2 questions

Alberto .

Edited

Hello,

Actually 3 doubts:

1. It is possible to 'minimize' the explorestars app in android and open a different app without the mount stopping the tracking?
2. Does the explorestars app work in android 9.0 or 10.0? if not, in what android version does it work?
3. How far from the mount can I be for the wifi to work properly? and if there is a wall in between?

Thank you.

Aaron Thompson

Hello,  This has been my experience.

1) Yes you can minimize or even shut off the app once you are tracking an object.  The mount will do it on its own.   I have had my tablet run out of power and still track to take images. I have the iEXOS 100.  You can minimize or even kill the app and your mount will still slew to target and track.

2) It should work on android 9 and 10.  BUT if there are problems the guys at explore scientific have just posted a link to the previous APK that will work for you.  My tablet is 7.1.1 and it works just fine.

3) This depends on your tablet and what your walls are made of.  I have had no problems slewing to a target from my tablet when i am about 30 feet away in a basement when the mount is in the back yard through a closed door. ( Freezing cold winters ) If you can connect to the mount you will be able to send commands.

hope this helps

Alberto .

Edited

Thank you.

Is it good for astrophotography with a skywatcher 130 pds of 4 kg (plus another 0.5kg of camera)?

Aaron Thompson

The Short answer is, yes.   But that is right out at the edge of what they would recommend.  And with a mount it is a good idea to be oversized as that makes the endeavor easier.

Your scope is over 500mm focal length and that is were i have found it more difficult to get longer exposures. I run unguided.  And can get 2 minute exposures with good success with that focal length.

Scope balance must be slightly heavy in the direction you are tracking.

Polar alignment needs to be spot on and a solid leveling of the base.

This has become fairly easy for me to do with the mount and in my location using the polar tunnel has become a simple task.

There are videos that will help you adjust the tension on the tracking gears in case you need to improve that.

So after some testing and adjustment I can say yes!  Some others in this forum has pushed it way beyond this weight and are successful but that is them. I am relatively new.

I have used a 500mm reflector very much like yours with a 2x barlow and a nikon dslr on Bodes ( M81 ) and tracked with success.

 I hope others chime in too with their experience.
Cheers

Alberto .

Thank you.