jrh@...

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Tim,

Wes is right, you can use the arrow keys on the little POTH applet to move the scope.  If you want something a bit more tactile, you could use ASCOMPAD and a joystick.  CdC can do its own sync on a target once you have it centered, just tell it to.   I don't use either, as I'm only interested in AP, so one target a night does it for me (on a good night...) and I get where I'm going with plate solving.

Anyway... You probably want to use EITHER Explorestars OR ASCOM (w/CdC or whatever), and not mix the two.  If you're over on the ASCOM side, you have options for moving the scope.

We're leaning off-topic from the thread subject line, so if you want more, probably best to change that.

- Bob

Wes Mcdonald

Pretty sure you can use POTH to move the scope from your computer when connected to CdC, though in truth its been awhile since I used that.

Wes.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:05 PM Tim Robertson <cometman@...> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 06:53 AM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific wrote:
Thanks again Jerry, I downloaded Cartes du Ciel and got it working. Looks like I need to use Explore Stars to move the telescope to get it aligned with the alignment stars, then sync the Cartes du Ciel control to it. Wish there was a way to move the telescope manually in Cartes du Ciel. That would be much easier than switching back and forth between programs.
Tim

Tim Robertson

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 06:53 AM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific wrote:
Thanks again Jerry, I downloaded Cartes du Ciel and got it working. Looks like I need to use Explore Stars to move the telescope to get it aligned with the alignment stars, then sync the Cartes du Ciel control to it. Wish there was a way to move the telescope manually in Cartes du Ciel. That would be much easier than switching back and forth between programs.
Tim

Tim Robertson

Thanks Jerry-

I am still waiting for clear, smoke free skies to bring out my new ES scope and mount. I have been using Earth Centered Universe as my telescope control software on my other setup, but I can't seen to get it to sync up with this setup.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

The format for the database is xml but the Windows ExploreStars version of the dataset is going to change when the Windows version of the ExploreStars is updated and compiled under the Windows Universal Platform. I think the Android has the new structure currently and the iOS version which will be released soon also has the same structure. I will contact Dan to find out what his plan are currently for sharing that information.

This structure only applies to the stellar and other "fixed" objects in the sky (nebulae, clusters, galaxies, etc).  The solar system objects are fixed currently in the ExploreStars dataset and are built into the programs Ephemeris routine that I wrote. We would need to build a user interface to store and use user defined solar system objects into the program. It's possible, but this is the first time we have had a request for it. Typically if you are going to image these objects, you would use the ASCOM connection with your own third party program such as Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, or other programs that allow you to download the MPO minor planet dataset. This is what I do when doing my minor planet or comet imaging. I will talk to our developer about this and see how much work it would be.

FYI - When I wrote the ephemeris code, I used this reference to create it.
www.stjarnhimlen.se/comp/ppcomp.html

Thanks

jrh@...

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Tim Robertson

Edited

Are there any plans for a user defined database of objects for the Explore Stars program?

I am thinking of one where we can enter comet and minor planet ephemeris into the system and have it calculate current positions?

Thanks

Tim