locked What Is Your Experience Level With GOTO Mounts? #poll

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

Edited

Since we are a growing forum with several people joining lately every week with our new iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight mount system available, I wanted to get a feel for the level of experience our customers bring to the table. This will help me to understand if our level of documentation and support is sufficient to help our new customers have a great initial experience with our mounts. Please select one from the answers below.

Results

This is just a repost to get new users to respond to the poll

Thanks!
--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Larry Young

Intermediate, I've had an Alt Az Celestron SE for 5 years.  I have used it with a wedge and polar aligned but the limitations were holding me back.  The Exos2gt is my first GEM.

Larry

Hi Larry, did you see the poll?
--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

Richard Kirsch <Kirsch41@...>

I’m decidedly a beginner.  I’ve had a Celestron 6SE with Wi-Fi and StarSense for about a year and 1/2.  I’ve done fairly well taking pics of planets using both a DSLR or Revolution Imager II.  I’ve not had success with deep space objects.  I’d heard that it’s best to have a wider field and that a refractor is ideal.  I decided to invest in a William Optics 61mm APO refractor and, most recently, an iEXOS-100.  It has been a challenge for me to get it all working, as some here have perhaps noted.  Because of physical limitations I may not get outside until the Spring. However, from inside and through our patio door window I have a decent view of the SW, W and, partially, NW sky.  I am able to focus find and track a bright object through the door.  After doing so I open the door long enough to fine focus and take some pics.  However, right now, it is -20F and I am not going to do that.

Learning the equatorial mount is a steep curve for me.  Even getting it to properly work with my iPad as a challenge, but all seems well now.  I, again, apologize for bringing some of my very “basic” astro questions to this group.

Richard

Sent from my pocket. 

On Jan 31, 2019, at 12:39 AM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific <jrh@...> wrote:

Hi Larry, did you see the poll?
--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

Larry Young

Found it, thanks.  

Edski <Edski2000@...>

I am so new I hardly know which end of the telescope to look through.  But I have a passion to learn.  

Paul Shirley

Don't really fit any of the above. I consider myself intermediate, but doing this for about 24 yrs, have used eq with digital setting circles,  celestron goto, ioptron minitower (where I learned how crucial it was to level the mount), exos-2gt, and finally exos pmc-8.  no astrophotography, purely visual.

Scott

What about Equatorial mounts? I have had an Alt Az GoTo for years, sat in on several semesters of Astonomy classes, but EQ is new to me.. And strange..