Topics

locked IEXOS-100 PMC-EIGHT - Wifi Connection Issue #iexos-100 #TECHNICAL

Jhun

I have IEXOS-100 Mount purchased it last April. It was perfectly working yesterday (07/06/2019), as I installed ASCOM and PMC-Eight Configuration Manger to my Windows 10 Machine. But as I tested it today (07/07/2019) its not working anymore.

First I tested it using AMAZON Fire hd 8 Tablet - I don't have any problem connecting and slewing using this table before. This is the main Tablet I'm using if I go out to the field. But now, this is what happned :
  • First I turned ON the EIXOS-100
  • Connect my AMAZON Fire hd 8 into it. Its says connected with IP address of 192.168.47.3 and DNS Server of 192.168.47.1
  • I open up ExploreStars application. Usially when I open this application the green wifi light in the IEXOS-100 turned ON, but this time its OFF. Only the Power red light is ON.
  • In the ExploreStars I go to MENU >> SETTINGS >> and I click on LOAD GPS COORDINATES and was able to load the correct coordinated (Wifi Green Light in the mount is still OFF).
  • Still in the application, I reset the alignment >> then I did 2 stars alignment and the mount didn't response at all. I also did a manual slew and the mount is not responding.
TROUBLESHOOTING:
  • Turn off IEXOS and restarted the table.
  • Turned it ON and connect the table to the mount through wifi, its says connected but got same issue & results
  • I change channel and I reset the mount but got same issue.
IEXOS-100 has a power (red light is ON) and its connected to the tablet via wifi (Green light is OFF) but its not responding to any command from the tablet.

Testing using WIndows 10 Laptop via ASCOM
  • It connect to Configuration Manger using wifi and ASCOM with out any issue. The wifi green light in the mount was turned ON at this time when it connect. The problem is, when I manually slew the mount using ASCOM POTH Scope-Done hub panel, on the RA is working. even if I click on N, S, E, & W its only the RA is responding and the DEC is not moving at all.
  • Using ExploreStars application in my laptop and connecting to IEXOS-100. I got the same issue & results as with the tablet.
This Mount (IEXOS-100 PMC EIGHT) has more issue than success. Since I purchased this last April, every time I use it there is always an issue. Its so unreliable.

NEED HELP WITH THIS ASAP!!! WE HAVE UP COMING ASTRO EVENT IN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS!!!!

Hi Jhun,

You must understand that the iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight mount can only communicate to the host computer system in one of three ways depending on how you have selected the configuration via the PMC-Eight configuration manager. Here are the three ways to communicate and the application settings:

1) When you get the iEXOS 100 from Explore Scientific, it is configured to communicate to ExploreStars via WIRELESS (WiFi) using the UDP/IP protocol - This is the only way to communicate to the ExploreStars App
2) If you want to use WIRELESS ASCOM you must use the Configuration Manager program to switch the protocol to TCP/IP
3) If you wan tot use the WIRED connection with the USB Serial Cable, you must use the Configuration Manager to switch to SERIAL mode - You can only use ASCOM with the WIRED connection.

You can only connect it to one of these three ways at a time.

Now, It sounds like you have been staying on Wireless (at least that what I think you wanted to do) and are only switching the WIRELESS protocol between UDP/IP and TCP/IP.  You need to follow the directions in the Configuration  Manager to first connect your PC to the iEXOS 100 SSID and then find out what your current connection is. You should be able to connect ExploreStars to the mount if you can see it connected with the UDP/IP protocol, If you see it connected via the TCP/IP protocol then you need to use the Configuration Manager to switch it back to UDP/IP to connect ExploreStars to it.

I hope that helps.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jhun

Hi Jerry,

Thank you so much! You're the best! working!

May be you have to put that in its manual that switch from ASCOM  to ExploreStar, we need also to switch protocol from UDP to TCP/IP... :D

You can find answers to most if not all of your questions about the PMC-Eight in our Knowledge Base of FAQs
https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/explore-scientific-knowledge-base-and-faqs

Here is the article about the iEXOS 100 mount configuration. This directs you to some detailed information about how switch works on the iEXOS 100.
https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/pmc-eight-application-note-an003-switching-between-the-wifi-interface-and-the-serial-interface-on-the-iexos-100-mount-controller

If you are up to it, you can read the Programmer's Reference to fully understand how the control system works. This will help you in the future when you are troubleshooting issues with your mount control system.
http://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/PMC_Eight_ProgrammersReferenceManual_Release2_2019_March_07.pdf

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Marc West

Jerry

What are specific instruction for getting stellarium to work on either IOS or windows via WiFi?

Regards Marc

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Marc, Explore Scientific provides instructions for using the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver in the knowledge base, we do not provide support or specific instructions for any particular applications other than our ExploreStars application. You should visit the Stellarium website to find out how to use ASCOM drivers with Stellarium. Alternatively, you can search this forum for threads related to Stellarium. Others on this forum using Stellarium may chime in here also.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Marc:

Review this and let me know what else you need.
Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Marc West

Wes,

I didn’t purchase the product as a customer to reviewing documents.

You don’t buy a computer and get asked to review documents to get it working so you?

I purchased this product under the impression it supports IOS and Windows via WiFi and also that it supports a range of products including Stellarium.

Please send me the instructions thanks.

Regards Marc

On Jul 7, 2019, at 7:18 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Marc:

Review this and let me know what else you need.
Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Marc West

Jerry

I purchased the product and was told that provides the functionality as described in the sales information.

The product specifically says it supports WiFi connection either via iOS, Android or Windows, ans that support Stallarium.

Are you saying the product doesn’t provide the adequate tools for configuring and is instructions to setup?

I also don’t believe the point of sale informations says anything about not providing installation instructions or that basic support isn’t provided is this the case?

If this is the case I will speak to OPT and Amex Monday to see what they recommend.

Regards Marc

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Marc West

Jerry

It’s quite simple provide is instructions for setting up IOS, Or windows tablet for setting up ascomm if however if find the same issue with the Explore scientific software. Or working like my last attempt I can only assume it doesn’t work and as the customer you have sold me something that doesn’t provide what it’s states and will have to take up with Amex and OPT.

I state I am not trawling forums for fixes I want specific instructions that work for either IOS or windows tablet.

Thank you

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Marc,

The system does exactly what we say. There is no ambiguity in the statements in our marketing materials, documentation, knowledge base, or anything I have said on this forum. Your continued insinuation that we have not provided a product that does what we say it does, and that we do not provide instructions for customers is not consistent with our hundreds of customer's experience.

I have posted links to all our information and instructions, it is up to you whether you wish to utilize those instructions or not. I am not going to allow this repeated insinuation that our equipment does not do as we say. I have been more than patient in pointing out where our instructions are. I am sorry you cannot follow our instructions as hundreds of our other PMC-Eight customers have successfully done. I would suggest that if you need further help, please contact our customer support group at +1 (866) 252-3811 ext 2.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Marc,

If you had done only a minimum of reading about ASCOM, you would know that ASCOM only works on the Windows platform. We never say anything different. We offer the ExplorStars application for the Windows, Android and iOS platform. The ExploreStars app only works wirelessly over WiFi using the UDP/IP network protocol. You can use ASCOM either wirelessly over WiFi using the TCP/IP network protocol, or hardwired using a DB9 Serial to USB adapter cable. That's all there is.

We provide more than adequate instructions to install and use our software for anyone willing to simply follow them. Your continued insinuation that our system does not work or operate as we say it does will put you at risk of being removed from this forum. If you have any questions after reviewing the materials we provide in our knowledge base or on our software and downloads page on our website, i suggest you contact customer support at +1 (252)-3811 ext 2.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Dan Ward

I bought my EOS2 primarily for visual and have not needed to use ASCOM or stretch PMC-Eight to the limits of its stated capability.  The support from Jerry and the ES staff was great during my early learning curve, but I really haven’t had problems or needed to talk much.  Watching a few people voice their frustrations, I’ve counted my blessings that my experience has been extremely positive over the past two years.

Yesterday I actually hit a snag.  For whatever reason, I just could not connect, while two days ago, all was well.  Kept getting the dreaded “Please Wait”.  Can’t explain why the connectivity broke, but the darned thing transformed itself into a nonresponsive brick!

But wait – I checked the FAQs and searched the discussion group and leveraged that great shared knowledge.  Reset everything back to factory specs and voila!  “Reunited and it feels so good!”

Thanks Jerry and the rest of the gang at ES, plus the constructive criticism by participants in this group.  For the rare souls who can’t find what they need in a way that works for them, I do appreciate that you are frustrated.  There must be something unique in your circumstances.  I hope you can find what you are looking for.  It might require a different product for your needs.

Dan

If you had done only a minimum of reading about ASCOM, you would know that ASCOM only works on the Windows platform. We never say anything different. We offer the ExplorStars application for the Windows, Android and iOS platform. The ExploreStars app only works wirelessly over WiFi using the UDP/IP network protocol. You can use ASCOM either wirelessly over WiFi using the TCP/IP network protocol, or hardwired using a DB9 Serial to USB adapter cable. That's all there is.

We provide more than adequate instructions to install and use our software for anyone willing to simply follow them. Your continued insinuation that our system does not work or operate as we say it does will put you at risk of being removed from this forum. If you have any questions after reviewing the materials we provide in our knowledge base or on our software and downloads page on our website, i sugfest you contact customer support at +1 (252)-3811 ext 2.
jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Scopes
: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras
:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc
: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,

Software
: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Wes Mcdonald

Marc

By your response I believe you have a wrong impression.  I am not affiliated with ES in any way, I don't work for them in any capacity and I am not receiving anything from them.   Is that clear to you? Get it?

If you want help from me I will try, within limits to provide it.

I sent you a link to a top level step by step of how to do this.  If you cannot fill in the blanks, please ask specific questions regarding a gap as you encounter it.  If I have the time I WILL READ the documents for you and attempt to answer them.

If that's not good enough for you, ask elsewhere.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Marc West

Jerry

I don’t understand why you are getting so defensive and rude if he does what it says?

As a customer all I want to do is get it working.

All I get is jarring and ticking sounds.

The inststructions on the website, keep referring to other organizations to get it to work.

You go round and round in circle and after 2 years I am very frustrated with the lack of support when purchasing a very expensive item.

Regards Marc

On Jul 8, 2019, at 6:06 AM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:

Marc,

The system does exactly what we say. There is no ambiguity in the statements in our marketing materials, documentation, knowledge base, or anything I have said on this forum. Your continued insinuation that we have not provided a product that does what we say it does, and that we do not provide instructions for customers is not consistent with our hundreds of customer's experience.

I have posted links to all our information and instructions, it is up to you whether you wish to utilize those instructions or not. I am not going to allow this repeated insinuation that our equipment does not do as we say. I have been more than patient in pointing out where our instructions are. I am sorry you cannot follow our instructions as hundreds of our other PMC-Eight have successfully done. I would suggest that if you need further help, please contact our customer support group at +1 (866) 252-3811 ext 2.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM, Marc West wrote:
All I get is jarring and ticking sounds.
Marc,

If you had said that you were having mechanical issues (you probably did at some point and I missed it) then I would have directed you to send it back to us for adjustment/replacement as required. You should not have to struggle with a malfunctioning mount. It's pretty obvious if it is a mechanical issue that it would need adjusting. Please contact Explore Scientific Customer Support at +1 (866) 252-3811 ext 2 to return you mount for adjustment if that is what you think the problem is

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Marc West

Wes

I don’t know why you guys are getting so rude.

Simply i am a customer purchased a product and want to make it work why does that not resonate?

As a customer do you thing customers need to go to a forum or websites, read countless non instructional guides to set up the device that says what it says on the box?

Even wen I use the Es iOS software all I get is ticking sound and jarring.

Regards Marc

On Jul 8, 2019, at 8:47 AM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Marc

By your response I believe you have a wrong impression.  I am not affiliated with ES in any way, I don't work for them in any capacity and I am not receiving anything from them.   Is that clear to you? Get it?

If you want help from me I will try, within limits to provide it.

I sent you a link to a top level step by step of how to do this.  If you cannot fill in the blanks, please ask specific questions regarding a gap as you encounter it.  If I have the time I WILL READ the documents for you and attempt to answer them.

If that's not good enough for you, ask elsewhere.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Marc West

Jerry

I Am notninsuating anything I simple ask you to send me the ii structiona to set it up.

Are you saying there are not clearly defined instructions of how to setup?

What has actually changed in 2 years has anything progressed?

Does it speak to all the software you advertise?
Does it work seamlessly?
Does the software actually provide value for the expense of PMC8 verses a hand held device?

These are things people look at, I believe there is a lot of vapour and I am kit falling for it, I have invested a lot in the product and it doesn’t provide what if makes out.

You can’t espouse that the product does what it does and then say well you have to read this is contatx stellarium.

Either it officially works or not!!

This will be case when I take it to Amex and OPT let’s see what they say!!! I won’t stop here!!!

Regards Marc

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 10:38 AM, Marc West wrote:
These are things people look at, I believe there is a lot of vapour and I am kit falling for it, I have invested a lot in the product and it doesn’t provide what if makes out.

You can’t espouse that the product does what it does and then say well you have to read this is contatx stellarium.

Either it officially works or not!!

This will be case when I take it to Amex and OPT let’s see what they say!!! I won’t stop here!!!
I really don't appreciate your threats to go back to Amex and OPT to get a full refund without you demonstrating an ounce of due diligence to get your system working.

I don't really know what you would have us do that is fundamentally different than what we have provided. I am at a loss on how to respond further and I suggest you call our customer service at +1 (866) 252-3811 ext 2 to further this conversation. I am temporarily suspending approving your posts until I hear that you have made any progress in getting your mount problems corrected.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data