ES Losmandy G11 PMC-Eight One-Piece-Worm (OPW) Available Soon

hubbell_jerry@...

I wanted to update everyone about the work I have been doing to provide a version of the One-Piece-Worm (OPW) for our version of the Losmandy G11. Scott Losmandy has recently completed his evaluation or our motor assembly for fitness to the OPW and has determined that it will work fine with a small modification.

So in about 2-4 weeks we will have available for order on our website the Losmandy OPW for the ES Losmandy G11 PMC-Eight mount system. I will be reporting any status updates on this item on this forum and on CloudyNights in the Vendors Forum.

We have not made a decision yet about delivering the system with the OPW already installed on the G11, but I am sure we will decide that soon.

I want to thank everyone again for you continued support of our products and look forward to working with you in the future for your astronomy equipment needs.

Jerry Hubbell

Director Electrical Engineering

Steve Siedentop

Are you able to comment on whether or not there will be a charge to the coupler?

-Steve

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 3:47 PM hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Steve,

If you are asking if we are going to provide upgraded couplers for free, then no, we will probably provide the upgraded Ruland couplers at our cost to those customers that want to upgrade. The cost would be substantially less than if you were to buy them from Ruland however. We have not set a price point yet, but depending on the customer's specific needs, it may be worth the upgrade.

I have just received the Ruland couplers from Alex and am going to install them in the next day or two and do some testing to determine if, with a good motor/worm shaft alignment, they make a significant difference in PE. If the existing couplers are used with a well aligned motor/worm shaft (pretty much what I have in the observatory) then installing the new Ruland couplers may not add any value. That's the purpose of my testing.

We will be making a statement soon talking about this issue and what our customers need to do to 1) determine and document they have the problem, and 2) determine what the proper fix is, whether just adjustment, replacing the motor plates, and/or replacing the couplers with the current ones, or upgraded ones.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

W. Christopher Moses

Thanks for the upate

Jeremy Parker

Hi Jerry,

Can you comment on how the new OPWB will attach to the motor? Will it use the existing motor mounting plate? If so, there are four hex bolts that secure the plate to the motor. They seem like they're an odd-size, as none of my hex keys would fit properly, metric or standard. Can you say what size these hex bolts are? I'm guessing that the plate would have to be removed to allow access to the 'empty' holes that would likely need to be used from the opposite side to bolt into the OPWB.

Regards,
Jeremy

hubbell_jerry@...

I have not seen the modification needed for the OPW that Scott Losmandy will do, but I do know, based on Tanya's comments, that the existing, delivered, PMC-Eight motor assembly will mate up with the OPW for the PMC-Eight version. The motor uses metric hex head screws that are size 4-M3.  Here is the motor datasheet for the G11 motor

The 2 holes that the plate itself uses to mount to the G11 are the standard ones that Losmandy specs. These holes are used for the motors that the Gemini system uses. So there is no change there.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Jeremy Parker

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the info on the motor, etc.

If the Explore Scientific OPWB is supposed to be the same as the Gemini G11, then the motor should bolt somehow to the OPWB (or vice-versa) only. The motor and OPWB are supposed to be coupled together as one unit, with the only attachment to the G11 being by the two hex bolts that are currently used to adjust the mesh. This is a good site for some detailed pictures of the setup:

Those 2 existing screw holes in the G11 base plate should not be used with the OPWB as I understand it. If they were used to fasten the motor/OPWB to the G11, then it would render the worm adjustment knob useless/ineffective (because a fine angle adjustment of the mesh would not be possible).

Maybe I should reach out to Scott to see what the plan is for the ES G11?

Regards,
Jeremy

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Jeremy,

I see what you are saying. Maybe Scott has an alternative mounting for the legacy motor system that the PMC-Eight motors can use. I am sure he has it figured out based on the motor assembly we sent him.