Topics

#iexos-100 Polemaster, Field Flattener, guiding questions? #iEXOS-100

Sean

Hi all

I had originally thought to start out with my first mount to be the EXOS2-GT PMC-Eight. However, I am considering for my first true telescope & mount to start with the IEXOS-100 attaching ES ED80, Nikon d5300 + ZWO 60mm scope & ZWO ASI120MM-S for autoguiding.

My first and most important question is whether any updates on adapters for mounting Polemaster to the iEXOS-100?

Next question, with ED80 + Nikon d5300, any recommendations for field flattener? Right now I do have a T-adapter for my Nikon currently connected to a 1.25" T-mount. Would I just use field flattener + t-adapter, or is there any additional spacing required?

Lastly, if I understand correctly, the iExos-100 would connect using USB to laptop, and then I would use PHD to guide directly, no ST4/serial connection back to the mount, correct?
--
Mounts: Yet to decide
Scopes: Soon to buy ED80

Wes Mcdonald

Sean

Easy answers first.

You can guide via wifi as you stated.  PhD will get input from your camera via USB.  It will guide through the ascom driver which will be connected via wifi to the mount.  No st4.

The polemaster can be mounted on the adapter designed by mike leemhuis.  It can be found in thingverse.  It is here:

You can get it printed up at 3DHubs or elsewhere.  It mounts on the mount vixen saddle and you use it to align prior to mounting your telescope.

As far as I am aware there is no solution from ES.  Another method to mount the polemaster is to put it on an ADM adapter which clamps onto a vixen bar you would install in the saddle.

Can't comment on a field flattener.

For what it's worth, you might want to consider your future goals before you decide on a mount.  The iExos has a pretty low weight limit which will only support smaller scopes and less add-ons. The exos2 has more payload and it's unguided tracking is better...but neither are great for unguided photos at higher F#s. From what I have seen reported here they both guide down to about the same precision.

Final thought is that you will likely want to go serial connection to the mount.  It just works.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Sean

Wes, thanks for your reply.

It actually is thinking of future goals that I am considering this smaller mount. Right now I need something to learn with, and a smaller/less expensive mount would be the ideal solution. In time I can see moving to a larger mount, while keeping the iexos-100 for smaller scopes & lens. An alternative has always been something like the Skyguiders for just my camera, and I can see this mount taking on a similar role in the future (just tracking with a dslr and 300mm lens). My biggest problem is at this time I have nothing really to learn and experiment with.

BTW, I just saw on the product page in the reviews a response from Explore Scientific "Explore Scientific is in the process of offering new accessories for the iEXOS100 including a polar finder scope, a heavier duty tripod and an azimuth fine control system, and a dovetail specifically designed for mounting DSLR cameras"

I don't think to start out with I would need a heavier duty tripod. My estimate of camera, guide, and scope is 7.68lb.

--
Mounts: Yet to decide
Scopes: Soon to buy ED80
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Sony A6000
Msc: TBA
Software: Backyard Nikon

Wes Mcdonald

So how much is a guide scope going to be?  Total iexos cost vs exos2?  Figure spending 30$ for the polemaster mount.  Personally, I could never use a polarscope....too hard to peep through the thing.  That's why I bought a polemaster.  If you have a polemaster you don't need a polar scope.  Also if you connect your camera to the tablet to run, for example, backyard EOS or Nikon you can use sharpcap instead of a polemaster if you don't already own one.

The iExos is a nice scope to start for sure.  It also is an easy grab and go.

The exos2 comes with the polar scope and has a higher weight limit.  It has has better unguided performance.  It will let you go to some nice apperature.  It has a mounting hole that accomodates the polemaster (with the cgem adapter).  Should take you a pretty long way down the road.

It's nice to have choices.  You will have lots of fun either way.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Jeny@

There is an option to use polemaster adapter from ADM.
Here is a link: Polemaster adapter

Wes Mcdonald

Sean:

You can use a polemaster with the special jig Mike Leemhuis designed.  You will find it on the Thingverse web page.  It is a 3D printed part you can print yourself or order from a place like 3DHubs. You would use the thing to align the polar axis prior to mounting your telescope on the saddle.

The 100 connects via the USB cable to the PC.  Guiding is done via pulse guide commands, and thus no ST4 cable is needed.  Correct since you will be using ASCOM, PHD is happy to guide via the ES ASCOM driver.

The ADM adapter required you clamp it onto a vixen bar.  I would give the 3D part a whirl first.  I have it and it seems like it will work a treat.  Since I have an Exos2 I just haven't had time to test it, but it should be great.  And it will cost a lot less than an ADM part.
Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Sean

I am going to skip the Polemaster, with the thought to using the guidescope & Sharpcap to align. I will also be getting the ASIAIR, but the intention of that use is farther away. So far now it would just be scope + guide + DSLR. I would prefer to start with the iExos-100 (cost reasons), and if I really enjoy this to move up eventually to a larger mount after I get a chance to learn a few things.

My question is, with the iExos-100 with 7.6lb equipment weight, using an ED80 triplet (480fl + 280 guidescope fl), can I expect decent results shooting Andromeda? What should my realistic expectations be? I have seen some using much larger scopes like ED102s (forgot where I saw this).

I was just about to start ordering this morning, but holding off to consider my options and hear opinions. I am just afraid of ending up with a bunch of blurred elongated stars like I got with my 127EQ on my wobbly deck :) (could not do exposure over 5 seconds).

p.s. I was intending to purchase the ES field flattener & Tring to give me 55mm backfocus. Any comments on an alternative field flattener AND focal reducer that would work good with ED80 & Nikon 5300?
--
Mounts: Yet to decide
Scopes: Soon to buy ED80
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Sony A6000
Msc: TBA
Software: Backyard Nikon

Sean,

I can't speak to the iExos-100, and the payload you propose, as I don't have one. There are certainly examples here, of that mount performing much better than you'd expect for its size - but just a couple of days ago, Jerry did a cautionary post about keeping the FL down to 400mm and under.

I have an EXOS2/PMC8, the next size up, and the first mount you mentioned in this thread.  It carries my ~13lbs of 102/621mm refactor, guidescope, and D5300, and produces round stars (guided) on any reasonable length of exposure (and has done so on some unreasonably-long test exposures as well).  As always, "conditions permitting", and on concrete - not a wobbly deck :-)

Did it do that well out-of-the-box?  No, it needed a bit of work - but the hard part was figuring out what needed to be done, and once that was understood, making the necessary adjustments and minor mods was easy.  And that's been documented, for anybody here who wants to know.

+1 for Sharpcap.

FWIW...

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Sean

I was originally going to get just a field flattener, but I took a look at using the Orion .8 focal reducer, which using Astronomy Tools site tells me I would get to 408mm focal length. That should be good shouldn't it?
--
Mounts: Yet to decide
Scopes: Soon to buy ED80
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Sony A6000
Msc: TBA
Software: Backyard Nikon

Chris Tardif

Hi ya...that was me with the ES 102mm FCD-100....I am using a small guide scope, dlsr and I am way (way) over the weight capacity.  It holds up like a champ, but my success should not be the standard I think.  I am probably an outlier.  I chose the 102 in anticipation of getting a “forever mount”.

Still, I shot 3 minute guided images of the pinwheel I posted yesterday.  I also shoot from a deck, but it was built last year so it’s pretty stable.  I did find that any time I was on the deck while the shutter was open that was a frame lost.  I control all of it from my study once it’s set up.

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows 10