loud noise

Brent Phillips

I have noticed a loud noise coming from the motors on the right ascension.  it only happens when the top of the mount is moving to the west.  when it moves to the East it is quiet.  I have checked the balance and everything is balanced good.  Any ideas on what this might be?

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Brent,

Is the noise you hear kind of a ratcheting sound?  If so it sounds like the torque required to move the mount is exceeding the torque applied by the motor. The stepper motors will do this if the mount is out of balance (which is not your issue) or if the gear mesh is tight in a certain location where the worm interfaces with the wheel (sometimes called the ring gear). In this case your mount needs to be adjusted. There are instructions on the Losmandy website on how to adjust the worm mesh for the mount here:

I suggest that you disconnect the motor coupler prior to adjusting the worm and then after it looks and feels good when rotating the worm by hand, then reconnect the motor. I know others on the forum can give you additional advice on how to do this. You can also search the G11 forum for additional information.

If you are not sure about doing this, or want to have Explore Scientific adjust your mount, then you should call Customer Service at 866-252-3811 or write service@...

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

W. Christopher Moses

I would try it without any gear or counterweight on it. Is it still moving?

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM, brent.phillips79@... [ESPMC-Eight]
wrote:

I have noticed a loud noise coming from the motors on the right ascension.  it only happens when the top of the mount is moving to the west.  when it moves to the East it is quiet.  I have checked the balance and everything is balanced good.  Any ideas on what this might be?

Brent Phillips

thank you for the reply I will look at the adjustment

Brent Phillips

that was the fix thank you