New Configuration Manager (Beta) Ready For Use

W. Christopher Moses

Hi Everyone,
I've just posted a new configuration utility. It is a significant improvement over the last one I posted a while ago.
It lets you

1. Switch between connection methods (TCP, UDP, serial)
2. Send custom commands to the mount

It works with all the PMC-8 mount models.
It is still a beta. Please let me know if you find any problems.

It is called PMC8ConfigurationManager.zip and is located in the files section: https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/files/User%20Contributions

Right now it is just a zip file.  I'll build a real installer for the next version.

To use it:
1. Create a directory for it
2. Download the file to the directory
3. Unzip the file
4. You can either run the PMC8ConfigurationManager.exe directly or create a shortcut to it on your desktop

Let me know if you have any questions or problems.
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Losmandy AZ8
Scopes: Tak FSQ 106 EDX4, AT 115, WO Star 71, Mallincam RC6

Thanks Chris for getting this released.  I added a description to the file in the files section including installation instructions. Pretty much what you said here.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jeremy Parker

Thanks Chris! I downloaded it and created a shortcut to it on my desktop. I used it to switch from Serial to wireless/ExploreStars, then ran ExploreStars, then switched back to Serial and checked with POTH/ASCOM. No issues, and thanks again for the efforts!
Jeremy
--
Scope: StellarVue SV102T  & Optimus Eyepieces
Mount:  Explore Scientific PMC-Eight G11, Spring-loaded OPWB on DEC, O-Vision Worm on RA

Geoff Smith

Hi Chris
I ran it this evening and it switched back and forth between  POTH/ASCOM and ExploreStars without any problem on my windows 7 laptop.
A very useful utility- thanks very much!
Geoff

Darryl Ellis

My Windows 10 Antivirus software is preventing me from downloading the zip file.  I keep getting a notification that there is a virus detected.

It's the standard Windows 10 software and has not acted this way previously.  Just checking if anybody else ran into this.

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,

Brian Ginn

McAfee scanned both the zip file, and the extracted files without complaint.

-Brian

On 4/18/2019 7:40 PM, Darryl Ellis via Groups.Io wrote:
My Windows 10 Antivirus software is preventing me from downloading the zip file.  I keep getting a notification that there is a virus detected.

It's the standard Windows 10 software and has not acted this way previously.  Just checking if anybody else ran into this.

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

--
Brian
Thousand Oaks, CA

Mount: ES EXOS-2GT PMC-8
Controller: (ExploreStars, Android 8.1.0, 10" Samsung Tab A)
Scope: ES ED80 f/6 Triplet
Camera: Canon 6D

W. Christopher Moses

Darryl,
I would just turn it off for a minute and download it.
If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll send you a link to a version renamed to .txt.  That might get around it.
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Losmandy AZ8
Scopes: Tak FSQ 106 EDX4, AT 115, WO Star 71, Mallincam RC6
Cameras:  2x ZWO ASI1600MM-P, Nikon D5100, ZWO ASI 120
Msc: IF ONAG, Moonlight Nightcrawler, ZWO EFW
Software: PixInsights, TheSkyX Pro

Darryl Ellis

After a number of updates to my tablet, the file downloaded and extracted without a hitch.

I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, but it opened right up.

Thanks for making this available.

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Darryl Ellis

Hi Chris,

Me again, lol.

So now I have the new configuration manager up and running, but it says it cannot detect a connection with my mount.  However, I am connected via wifi to the mount according to my network manager on my tablet pc.

I was not able to connect to Explorestars though I have in the past.  I have mostly been connecting via ASCOM wifi so I can use my xbox controller.  In fact, when the configuration manager said I it did not detect a connection, I was able to move my mount via with the xbox controller via ASCOM.

Additionally, I am able to see that I my Startech FTDI cable is set for com 5, but I am not able to connect with the mount via serial cable either by way of the configuration manager or ASCOM Diagnostics.

Is there any guidance you can provide me as to get the configuration manager to see my ASCOM connection?

Thanks in advance,

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Darryl Ellis

Update:  After restarting my tablet pc, I am able to connect via Explorestars, but the Configuration Manager still says The Mount does not appear to be connected.  It does see that I am connected to the PMC 8 wifi though.

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Darryl Ellis

Update 2:  Okay, I used the advance menu and was able to configure my mount to use the serial port via UDP communication method.  It appeared to have worked as now ASCOM allows me to connect to the mount via the serial cable option.  It also recognized it was on Com 5.  I did have to change the driver from 9600 bps to 115200 in the Device Manager.

However, I am now getting an 'Error connecting with the telescope message  80040402 - ASCOM Utilities Timed out waiting for received data in the POTH' Motion Control module that allows me to use ASCOMPAD'.  In fact, it is now blank whereas before the module automatically received mount location data once I connected with the Telescope chooser.

Is this something you can help me with?

Darryl