Topics

sticky Astrophotography Done with the iEXOS-100, EXOS 2, and G11 Post your Pictures and Details! Lets Show What These Mounts Can Do. #iEXOS-100 #G11 #EXOS2 #astrophotography

Paul Mogg

Hi All, this is my first real attempt at astrophotography, using the EXOS-2 PMC-Eight Mount I recently bought, which after a few initial glitches seems to now be working quite well. it's of the Orion Nebula. I'm completely new to this so I just shot 14 Lights and 5 Darks, 30 secs each at 1600 ISO, with no guiding, on an old Nikon 3200 DSLR through a Skywatcher 200DPS Newtonian. Processed with DeepskyTracker and GIMP.
--
Location: southern Spain

Equipment:
Explore Scientific EOS-2 PMC-Eight mount
Skywatcher 200DPS Newtonian telescope
Telrad.
28mm 2" and 12mm 1.25" lenses.
2 and 5 x Barlows.
Macbook air
Huawei Android T5 Tablet
Nikon D3200 DSLR
Software: ExploreStars Android & WIndows, Stellarium OSX & Android, AstroDSLR

Mirko Gude

Hi Pantelis, well done! How do you process it? Program?

Regards, Mirko

Am 24.10.2020 um 20:52 schrieb p.bampoulis@...:

Hi guys,

I also wanted to share my photo of Pleiades, captured a few days ago during my holidays in Greece. I love the iexos 100, a portable, easy to handle, and to setup mount. Not much can go wrong! It was also very easy and convenient to transport it from Germany to Greece.

Anyway I hope you like the result.
6.5h exposure (185x2mins), Bortle sky 6-7, telescope: skywatcher 72ED, camera: ZWO ASI 533 MC pro, guide camera: ZWO ASI 120 MC
 <M45_Patras_6p5h_2020 10 19.jpg>

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGvI9PQn5yn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

--

Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS 100, ES EXOS2-GT
Scopes: Skywatcher 80/600

Mike Forbes

Love my Exos 2/PMC-Eight mount.
ASI294mc-pro
Williams Optics Zenithstar 73
Other stuff, lol.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:52 AM <p.bampoulis@...> wrote:
[...]

Timothy Myers

M45

--
Tim Myers

Telescopes:           Celestron 4SE, Celestron 8SE, SkyWatcher 100ED Pro
Mounts:                 4-5 SE, 6-8SE, EXOS-2GT with PMC-Eight
Cameras:               ASI1600MC Imaging Camera, Cooled, ASI120 Guide Camera
Focuser:               ZWO EAF
Scope Mini PC:    Topton Pentium
Laptop:                 Lenovo
Software:             CDC, SharpCap Pro, NINA, PHD2

James Everson

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific EXOS II GT, iEXOS-100, Celestron AVX
Scope: Explore Scientific AR102, AR152, FirstLight 152mm Mak-Cassegrain, SpaceCat 51

Timothy Myers

Mars, fair, not great,

I was lazy and left my 8" SCT in the garage, it would have done better with more Focal Length

--
Tim Myers

Telescopes:           Celestron 4SE, Celestron 8SE, SkyWatcher 100ED Pro
Mounts:                 4-5 SE, 6-8SE, EXOS-2GT with PMC-Eight
Cameras:               ASI1600MC Imaging Camera, Cooled, ASI120 Guide Camera
Focuser:               ZWO EAF
Scope Mini PC:    Topton Pentium
Laptop:                 Lenovo
Software:             CDC, SharpCap Pro, NINA, PHD2

Thanks Wes,

I was frustrated because groups.io scales the image down due to the restrictions on image sizes allowed (I set the limit). I added a link to my OneDrive to download the full sized image. Hopefully everyone can get to it.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Pretty good for a beginner 😂🍺

Early on Thursday and Friday morning I captured the 20 and 21 day old moon (full disk) with the MSRO configured as it always is as a deep-sky system. The FOV of the camera is 1.3-deg x 0.9-deg with an image scale of about 0.9 arc-sec/px.  I captured these images using SharpCap. Here is the processed and labeled image(s). You can clearly see craters down to 3 miles (5 km) and detect features smaller than that. For those new to lunar/planetary imaging, this is not the typical configuration. Here I am only shooting at a focal length of 851mm at f/5.1  Typically you need f/20 or greater to get the best resolution possible. I processed these images with Regstax 6, GIMP, and Paint.

I enjoy pushing the resolution on these full disk images of the moon to see how much I can do with our system at the MSRO. Equipment details on the image

Here is a link to the full resolution image
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvP0q1QoRurEgfwYNcAP42Gh0sFFWQ?e=PTCWJc
.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

+1  on 'heavy'.

Just as a science project, I bought my scope a 2", 2x ED barlow a while ago.   I mostly wanted to check out how well my guiding held up at longer focal lengths (perhaps with a future scope) and maybe do some Moon work with this one.  This was on a 102/621 mm, so 1200mm -ish FL barlowed, depending on spacing variation.

Well... I think the guiding held up ok, but the images were hit-and-miss anyway.  By the time I had arranged things to get the back focus I now needed, I had the focuser stretched out pretty much at its limit, with lots of weight from the big glass in the barlow, etc., and my DSLR out even farther on that limb....

The TL;DR is that my mount was ok, but my focuser wasn't up to it, and it's an old JMI two-speed.  The thing's a tank and normally perfectly fine, but that much weight out that far, and it sagged anyway.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020, at 15:22, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
Mirko

When I put a 3x Barlow on my 127x940 I couldn’t see beans for stars.  Planetary would be another matter I suppose.  Of course you are going to have some darned small fields of view which will test your goto accuracy.

That’s about all I can tell you.  I gave it up after one frustrating night.  Didn’t try to figure out how to use it properly.

One other thing is the darned things are heavy as can be.  Look at those specifications.

Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Wes Mcdonald

Mirko

When I put a 3x Barlow on my 127x940 I couldn’t see beans for stars.  Planetary would be another matter I suppose.  Of course you are going to have some darned small fields of view which will test your goto accuracy.

That’s about all I can tell you.  I gave it up after one frustrating night.  Didn’t try to figure out how to use it properly.

One other thing is the darned things are heavy as can be.  Look at those specifications.

Mirko Gude

Hi,

last week I had the chance to made some pictures (videos) of Mars. It was my first attempt with Mars and it was also the first time were I could test new hardware and settings together. So the Mars was not my first goal, but at the end I’am surprised, what is possible.

BTW, I noticed, that Explore Scientific offers focal extenders. Are there any limitations in use with different telescopes? I’ve only a cheap 1,25’’  2x Barlow… so I think about a 3X 50,8MM/2“ or the 5X 31,7MM/1.25“ for my Skywatcher 80/600. If anybody has experience with this, any hint is welcome.

Regards,
Mirko

--

Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS 100, ES EXOS2-GT
Scopes: Skywatcher 80/600
Cameras:  Nikon Z6, D7000
Lens: Sigma 150-600mm, Sigma Art 135mm/1,8, Nikon Z 50mm/1,8
Msc: LRTimelapse Pro Timer 2.5, Raspberry Pi4, Polemaster, GPS Dongle
Software: PixInsight, Kstars, Starry Night, Redshift

Excellent.
--
Michael Whitaker
Wakefield, UK.

Wes Mcdonald

There you go stade!

Stade

Lots to learn but first night all my equipment played nice together😂

Timothy Myers

my M27

--
Tim Myers

Telescopes:           Celestron 4SE, Celestron 8SE, SkyWatcher 100ED Pro
Mounts:                 4-5 SE, 6-8SE, EXOS-2GT with PMC-Eight
Cameras:               ASI1600MC Imaging Camera, Cooled, ASI120 Guide Camera
Focuser:               ZWO EAF
Scope Mini PC:    Topton Pentium
Laptop:                 Lenovo
Software:             CDC, SharpCap Pro, NINA, PHD2

Tony

Ive been meaning to add a few images to this thread.   This is my first season really getting into AP.  Ive been battling some guiding issues, coma corrector spacing and even some camera tilt problems, so these images are from from perfect.  I plan to revisit them all again next year once everything is dialed in, and my post processing skills improve.

OTA: Explore Scientific 208mm f/3.9 Newt
Mount: Explore Scientific EXOS2-GT PMC-Eight
Imaging: Canon 77D Stock
Guidescope: Svbony 60mm f/4
Guidecam: Meade LPI-G mono

All images were taken from Bortle class 6 areas, about 25 miles outside of NYC.  Too many images to give detailed specs, but all were in the 30  to 90 minutes integration range.  Emission nebulas were typically captured with a UHC filter, while reflection nebulas and galaxies were taken with a moon/skyglow filter, or without any filter, depending on the conditions.

Eastern Veil

Western Veil

Pickering's Triangle

Cygnus Wall / North American Nebula

Elephant Trunk

Omega /Sean Nebula

Pelican Nebula

PacMan Nebula

Wizard Nebula

Crescent Nebula

Iris Nebula

Dumbell Nebula

Andromeda

Triangulum

Thanks for all the inspiration.  I'm loving all the great work everyone's been contributing here.

Thanks,
-Tony

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

Gary has some hell of a knowledge.

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC, LLC

1010 South 48th Street

Springdale, AR 72762 USA

Brands: Explore Scientific | Bresser | Explore One
Official Licensee: National Geographic | Discovery

Publications:  Sky's Up Magazine

Affiliations: UNESCO Space Education Program | AstronomyOutreach network