PMC-8 Helper2, POTH, & ASCOMPAD

Jennifer Shelly

I am having trouble getting POTH to play nice with ASCOMPAD. I used Chris' PMC-8 Helper2 tool to switch from Wi-Fi to serial mode (thank you Chris for doing this for all of us non-developers out there). Per Chris' suggestion I entered debug mode (other tab) to confirm that I was indeed connected in serial mode. I calibrated and assigned buttons to my Xbox controller via ASCOMPAD. I did not install EQMOD.ASCOM because PMC-8 is not supported. I can connect ASCOMPAD directly to the ES PMC-8 driver and an connect the PMC-8 driver to POTH, but can't connect ASCOMPAD to POTH. I get a message stating access denied the COM port is already being used. When I connect ASCOMPAD directly to the PMC-8 driver I can get the mount to move with the Xbox controller.

I am using Win 10 Pro 64bit OS and in order to activate the port I have to go to Device Manager and scan for hardware changes. I am using a Sabrent R232 to USB2.0 FDSI chip cable and installed Sabrent's FDSI driver. The COM port remains the same at 7 on my system.

Am I missing something? Do I need to install EQMOD.ASCOM? I am not a developer so I am lost on how to resolve errors in the log file.

FYI - I submitted a request to join the EQMOD group a few days ago and have not received approval as of yet, so I can't access any of the files that are referred to in the EQMOD instructions.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Jennifer Shelly

Update - I was approved for the EQMOD group and did not know it.

Jennifer Shelly

UPDATE - I still need help.  Any takers?

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,
I can't help you much with eqmod.  I've been meaning to play around with it myself.  But it looks like you got my utility to work OK?  One thing to do is close down the utility before trying to access the port with another program.  Windows is picky about multiple programs accessing the com port at the same time.

Having to "activate" the port like that sounds a little odd.  Can you detail you procedure a little bit more, please?

W. Christopher Moses

I'll be pulling my scope indoors after tonight.  I'll try to replicate your setup tomorrow.

Jennifer Shelly

Thanks Chris. I activate the port by going to device manager and scan for hardware changes.
Akso it seems my connection to com 7 times out. I changed the setting in device manager for the USB root hub to not allow windows to turn off to save power. When I ran Ascom diagnostics I receive 1 fail and 1 exception.  I will upload the log and a screen shot of the ascomoad error shortly.

Jennifer

Jennifer Shelly

Attached are some screen shots of the errors and com port setup.

Jennifer Shelly

Here are some screen shots of the PMC-8 Helper in action.

Jennifer Shelly

ASCOM diagnostic log and profiles.

Steve Siedentop

Sorry if this has already been answered, but what’s the connection to EQMOD in this scenario?  Unless you’re using a SkyWatcher or Orion mount, EQMOD isn’t going to be useful.

-Steve

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 8:05 PM drunkendogg@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

UPDATE - I still need help.  Any takers?

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,
I'm about to start trying to replicate your setup.  Just to make sure I understand - you are just trying to connect to ASCOMPAD to POTH right?

Jennifer Shelly

Correct

Jennifer Shelly

Steve - That is exactly what I was trying to find out if it was needed at all.

Steve Siedentop

I was thinking about this, and conceptually, EQMOD might work if you’re connecting to a POTH.  I’m rolling this around in my head right now, so it’s all just speculation.  I think I still have everything installed on my Compute Stick for EQMOD, and I’ll try to test it when I get home tonight.

Controlling a PMC8 with EQMOD is an interesting idea.  I’ll keep you posted.

-Steve

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 4:48 PM drunkendogg@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

Steve - That is exactly what I was trying to find out if it was needed at all.

Jennifer Shelly

Thanks.  I appreciate it.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Everyone,  I had a chance to check out the forum this evening. As far as using EQMOD, it is only for Synta mounts (SkyWatcher and Orion EQ6 and Atlas for example). My first mount back in 2009 was a SkyWatcher EQ6 Pro mount and I used EQMOD for several years with that mount. It is an excellent ASCOM driver and hub (server) that has had a long development history.

The EQMOD driver only uses the Synta command language, it does not know anything about the Explore Scientific PMC-Eight command language. The ASOMPAD program is an ASCOM Client program that can be used with any ASCOM driver. ASCOMPAD was developed in conjunction with the EQMOD driver and that functionality is integrated in the EQMOD driver.

So, to use the ASCOMPAD Client program along with other ASCOM clients you need to connect the clients to the POTH driver hub (server) with the POTH connected to the PMC-Eight ASCOM Driver.

I hope that makes sense!

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.