California and Heart Nebulae

Steve Siedentop

Edited

These are two single 5 minute ISO 1600 exposures on a Central DS CDS600 camera with the sensor temp at around 21 degrees Fahrenheit and a 7 nm h-Alpha filter so I could test while the moon was full.  The scope is an Explore Scientific ED127 FCD100 with a .8 reducer/flattener.  You'll notice at the edges it's a better reducer than a flattener on this scope.  To be fair, the reducer/flattener is designed for the ED152.  The only processing done here is a single stretch to dial back the red.  Stars look ok, but I had an odd set of PHD2 corrections occurring about every 90 seconds in RA.  This is the first time I've had a chance to get it out and image with it.

Steve Siedentop

Edited

I just realized that I left the mount info out...oops!

Explore Scientific G-11 PMC-8

-Steve

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 1:16 PM Steve Siedentop <sdsiedentop@...> wrote:
These are two single 5 minute ISO 1600 exposures on a Central DS CDS600 camera with the sensor temp at around 21 degrees Fahrenheit and a 7 nm h-Alpha filter so I could test while the moon was full.  The scope is an Explore Scientific ED127 FCD100 with a .8 reducer/flattener.  You'll notice at the edges it's a better reducer than a flattener on this scope.  To be fair, the reducer/flattener is designed for the ED152.  The only processing done here is a single stretch to dial back the red.  Stars look ok, but I had an odd set of PHD2 corrections occurring about every 90 seconds in RA.  This is the first time I've had a chance to get it out and image with it.

W. Christopher Moses

Nice job!
What is that camera you are using?

Steve Siedentop

Thanks, Chris!  I'm using a CDS-600D...a cooled DSLR from Central DS.  It starts out life as a Canon T3i and Central DS pulls the circuitboard and sensor out, integrates a TEC, and places it all in an aluminum casing with a heat sink and a fan.  This model has been discontinued and replaced by the CDS-600D II.  Out of all the cameras I've owned (SBIG, ZWO, Canon) this is my favorite.

CDS-600D
http://www.centralds.net/cam/?p=1687

CDS-600D II
http://www.centralds.net/cam/?p=7372