IEXOS-100 First Light report and a few thoughts/complaints #iEXOS-100

Craig Bobchin <cbobchin@...>

All,

I've received my IEXOS-100 last week and had a chance to test it on Sat. Night for a couple of hours, and I've got a few thoughts and complaints about the mount.

As background, I'm no newbie to EQ mounts, or imaging as I've had a Losmandy G-11 for about 15 years now and have done quite a bit of imaging through it. My purpose in getting the IEXOS-100 is as a portable mount to take to dark sites to do (hopefully unguided) dslr imaging with a FF camera and variety of DSLR lenses (zooms and primes).

A few months ago I picked up a Skywatcher AZ-Gti to hopefully allow this, but I was unable to get even 30 second exposures  with a 100mm lens unguided without getting trailing. The mount works fine for visual work with an 80mm f/6.5 APO in both Alt-Az and EQ mode, but for unguided imaging it's useless. Hence the IEXOS-100.

So un-boxing and set up went well, and the mount is a lot heavier than I expected.  The Az-GTi is 10lbs complete (Head, Tripod/Wedge, and counterweight.) the IEXOS-100 head is almost that heavy. I'm not sure how far I could hike with this and the camera gear, not to mention how I'd pack it all into a camera backpack. It might not meet my portability requirements, but I'm still considering that aspect separately.

I noticed after the mount was attached to the tripod that it still rotated within the tripod mounting no matter how much I tightened the bolt on the bottom. This is my first concern, in that it won't be steady enough for imaging. I might put some felt or something to give a bit of friction there.

My biggest complaint is that I had to purchase a tablet to use the mount as I intend to. I plan on taking this to the field where I will have limited power and don't want to haul a laptop etc.. If there was a phone version of the ExploreStars app that would be ideal, but the app won't work with either my LG V10 (which I use for the Skywatcher mount) or my LG V30. This is an additional cost that I wasn't anticipating and am not thrilled about.

Alignment: First off the polar alignment bore tunnel is less than useless for my 55 year old eyes. perhaps a younger set would enable me to see Polaris through it, but I don't know. I tried shining a green laser through it, but there was no way of ensuring the laser was actually square to the tube. In the end I simply put Polaris in the center of my 16x magnified live view on the camera's LCD screen. Not ideal, but it kind of worked. Just a side note, the Az-GTi suffers the same problem of trying to get polar alignment in EQ mode, and it doesn't even have a polar bore tunnel. This mount just begs for a PA scope in the bore tunnel, as I'd be out in the field with no laptop using the Polemaster is not an option for me (I've got the Polemaster for my G-11 and believe it or not, I get better PA with the Losmandy polar scope than the Polemaster.). Another option is some form of Polar alignment correction/drift alignment tool in the app (Skywatcher has this in the Synscan app.).

The ES app is okay, once you get used to it, but could stand a lot of improvement from a UI/UX perspective. It took me a lot of hunting around to figure out how to select my own alignment stars as I have an obstructed view from my light polluted back yard. One thing I couldn't find is a way to sync on an object that is not part of the alignment process. Is there such an animal in the app? If so where? It would also be nice to be able to use SkySafari to control the mount.

Now on to the actual experience of using the mount once it was as aligned as I could get it. I was able to balance my Pentax K-1 and FA* 300mm f/4.5 using the two counterweights and a bunch of steel washers sandwiched between them.  My system for this test was about 2kg (4.75 lbs) in weight  For a mount that has a capacity of 15lbs, 2kg is not enough to balance the camera/lens combo and more counterweights are necessary, and I'm not sure where to get them. Considering I want to use a Camera/Lens combo that weighs in at 7.5lbs (3.5kg) that's a fair amount of counterweights.

The mount has a very pleasant hum when slewing and put the alignment stars pretty close to center of the F.O.V. of the unmagnified live view. A slight adjustment to center them at 16x was all that was needed. Strangely enough, this off-center alignment did not seem to improve as I added more alignment stars (I used three stars for alignment Dubhe, Mizar/Alcor, and Arcturus). I slewed to M3 as my target to try and image it. At one minute I had some trailing, at 30 sec none was visible in a 300mm lens. This was leaps and bounds above the AZ-GTi, which can't track a 30 sec image with a 3lb (1.3kg) payload (Pentax K-1 and 100mm f/2.8 lens).

If I can get a better polar alignment, I light be able to realize my dream of a portable mount that can do 2 min unguided subs.

brian skinner

Hi Craig, if you have a limited sky view like me, turn autoalign off, select 2 or 3 star alignment and then go to the catalogue page when you will be invited to select the first alignment star of your choice. When aligned go back to the catalogue page and select your next star and then your good to go....
Kind regards, Brian

On Mon, 6 May 2019 21:17 Craig Bobchin <cbobchin@... wrote:
[...]

Richard Kirsch <Kirsch41@...>

Hi Brian,

I also have limited sky view and, for the most part, am only able to do a rough polar alignment.  However, I have not found where you can turn off “AutoAlign”.  I am using ExploreStars for iOS.  In “Setting”, I have “Autoslew” turned off but, if I chose 2 or 3 star alignment, it just suggests a star.  I can click on “Next” and on and on.  But I don’t see a way to go to the “Catalogue”, chose “Alignment Stars” and pick 2 or 3 from that list.

Suggestions?

Richard

Sent from my pocket.

On May 7, 2019, at 2:14 AM, brian skinner <brianjimskinner@...> wrote:

[...]

Harry

Hi Richard, Like you I sometimes can not see Polaris. I use both the IOS and Android versions of ExploreStars.
First, in IOS its uses the term “Auto Slew”. Android uses “Auto Align”. They are the same thing.
I am showing IOS version 1.1.1 as the latest. The following applies to IOS since that is what you are using. I have had good results with mine. Here are my steps using 2 or 3 star alignments. Here are my steps.

Select Auto Slew Off
Load GPS coordinates
Reset Alignment
2 Star Alignment, Note do not select Next (If you already have an idea of what star you want for alignment.)
Select Menu, Catalog, (second item), Alignment, Choose your star,  Slew to object, Center the star in
scope if necessary, Sync.
It will then say”Align to Second Star, then press Sync.”
Repeat the above, again do not press Next, unless you want it to choose for you. I make my own choice.
After the above, you should be aligned.
Note: I have found that if you choose 3 Star Alignment, your choice of the third star will be minimal, if any
at all are available.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Scopes: ES AR102,  Meade ETX 90 EC (Deforked)
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, IPAD & Fire HD8, Oberwerk 5000 Tripod
Binos: Oberwerk 15x70, 8x40

Richard Kirsch <Kirsch41@...>

Hi Harry,

Thanks for this.  I’ll give it a shot at the next clear night.  It’s been miserable here lately (Wisconsin).  We’ve had about three good nights in the last month.  Quite frustrating.

Richard

Sent from my pocket.

On May 7, 2019, at 10:11 AM, Harry via Groups.Io <flykai1@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard, I did a test this morning at home to simulate
the procedure. You don’t have to be connected to the mount. Just use ExplooreStars and enter commands as if you were outside. The app behaved just as if a scope was
connected. Saves time and frustration when it’s dark!
Harry
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Scopes: ES AR102,  Meade ETX 90 EC (Deforked)
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, IPAD & Fire HD8, Oberwerk 5000 Tripod
Binos: Oberwerk 15x70, 8x40

Richard Kirsch <Kirsch41@...>

Harry,

Tried it and it worked.  Thanks again,

Richard

Sent from my pocket.

On May 7, 2019, at 12:49 PM, Harry via Groups.Io <flykai1@...> wrote:

Richard, I did a test this morning at home to simulate
the procedure. You don’t have to be connected to the mount. Just use ExplooreStars and enter commands as if you were outside. The app behaved just as if a scope was
connected. Saves time and frustration when it’s dark!
Harry
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Scopes: ES AR102,  Meade ETX 90 EC (Deforked)
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, IPAD & Fire HD8, Oberwerk 5000 Tripod
Binos: Oberwerk 15x70, 8x40

brian skinner

Hi Richard, yes sorry I should have said autoslew. I'm running android and the catalogue page allows me to scroll through the stars and select any of my choice. I'm not sure why you seem not to be able to do the same with IOS.....
Kind regards, Brian

On Tue, 7 May 2019 14:00 Richard Kirsch <Kirsch41@... wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I figured that out after about an hour of fooling around with the app/Mount. Not the most inutiive app is it? Do you know how to sync on an object not during hte alingment? For example, I have M3 centered and I want to Sync on it to refine the model, how do I do that?

brian skinner

Hi Craig, did I call you Richard in my last email? Sorry about that (again...). No I don't think you can sync on any non alignment object (which has to be a star).
If you centre on an object manually I don't think the mount will necessarily track accurately either but Jerry will clarify I'm sure.
Kind regards, Brian

On Tue, 7 May 2019 20:13 Craig Bobchin <cbobchin@... wrote:
Hi Brian,

Yeah, I figured that out after about an hour of fooling around with the app/Mount. Not the most inutiive app is it? Do you know how to sync on an object not during hte alingment? For example, I have M3 centered and I want to Sync on it to refine the model, how do I do that?

Richard Kirsch <Kirsch41@...>

Hi Brian,

I just tried this as a practice run during the daytime using “practice stars” to check if this works in iOS.  It does not work.  I connect to the mount via my iPad then chose “Two Star Alignment”.  It suggest a star that I ignore and go to the catalogue,... there I clicked on the “Alignment” button on the top and chose Deneb, the “Slew To”.  ExploreStars goes back to the main page but the object shown is not the one I selected but the original one that it had there in the first place. Not sure what I’m missing.

Richard

Wes Mcdonald

Richard

You are not missing anything.  The iOS app works differently than does the Android when it comes to selecting stars from the catalog.  You just have to next your way through the selections.  I think.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Richard Kirsch <Kirsch41@...>

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the reply.  However, “Harry”, in a few posts earlier said he tried this method with iOS and it worked for him.  Do I need to load a different version of the app?

Richard

Sent from my pocket.

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 12:39 PM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
The iOS app works differently than does the Android when it comes to selecting stars from the catalog
Wes is correct in that we are still working on getting all three apps synchronized in their features and behavior.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Gord Farmer

Any estimation on when the help section will be available on the iOS version of explore stars?
 Any videos on you tube etc. Deal with windows .
But I am slowly getting it sorted .  Still , love the mount and scope and looking forward to being able to get the most out of it .

Cheers
Gord (newbie) lol

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

brian skinner

Hi Richard, as I'm not running iOS I can't help on this problem I'm afraid. I know you have mentioned this before but have you turned auto alignment off before you start?
Also before I start anything in Explorestars I find it helps to restart my controlling device first to ensure a everything  is fully synchronised. On the Android app there is a prompt to do this whenever any changes are made to any of the settings....
One other thought, after you have syncd to your first star if you return to the catalogue page you should then be offered to choose your second star, thus ignoring the suggested one that appears on the home page.
Kind regards, Brian

On Wed, 8 May 2019 17:36 Richard Kirsch <Kirsch41@... wrote:
Hi Brian,

I just tried this as a practice run during the daytime using “practice stars” to check if this works in iOS.  It does not work.  I connect to the mount via my iPad then chose “Two Star Alignment”.  It suggest a star that I ignore and go to the catalogue,... there I clicked on the “Alignment” button on the top and chose Deneb, the “Slew To”.  ExploreStars goes back to the main page but the object shown is not the one I selected but the original one that it had there in the first place. Not sure what I’m missing.

Richard

Richard Kirsch <Kirsch41@...>

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the response and ideas.  Jerry added to the comments and said that the Android app is not the same as the iOS app.  Hence the reason for this, particular discrepancy.  He also added they are working on a release that would put the apps more in sync.

Regards,
Richard

Sent from my pocket.

On May 9, 2019, at 2:23 AM, brian skinner <brianjimskinner@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry,

Do you know where I might get a longer counterweight bar and exrea weights that will fit the counterweight bar?

Hi Craig,

We currently do not provide a longer counter-weight bar, but you can call customer service at +1 (866) 252-3811 ext. 2 and Kent can take your order for extra weights.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

James Ball

Craig,

I went to the hardware store and picked up a six inch bolt that threads into the bottom of the counter weight bar to extend it.  I can't remember if it is M10 or M12, I just took the safety bolt from the end of the shaft to the hardware store and they matched it up with a bolt and washer(washer for safety).  The knobs on the side of the counter weights will screw in enough to make them tight.  It will create a longer moment arm which is not optimum, but allows for balancing with less counter weight.
--
Mounts: iEXOS-100
Scopes: Meade ETX90RA(deforked now) Sky Watcher 150MCT