connecting to CdC

Larry White <p23lwhite@...>

Edited

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I'm trying to connect my EXOS2-GT to CdC and I keep getting the error message:

Objective variable or With block variable not set.  What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Thanks for help
Larry

Larry,

They don't connect directly, you need ASCOM acting as a messaging hub between your PMC8 and (say) CdC.

So...

Command ASCOM w/PMC8 driver to connect to the PMC8 first, via the button on the POTH panel.  You should then see the little POTH panel lit up and connected to the scope.  Don't be surprised if you have to command POTH to connect two or three times, before it works - that's my experience anyway (wired connection).
This all assumes that your physical connection to the PMC8 (wifi or cable) is working as it should, and that the parameters in the driver are correctly set up.

Then tell CdC to connect to the POTH hub, (NOT the PMC8).  Should work fine.

Hope this helps...

- Bob

Steve Siedentop

Hi Larry -

I haven't seen that error before.  A couple of questions...

Are you using the latest version of the ASCOM platform (4.6) available here:  https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/ASCOMPlatform/releases/download/Platform6.4Release/ASCOMPlatform64.exe

Also, are you using the latest version of the ES PMC8 driver available here:  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0390/6029/files/ES_PMC8_Setup.exe?10705328785478189986

Screenshots of your process would be helpful if you can get them.

The way I connect to CdC:

Open POTH
Connect POTH to the PMC8
Open CdC
Connect CdC to POTH
Unpark scope in the POTH control window
Switch to CdC, select object and slew to object

Larry White <p23lwhite@...>

Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  It is greatly appreciated!

Here in St Louis we’ve had  hot, sticky weather with crappy skies all summer so I’ve been working with my new tripod indoors all summer.  I had everything working (even had the Xbox controller working).  First chance I get to take the darn thing outside nothing wants to work.  All the cable connections are tight, good power, etc  I’ve made no changes to the ASCOM driver, CdC or ASCOMPAD

When I launch CdC and select connect telescope up pops a small window.  Poth Hub is the “telescope”  Click connect and up pops the error message mention below.

You say “Commnad ASCOM w.PMC8 driver to connect to the PMC8”.  Don’t want to sound like complete newbie, but to make sure I’m not missing something, how exactly is that done.  I’ve must have done it before cause everything was working while indoors.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

They don't connect directly, you need ASCOM acting as a messaging hub between your PMC8 and (say) CdC.

So...

Command ASCOM w/PMC8 driver to connect to the PMC8 first, via the button on the POTH panel.  You should then see the little POTH panel lit up and connected to the scope.  Don't be surprised if you have to command POTH to connect two or three times, before it works - that's my experience anyway (wired connection).
This all assumes that your physical connection to the PMC8 (wifi or cable) is working as it should, and that the parameters in the driver are correctly set up.

Then tell CdC to connect to the POTH hub, (NOT the PMC8).  Should work fine.

Hope this helps...

- Bob

Larry White <p23lwhite@...>

Thanks Steve

Yes, both the ASCOM platform and the ESPMC8 driver are the latest versions.  Your flowchart is the way I understand how things work and the way I thought I had things configured.

I will have to wait until later this afternoon to post screen shots.  Looking forward to another clear night with relative good seeing.  Hope to get up and running before dark.

One question, at the risk of sounding like a complete dork, but I want to make sure I’m doing everything correctly.  When you say “Open POTH”  How exactly do you do that?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I haven't seen that error before.  A couple of questions...

Are you using the latest version of the ASCOM platform (4.6) available here:  https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/ASCOMPlatform/releases/download/Platform6.4Release/ASCOMPlatform64.exe

Also, are you using the latest version of the ES PMC8 driver available here:  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0390/6029/files/ES_PMC8_Setup.exe?10705328785478189986

Screenshots of your process would be helpful if you can get them.

The way I connect to CdC:

Open POTH
Connect POTH to the PMC8
Open CdC
Connect CdC to POTH
Unpark scope in the POTH control window
Switch to CdC, select object and slew to object

Larry,

I'm on Win7, so you'll have to apply some poetic license to this for Win10, but...
I have an ASCOM icon on my lower task bar that starts POTH.  I can also get to it from the Start>ASCOM Platform 6 >Scope-Dome Hubs> POTH Scope-Dome Hub.

Click that icon, and the POTH applet appears.  It has buttons on it for Connect, Setup, etc., and indicates the status of the scope

- Bob

Steve Siedentop

Hi Larry -

The name isn't particularly intuitive, but here's where it is in your start menu...

Click Setup...

Click Choose Scope

Choose the PMC8 Driver and click Properties

Configure the PMC8 driver, particularly site data...

-Steve

Steve Siedentop

Back to the error that spawned your original question...

Are you connected to the PMC8 via WiFi when you're getting the ASCOM error?
Or are you connected with a serial cable?

-Steve

Larry White

Thanks Steve,

POTH Scope-Dome hub was not in my ASCOM start-up path but I found it in explorer and dragged it to my desktop.  Now I'm back on familiar ground and have everything working again.

Thanks to all who took the time to help out.  It is much appreciated!

Larry

Larry White <p23lwhite@...>

Serial cable

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Back to the error that spawned your original question...

Are you connected to the PMC8 via WiFi when you're getting the ASCOM error?
Or are you connected with a serial cable?

-Steve

Steve Siedentop

One more question...have you gone through the process (manually or using Chris Moses' application) to switch the PMC8 controller from WiFi mode to Serial mode?

Going out on a bit of a limb, but if it's still in WiFi mode and you're trying to connect to the serial port, that may explain the error.

-Steve

Thanks everyone for helping Larry out while I was MIA,  I returned back from the Almost Heaven Star Party on Monday evening and was busy yesterday taking care of some other things so I was away from my computer all day yesterday. I see that you have things working now Larry, but wanted to mention a couple of things that I have seen. It is possible to connect CdC directly to the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver as long as you have the 32-bit version of CdC. The 64-bit version of CdC is not compatible with the 32-bit version of the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver and will throw an exception when trying to connect, but I don't think it is the one you are seeing. I plan on recompiling the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver as a 64-bit driver, but in general, if you plan on connecting more than one client program such as CdC and SGP or other client at the same time, you need to use the POTH. Also, please note that the latest driver has a release date of 06/28/2018

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering

Larry White <p23lwhite@...>

No I’m in serial port mode.  But I would like to know more about Chris Moses’ application.  Jerry stepped me through the process of switching back and forth when I first got my PMC8 last spring but I long since misplaces my notes.  Do you have a link?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

One more question...have you gone through the process (manually or using Chris Moses' application) to switch the PMC8 controller from WiFi mode to Serial mode?

Going out on a bit of a limb, but if it's still in WiFi mode and you're trying to connect to the serial port, that may explain the error.

-Steve

Steve Siedentop

In the files section under User Contributions...

https://groups.io/g/ESPMC-Eight/files/User%20Contributions

PMC8Helper2.exe

-Steve

Darryl Ellis

Hi Steve and All,

I hope this post is still active as it is relevant to my current situation.

I am getting the following error when trying to select the telescope from the POTH module:  Access to the port Com6 denied.  (See attached for exact language).

When I installed my driver for the serial cable it put it in Com6, and that is what is showing in my Device Manager and what populates in the ES PMC8 driver.  How do i correct this so the POTH can get my RA and DEC position readings?

Thanks,

Darrryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,

Darryl Ellis

Error Screenshot attached.
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

Hi Darryl,

             Sorry to know that you are having issues
 Is it possible for you to allow one of us to access your system via teamviewer? It might be better if we try to replicate it ourselves. I also ran into the same issue and it turned out my PMC8 firmware was corrupt.

Sunil

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019, 10:45 AM Darryl Ellis via Groups.Io <dhellis1959=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Error Screenshot attached.
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Darryl Ellis

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for the offer, but I'd rather you direct/show me how to fix it myself.  That way I learn something in the process.  It is why I enjoy this hobby.  I am always learning.

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

 Darryl ,

                 Perfectly understand your reasoning there. A few things :

1. You are absolutely sure that the PMC8 is in Serial mode?
2.Navigating through POTH >> ES PMC8 Driver >> There  are a couple of radio buttons . Is the Serial mode enabled or Wifi? Can you verify this?
3. Depending on the number of devices, the USB number might change, especially if you use a hub. Have you tried other port numbers?

Sunil

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 02/09/19, 4:28:52 PM

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 03:35 AM, Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran wrote:
I also ran into the same issue and it turned out my PMC8 firmware was corrupt.
Hi Sunil,
The problem that Darryl is having has nothing to do with the firmware. Perhaps you are talking about the problems you were having with your Windows 10 system?

I don't think you really mean the firmware was corrupt. That's very misleading. I am not sure what you are referring to, but the only firmware issue we had was that your Lodestar camera ST4 did not provide the required "contact closure" input to the PMC-Eight so I had to work with you to take data from your camera and recalibrate your PMC-Eight ST4 port. After that it was all good as I recall.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data