To answer your question, There has not been any firmware releases that are required to be installed, the firmware delivered on your system is fine. There have been updates to the software though. Both the ExploreStars application has been updated on the Windows platform, and the Android and iOS version has been released since you bought your PMC-Eight system.  The PMC-Eight ASCOM driver has been improved and you should install the latest version if you are using that.

Other than that, as you have found, we moved the PMC-Eight Support Forum from Yahoo Groups to Groups.io.  That has been a big improvement. We now also have 160 customers on the forum so this has become a great support group and your fellow PMC-Eight owners provide great advice and share their experiences using the PMC-Eight.

I wish you luck with your PMC-Eight system and look forward to hearing about your experiences.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Scott:

You need to know the iOS version does not do search.  So depending upon how you feel about finding targets using the graphical interface, that might be an issue.

If all you have seen is the Windows version, you will be pleased by the new look of the iOS and Android versions.

Personally I find the 2-3 star alignment easier to use in the Android version than in Windows.  Owing to the iOS search problem, I haven't used it past discovering Search didn't work.

Suggest you give yourself plenty of time on the system in your garage or study etc. to learn the interface and ensure all the rivets are holding hands.

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

We are working on various fixes to the iOS version including the search tool. We will release it when we know these things are fixed. I will announce it on this forum when it is available.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data