Topics

New Video on How To Install and Configure the ASCOM Driver for the iEXOS 100 Mount #ExploreScientific #iexos-100 #TECHNICAL

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

I have uploaded a new video to the Explore Scientific YouTube channel on how to install and configure the ASCOM driver for the iEXOS 100 mount.
https://youtu.be/WYBnRNgl2b8

I have also updated the knowledge base article below to add the video for the iEXOS 100
https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/how-do-i-install-the-windows-10-version-of-explorestars-and-the-pmc-eight-ascom-driver

Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

urbanastronomer60@...

Hello,
I folioed you vide to the letter and I still canot connect to ascom wireless.
I notice in my network settings it shows
PMC-Eight-4EA6.  On your video it shows a different number
Thank you
Paul

On 18 Jun 2019, at 21:30, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:

I have uploaded a new video to the Explore Scientific YouTube channel on how to install and configure the ASCOM driver for the iEXOS 100 mount.
https://youtu.be/WYBnRNgl2b8

I have also updated the knowledge base article below to add the video for the iEXOS 100
https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/how-do-i-install-the-windows-10-version-of-explorestars-and-the-pmc-eight-ascom-driver

Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 06:35 PM, Paul Jenkins wrote:
PMC-Eight-4EA6.
Hi Paul,

The SSID is different for each mount so that's as it should be. Did it prompt you for a password when you initially connected to the network?  Have you used ExploreStars to control your mount before trying the ASCOM driver?

--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

Paul Jenkins <urbanastronomer60@...>

Hello.
Yes explorer stars works fine on my windows laptop and my iPad
When trying to connect to there mount using ascom a green light comes on for about 10 seconds then goes offf and no connection
Thank you

On 18 Jun 2019, at 23:44, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 06:35 PM, Paul Jenkins wrote:
PMC-Eight-4EA6.
Hi Paul,

The SSID is different for each mount so that's as it should be. Did it prompt you for a password when you initially connected to the network?  Have you used ExploreStars to control your mount before trying the ASCOM driver?

--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

Anyone else have similar problems, thankyou

Paul,

Are you saying that when trying to use ASCOM to connect to the mount, you push the 'Connect Scope' button on POTH, the green light comes on, and then...nothing?

What happens if you push the button again another couple of times?

Typical behavior on my laptop, connecting via POTH is: 
- push #1, as you describe 
- push #2, another dud 
- push #3, connection achieved !  

Others have reported the same behavior, although I don't believe that everyone has that problem.

My suspicion is that it has more to do with the FTDI serial-to-USB driver getting its connection going, than with the ASCOM driver, but as I doubted it was something I'd be able to do anything about, I haven't dug further.  I just push three times and I'm good to go - normal behavior for my setup.

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2-IMX224C
Software: ASCOM, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Jeremy Parker

For what it's worth, I have the same exact behavior with my setup as Bob. It always takes three tries to get the connection...

Jeremy
--
Jeremy Parker - North/West of Boston, MA
Scope:
StellarVue SV102T  & Optimus Eyepieces
Mount:  Explore Scientific PMC-Eight G11, Spring-loaded OPWB on DEC, O-Vision Worm on RA
Cameras: Nikon D5300 H-alpha mod
Guiding & Alignment: StellarVue F50 GuideScope & ZWO ASI290MM Mini Guide Cam, QHY Polemaster
Computer & Software: Surface Pro Windows 10, ExploreStars, ASCOM POTH, CdC, PHD2, SGP, Backyard Nikon
Accessories: Williams Optics clear Bahtinov Mask, 1000 Oaks Dew Heater Controller, Astrozap Dew Heaters, Celestron Lithium / Lithium-Pro Powertanks

Wes Mcdonald

I haven't noticed the three and go.  But I have noticed something like that with the configuration manager.  Seems likely Bob is correct that such a problem most likely derived from the serial connection. 

As for the green light coming on then going out....try using the poth simulator instead of the mount.  See if it tanks too.  If it does then....it isn't the PMC8 driver.  If it doesn't....?

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC
PMC-8, ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Hi Guys,
First of all im not using a usb/serial connection. Its just wi fi as described in the lates video posted about connection the mount via ascom wireless driver.
The green  light on the mount comes on for about 10 seconds after pressing the connect button then goes off and the ascom freezes . No connection
Any ideas
Thank you

On 19 Jun 2019, at 13:57, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

I haven't noticed the three and go.  But I have noticed something like that with the configuration manager.  Seems likely Bob is correct that such a problem most likely derived from the serial connection. 

As for the green light coming on then going out....try using the poth simulator instead of the mount.  See if it tanks too.  If it does then....it isn't the PMC8 driver.  If it doesn't....?

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

Hi Paul,

With the wireless ASCOM driver configured as shown in the video, as you hit the connect button on the POTH and the green light comes on, do you see numbers show up on the POTH indicating the RA, DEC, ALT, AZ?  or does it stay blank?  If it just stays blank, then you are probably seeing the problem that Robert and Jeremy have. You should hit the connect button 3 times that will re-initialize the connection. You should see the data values show up as in the video on the POTH.

If that doesn't do it and all you see is blank on the POTH, then the data transfer is being interrupted somehow over the wireless connection and may be related to the local WiFi traffic. At this point, you should use your WiFi dongle to change the WiFi channel on the PMC-Eight using the procedure in this Knowledge Base article
https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/why-does-my-wifi-connection-keep-dropping-out

Note that when the PMC-Eight boots, such as when you apply power, there is a few second delay between the RED power light coming on and the GREEN processing light staying on a few seconds. This initial lighting of the GREEN LED is just a startup indication, until you have a data connection via wireless or wired, you will not see the GREEN LED stay on.
--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

Hi Jerry,
Thank you so much for the info, I will try what you suggest.
When I use explore stars with my iPad, the green light stays on, is this correct in that situation. I assume the green light is confirming connection .
Cheers
Paul

On 19 Jun 2019, at 21:59, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,

With the wireless ASCOM driver configured as shown in the video, as you hit the connect button on the POTH and the green light comes on, do you see numbers show up on the POTH indicating the RA, DEC, ALT, AZ?  or does it stay blank?  If it just stays blank, then you are probably seeing the problem that Robert and Jeremy have. You should hit the connect button 3 times that will re-initialize the connection. You should see the data values show up as in the video on the POTH.

If that doesn't do it and all you see is blank on the POTH, then the data transfer is being interrupted somehow over the wireless connection and may be related to the local WiFi traffic. At this point, you should use your WiFi dongle to change the WiFi channel on the PMC-Eight using the procedure in this Knowledge Base article
https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/why-does-my-wifi-connection-keep-dropping-out

Note that when the PMC-Eight boots, such as when you apply power, there is a few second delay between the RED power light coming on and the GREEN processing light staying on a few seconds. This initial lighting of the GREEN LED is just a startup indication, until you have a data connection via wireless or wired, you will not see the GREEN LED stay on.
--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

Hi Paul,

Yes, the green light is on as long as the PMC-Eight is receiving commands and communicating successfully on the iEXOS 100.
--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

Hi Jerry,
When I connect using both, I get this error message every time
Error 80040407
Get ra motor position
I don’t get any info  like Ra Dec on the path. 
I have also used the dongle 3 times tonight to see if it makes any difference.
I CAN get connected to explore stars by the way
cheers
Paul

On 19 Jun 2019, at 23:21, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,

Yes, the green light is on as long as the PMC-Eight is receiving commands and communicating successfully on the iEXOS 100.
--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

Wes Mcdonald

Paul:

Typos I believe:

"When I connect using POTH" -- right?
"I don't get any info like RA Dec on POTH --- right?

Dongle use.  Three times in and out.  That moved your wifi from default 8 to default 11.  This is where you should stay.  * is not a good place to be, as it incurs interference from foth channel 6 and 11.

You can run WiFiExplorer Lite on your PC to see how the Wifi environment looks.  But if your Explorestars is working you are good.  BTW you need to use the Configuration manager to set the ASCOM connection method to TCP for the IEXOS100.  I think.  Just push the button that looks right and it will tell you if it is.

Wes.

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC

Hi Wes,
Thought configuration manager and Tcp was for wired serial connection

On 19 Jun 2019, at 23:52, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Paul:

Typos I believe:

"When I connect using POTH" -- right?
"I don't get any info like RA Dec on POTH --- right?

Dongle use.  Three times in and out.  That moved your wifi from default 8 to default 11.  This is where you should stay.  * is not a good place to be, as it incurs interference from foth channel 6 and 11.

You can run WiFiExplorer Lite on your PC to see how the Wifi environment looks.  But if your Explorestars is working you are good.  BTW you need to use the Configuration manager to set the ASCOM connection method to TCP for the IEXOS100.  I think.  Just push the button that looks right and it will tell you if it is.

Wes.

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC