ExploreStars iOS

Scott W. Roberts - President Explore Scientific, LLC.

Edited

Good morning everyone!

I have been on ES's customer service lines quite a bit this holiday season. The response to the iOS version of ExploreStars was very positive. Not sure if you saw the facebook posting about this new development from our community.

See: https://www.facebook.com/ExploreScientificUSA/videos/1978168785592456/

Scott

Frank Kaszubowski

Congrats!

I was looking for the iOS-release with my IPhone for several months by searching the AppStore in vain.
Only by chance I found it yesterday with my IPad and downloaded it immediatetly. It worked without any problems and seems to be more overseeable than my Windows version.

The only problem I had was when I tried to use the search bar. When I entered for example "M 33" or anything else and touched the return key nothing happened. Have I missed anything? 🤔

Merry Christmas

Did you try searching for M33 without the space?

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Frank Kaszubowski

Yes, both versions in vain. 🤔
But only within the App.
The exos2 wasn‘t connected.
Is it necessary?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Harry

Hello, I also have the same issue with my Ipad, running IOS 12.1.1. And it is not yet connected to my
iExos 100 mount, as it should be delivered tomorrow.

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

The IOS version will ONLY run on a tablet. It will not run on a phone. That's why you could not see it in the App Store.

Wes Mcdonald

I have also noted this issue.  Will connect it all up this afternoon to see if connection makes a difference although I can't see how it might.

I can confirm the issue exists both for an attached keyboard (bluetooth) and the Ipad soft keyboard.

Wes.

Stephen Vickers - Explore Scientific Developer <stephen.vickers@...>

I can confirm, as I’m one of the programmers working on it, We know the search bar isn’t working and we are working on it right now to get it going in a future update.
I’m sorry for any inconvenience this has caused to anyone. We (Dan and I) are currently working on it.

Thanks,
Stephen Vickers

Explore Scientific

o. 866.252.3811
m. 870.654.6995
stephen.vickers@...

On Dec 26, 2018, at 9:50 AM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

I have also noted this issue.  Will connect it all up this afternoon to see if connection makes a difference although I can't see how it might.

I can confirm the issue exists both for an attached keyboard (bluetooth) and the Ipad soft keyboard.

Wes.

Steve Mallia

I've been able to connect to my iEXOS mount with no issue using the iOS Explore Stars.

What I'm not a fan of is when I goto align the software picks a star and starts moving the mount.  I want to be able to select my own alignment star and then tell the mount to go.  I want to ahve full control.  A selected star that the app selects and start going to might not be visible.

Any chances of this being changed?

Thanks

steve,

G-man

I agree.

I posted the same observation on another thread. IMO the App should not slew the mount unless you specifically push a button to do so.

G.

Hi Steve,

Dan and Stephen are working on the iOS app as there are a couple of other issues also. I am sure that the updated app will be released soon.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

w3gp@...

Steve

While I agree that the app needs work you can stop the slew by hitting the CAT button. As I mentioned to Jerry last week (see below), however, that involves an addition quirk.

FYI there is quirk in the iOS version when choosing other alignment stars. As you suggested if you do not wish to use the first alignment star offered you can click CAT and then Alignment and choose another star. However, when you click slew to target it begins slewing to the star originally offered and not the one just selected BUT if you then tap GoTo it’s switches to the newly selected star.

Regards, George

Steve Mallia

Is there an update on this?

I haven't seen any notifications that the iOS app has been updated to correct the alignment issue.   The mount shouldn't just take off when you select a 2 or 3 star alignment.  It should allow you to select a star and you tell the mount to go.

Of course. As I have posted previously, we are working on the issues and we will be releasing a version when we get everything right.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data