Polemaster adapter for IEXOS 100 #ExploreScientific

Chris Tardif

Any hints on how to properly polar align this mount?  (Dont' get me started about that hole.) I have only managed to polar align once using a guide scope and sharp cap.  I think the alignment between my 30mm ZWO guide scope mounted in the hot shoe of my Canon 3ti and the 400mm Canon lens I am using is just not precise enough.

I was looking at the Polemaster...it seems to bet getting really good reviews but I didn't see a mount adapter for it and this mount.

I guess my question is for Mr. Hubbell and ES...is there a way of mounting the polemaster on this mount and do you have any hints for polar alignment?

Chris

Patrick Maher

Jerry mentioned trying to get a bracket for the Polemaster early on shortly after this mount's release.  I'd say it is still far too early to see a new mount adapter specifically for this iEXOS-100.  You can, however, mount your Polemaster on a Vixen dovetail bar.  They make an adapter (or maybe it is ADM that makes it...  can't remember for sure...  but I know that High Point Scientific sells it)  that mounts to the bottom side of the front of the dovetail bar.  This is the route I intend to go when the winter/spring skies finally clear up in my neck of the woods.  We had snow and high winds again last night and have had weeks of rain so it will be a month or so before I can begin some astronomy again.  April is usually the earliest I can start up again but this spring has been miserable for clear skies.  I'm hoping for sometime in May.

I can see how mounting on a hotshoe could be a problem.  A hotshoe still allows some side to side wobble with anything mounted in it.  Just a tiny amount of wobble would throw off alignment by tremendous amount...  probably in the 15-20 degree range.

Patrick
--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 and EXOS-2GT (non-PMC)
Explore Scientific ED 102mm Refractor

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 08:39 AM, <pwmaher@...> wrote:
Jerry mentioned trying to get a bracket for the Polemaster early on shortly after this mount's release.
Hi Patrick, Chris,

Yes, we are working on a few adapters for the iEXOS 100 mount that we hope to release sometime in the summer I would say These include a bracket for attaching a finder directly to the mount which would probably accommodate a Polemaster, and also a base plate adapter that would allow putting the mount on the larger EXOS 2 2" tripod and have a fine azimuth adjustment control like on the EXOS 2 base/tripod. These are just a couple of adapters that we are working on. I will talk to our team about maybe creating a specific adapter for the Polemaster that would be inserted into the polar alignment "tunnel" also.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jim McKee

Edited

Chris,
FYI, I am using Canon 60D and 100-400mm V2 on an ADM side-by side vixen.  Astromania 60mm on right side,  Camera on left.  Very solid. Side-by-side adds 2 lbs to mount.
I could not find a shoe adapter that didn't allow anything mounted on it to not wiggle side to side.  That is why I went to a side by side adapter.  I use Sharpcap and it works very well
/Jim

Mounts:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Lens:          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Cameras:   Canon 60D Astro Mod, Canon 7D2
Misc:          USB-to-Cat6 Extender, Astromania Red Dot sight (Flash Shoe)
                    TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. Backyard EOS, StarTools, APT, DSS
Computer:  2012 MacBook Pro Bootcamp WIN 10

Chris Tardif

That’s awesome....I have very similar gear....i have the side by side from ADM (now in a drawer next to my 60mm guide scope).  I really thought it was all too much for the little 100 so tried to slim it down using the smaller guide scope mounted on the camera.  Not having much luck.

I am going to try to realign the ZWO and the lens with a far away object and see if that helps.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

FYI, I am using Canon 60D and 100-400mm V2 on an ADM side-by side vixen.  Astromania 60mm on right side,  Camera on left.  Very solid. Side-by-side adds 2 lbs to mount.
I could not find a shoe adapter that didn't allow anything mounted on it to not wiggle side to side.  That is why I went to a side by side adapter.  I use Sharpcap and it works very well
/Jim

Mounts:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Lens:          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Cameras:   Canon 60D Astro Mod, Canon 7D2
Misc:          USB-to-Cat6 Extender, Astromania Red Dot sight (Flash Shoe)
                    TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. Backyard EOS, StarTools, APT, DSS
Computer:  2012 MacBook Pro Bootcamp WIN 10

Wes Mcdonald

Chris:

I agree it is probably the hot shoe wobble that is messing you up.  I know for a fact that the polemaster software removes the effects of cone error in pointing the camera relative to the mount axis...this is important because these are hard to make co-linear.  I believe Jim's good results with using the Sharpcap that it also finds the center of RA rotation in the presence of cone error.  So wobble is what is left.

I have used a polemaster on my Meade, which like the iEXOS100 has no place to mount it.  Additionally the Meade is a fork  mount placed on a wedge to emulate an equatorial mount.  I mount the Polemaster on the guide scope dovetail plate using an ADM camera adapter, a commodity right angle 1/2-20 camera adapter, and a 1/4-20 base adapter for the polemaster to screw it all together.  All in this does add up to a pretty good expense.  But then again so does Jims H mount solution.  The EXOS2 has a conventional GEM hole and accepts the polemaster adapter, so that was easy for me.

In the end, polar alignment is one of those things worth investing in to make it easy on yourself.  Whatever that method ends up.  For me, the polar scope was never an answer..it was too fiddly and I really can't look through it well.  The EXOS100 peep hole would be a non-starter for me also.  For me, putting in the bucks of a good eyepiece to achieve polar alignment was an easy call.  I use my polemsater everytime I set up -- I don't use my eyepieces that much.

One thing you can do that is very inexpensive and quite good for visual work is to get and use PS Align Pro.  This gives you a virtual polar alignment capability which you can do in the daylight.

Regards,
Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Chris Tardif

Wes can you post a picture of your rig?  I'd love to see how you put it together.

Until we release our mount specific solution for mounting the Polemaster, a workaround might be to get an adapter from ADM (I assume they would offer something) that would mount on your Vixen dovetail plate. That would be the best and most secure place to mount it for an accurate alignment. You would of course make sure the camera is orthogonal with the plate/mount dovetail puck to ensure it is in line with the mounts RA axis. A bit tedious, but doable I think.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Lloyd Simons <simonsl23@...>

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 12:30 PM, Lloyd Simons wrote:
I found this on their website:

https://www.admaccessories.com/product/vpa-pole-v-series-dovetail-adapter-with-polemaster/

Lloyd

This looks to me to be the best overall solution for the iEXOS 100 mount. Pretty inexpensive also. I thought that they had something but didn't take the time to find it.

Thanks!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jay Stanley

Chris,

You might want to check out Sharpcap   https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/features/polar-alignment . You might not need any adapter or Polemaster.

CS

Jay

Any hints on how to properly polar align this mount?  (Dont' get me started about that hole.) I have only managed to polar align once using a guide scope and sharp cap.  I think the alignment between my 30mm ZWO guide scope mounted in the hot shoe of my Canon 3ti and the 400mm Canon lens I am using is just not precise enough.

I was looking at the Polemaster...it seems to bet getting really good reviews but I didn't see a mount adapter for it and this mount.

I guess my question is for Mr. Hubbell and ES...is there a way of mounting the polemaster on this mount and do you have any hints for polar alignment?

Chris

Michael Fulbright

I concur - I can use Sharpcap with my 50mm guide scope or even my 8 inch Newtonian/ASI1600MM to polar align without any extra gadgets.

Michael

On 4/16/19 4:34 PM, Jay Stanley wrote:
[...]

Sounds like there's general agreement that the hotshoe mounting for the guidescope likely isn't rigid enough for the job you need it to do. From my own experience of things shifting about unasked and making trouble, I expect that hotshoe-mounted guidescope movement would impair *both* your PA and your guiding.

I think Jim gave you good advice, below - find a side-by-side adapter and move the guidescope onto it.  That should fix both the immediate PA problem as well as improve your guiding once you get going.  Provided you can make that guidescope mounting nice and rigid, you should be fine to carry on w/Sharpcap for PA.

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT

W. Christopher Moses

+1 for sharcap.  I've done a lot of writing about it on CN.  It works very well

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Losmandy AZ8
Scopes: Tak FSQ 106 EDX4, AT 115, WO Star 71, Mallincam RC6