locked Should We Have A Subgroup or 2 On This Forum? #poll

I am a member of the ASCOM-Talk Groups.io forum as a developer, and they have setup their group with 2 subgroups, the Help (which is the main) group and the Developer group.
Do you think we should create a similar structure for the PMC-Eight forum?

We have discussed this in the OpenGOTO Community Steering Committee meetings, but I would also like our forum member input on this question.

This is a multiple choice question.

Results

See Who Responded

Currently, with 9 members chiming in, it looks like the consensus so far is to add 2 subgroups, a general HELP subgroup and a LOSMANDY G11 subgroup. There is a smattering of votes for the other choices, but nothing else stands out so far.I plan on letting this poll run for at least 2 weeks to see how much of the membership responds. Right now the response rate is 10% which is fairly good.

Thanks

jrh@...

Jerry,

I transferred to ASCOM-Talk a couple of days ago, and now see what their arrangement is.

Help is the Main/top group, and Developer is a sub to that.  That seems pretty sensible, and their admins probably don't have to spend much time shifting posts around.  Newbies seeking help will post in the first place they hit ('Help'), and developers likely learn to go down to 'Developer' pretty quickly. There shouldn't be that much day-to-day crossover between the groups.

That's the thing kind of concerning me about creating subs here...  If someone posts that they are having a problem, they often first need help isolating the problem.  If you think of the solution stack (roughly... mount head -> drive -> pmc-8 -> cable/wireless -> computer/tablet -> controlware -> user), that's quite understandable.  And everything from the PMC-8 on north, is modular and common across mount families.  I expect that you'll be releasing that new small mount soon, and that will increase the permutations.

So... someone with a specific mount may raise an issue and find out later that the issue has nothing to do with their specific mount, but with something common, or just a user error, any of which others might learn from.

I guess all I'm really saying is that however you decide to structure things, I'd suggest that you try to keep all of the "Help" posts in one place, and if you do subs, that they be natural communities for other things, so you're not having to do a lot of admin work moving posts around to maintain forum integrity.

FWIW...

- Bob

Hi Bob,

I appreciate and agree with what you are saying. I think we should minimize the amount of related groups to 2 or maybe 3 at the most. I know that there has been previous comments about discussing mount issues amongst the discussions about the PMC-Eight control system. So maybe the subgroups would be:

PMC-Eight MAIN - General discussion about the PMC-Eight/OpenGOTO Community. This is current group.
PMC-Eight MOUNTS - Discussion about the mount hardware. This may include Help on a mount specific issues.
PMC-Eight HELP - General questions to the forum to solve problems, or questions about PMC-Eight Information available.

There are so many different ways to approach this, the goal would be to keep the number of sub groups below 3 I think. Perhaps if these 3 groups work we can refine the definition of what should be posted there.

Thanks

jrh@...

Larry White

Jerry,

Trying to look at this as a new EXOS-2 PMC-eight user (which I am) and questions I have and had.  I agree to the number of groups being less than three.  I believe the three you ‘ve suggested will cover over 95% of the topics new users might have.

Larry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10