Topics

PMC-8 Firmware Update?

Scott Budd

Hello all. I bought an EXOSIIGT w/PCM-8 back in Oct 2017. I am ashamed to say, for one reason or another I never really used it. I think I might have taken it outside twice since I bought it. It has been sitting in a corner of my office for 14 months. Weather permitting I am going to finally get it back out and take it to a star party happening near me in a couple weeks. I noticed there is an iOS Explore Stars version now. Hurray!! I will be updating to that. But my real question is, is there a firmware update or anything I should update on the PCM-8? Since it has been sitting for over a year and I just want to make sure its ready to go. Thanks.  

Scott B

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

Hi Scott,

Welcome back, as an early PMC-Eight customer, I want to thank you for your early support and purchase. I think you will find that we have progressed quite a bit over the past year in terms of customer support and the documentation has improved and you may want to review our knowledge base articles. You should probably get started by reading my Getting Started with the PMC-Eight article: 

http://hosted.comm100.com/knowledgebase/Getting-Started-With-Your-New-PMC-Eight-Mount-Control-System_A5000021.aspx?id=5000021&siteid=56501

To answer your question, There has not been any firmware releases that are required to be installed, the firmware delivered on your system is fine. There have been updates to the software though. Both the ExploreStars application has been updated on the Windows platform, and the Android and iOS version has been released since you bought your PMC-Eight system.  The PMC-Eight ASCOM driver has been improved and you should install the latest version if you are using that.

Other than that, as you have found, we moved the PMC-Eight Support Forum from Yahoo Groups to Groups.io.  That has been a big improvement. We now also have 160 customers on the forum so this has become a great support group and your fellow PMC-Eight owners provide great advice and share their experiences using the PMC-Eight.

I wish you luck with your PMC-Eight system and look forward to hearing about your experiences.
--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Wes Mcdonald

Scott:

You need to know the iOS version does not do search.  So depending upon how you feel about finding targets using the graphical interface, that might be an issue.

If all you have seen is the Windows version, you will be pleased by the new look of the iOS and Android versions.  

Personally I find the 2-3 star alignment easier to use in the Android version than in Windows.  Owing to the iOS search problem, I haven't used it past discovering Search didn't work.

Suggest you give yourself plenty of time on the system in your garage or study etc. to learn the interface and ensure all the rivets are holding hands.

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC
PMC-8, ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

We are working on various fixes to the iOS version including the search tool. We will release it when we know these things are fixed. I will announce it on this forum when it is available.
--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!