Topics

Ascom Wi Fi #iexos-100 #TECHNICAL

Paul Jenkins <urbanastronomer60@...>

Hello all,
when I try to connect the ascom wireless (not hardwired)
and using Poth
I click on connect, the mount lights come on red/green, then nothing.
there is no data transferred.
I then get a error message every time
Error 80040407
get Ra motor position
any ideas please

Wes Mcdonald

Paul.  To review

1.  Unit works fine with Explorestars ...if so this checks the box for the mount wifi

2.  Ascom platform installed and runs all it's tests without error....if so this checks the box on the ascom platform

3.  Explorestars ascom driver loaded, is the 64/32 bit version....I think it is labeled "any"....if so that box is checked.

4.  Laptop connected to PMC8 before booting ascom

5.  Not sure but I think you need to get into config manager and set the comm link to TCP.  You should do it at least to see if it changes behavior

6.  Es ascom driver picked in poth

7.  Driver setup...enable wifi radio button picked? Mount type picked to be iexos 100?

8.  Wireless address in driver set to ?...exos 2 is 198.168.47.1.  not sure what it needs in iexos

9.  Port number...54372. Again correct for exos2

10.  Wifi module in driver set to esp-vroom02?

11.  While I are at it set your site location in the driver

So with all if that done the thing should connect when you tell poth to do it.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 10:04 AM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
5.  Not sure but I think you need to get into config manager and set the comm link to TCP.  You should do it at least to see if it changes behavior
Hi Wes,

I think you hit the nail on the head with the comment about selecting TCP. The iEXOS 100 does not provide a connection to TCP/IP and UDP/IP concurrently like the G11 and EXOS 2
because the ESP-WROOM-02 WiFi module does not support it like the Microchip RN-131 module does. I left that out of my video, so I need to go back and add that into it.

Great catch!

So Paul, you probably just need to use the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager to switch the protocol from UDP to TCP as per the instructions in the Configuration Manager.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Paul Jenkins <urbanastronomer60@...>

Hi Guys
thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.  Is the configuration manager in the files section, do I need to plug in a usb cable to use config manager.
Than you

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Paul

It is in files section of main.   It is under user contributed.

As for needing a serial. Sadly it seems so.  I just tried it with no serial connection, just wifi and no soap.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Paul....wait.

Turns out that config manager reports a fail when you try to query the comms method when no serial port is attached.  But if the status line at bottom of window shows wifi on PMC8 then you are connected.  You can see this by going to advanced tab and sending ESGp0! Command after checking the TCP comms method.

The problem is though that in the basic page you cannot switch to TCP because the danged app does not think you are connected since serial ain't hooked up.

So the answer remains you need to have the serial connected....at least until this bug is addressed.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Paul

Hang on again.

Perhaps you can switch to TCP by using the ESY! Command.  This command seems to work.  Send it with your radio button set to udp., Which is what mode the iexos is in if Explorestars is working.

0.  Make sure PC is on PMC8 net
1.  Boot config mgr
2 configure it by picking your mount
3 go to advanced tab
4.  Check UDP radio button
5. Send the ESGp0! To see if all are shaking hands in UDP mode
6 if good send the ESY! Command

This should put u into TCP mode.

Set the radio button to TCP.  Then send the ESGp0! Again.  See are you good.  If so u are in TCP.  Now ascom should work

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired