified", "no valid digital signature".  Norton warns as well, as it's only seen the file a very few times before.

The antivirus thing, at least, appears to be easy enough to get past.  I had Webroot give a false positive on my astro laptop, over the new version of DSS.  Posted a note on the new DSS forum, the developers uploaded a copy (somewhere... :-) on the Webroot site for them to check, and poof, it was moved to the whitelist.  I expect the same holds for Norton.

Hope this helps...

- Bob

To: ESPMC-Eight@...
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2018 12:12 PM
Subject: [ESPMC-Eight] Updated Knowledge Base on Explore Scientific Website

I have reorganized the knowledge base articles for the PMC-Eight to make it easier to find what you are looking for. I have revised them to have the question as the title of the article and updated the content of the answers. I will continue to add articles (mostly on the technical side) as time goes on based on all the questions I have received and answered over the past year and a half about the PMC-Eight system. Please let me know what you think about the new structure. I probably will add a section for the Application Notes as I create additional ones.

Here is the link:

Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC

W. Christopher Moses

Sounds great.
    If you want me to write-up some stuff on some of the issues we went over a while ago I'll be happy to.  Maybe:
1. Doing a star-cross test / Testing your guide camera
2. Switching from wired to wireless and when to use each
3. Relationship between explore stars and ASCOM.

BTW - I wrote a simple terminal program, especially for the PMC-8.  It has buttons for common PMC-8 commands. I wrote it mainly to speed up interactions with the PMC-8 in the field.  I.e.  I don't want to have to look up commands in the dark.   Right now it only works for wired, but I'm planning on adding wireless tonight or tomorrow. 
I'll put it on Git.  If anybody wants any more functionality, just let me know.

hubbell_jerry@...

Thanks Chris,  whatever you wish to write up is fine, I can add it as a technical article. I will attribute it to you of course. Your program sounds good also. We can create an article for that also which will include the link.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Steve Siedentop

I was actually in the beginning stages of designing this very thing.  I'd definitely be interested in checking it out.

-Steve