Topics

Cannot get autoguding to work at all #iexos-100 #TECHNICAL

Giu989

I just bought the iExos 100 along with the Orion Star shoot Autoguider as my first astrophotography set up, but I am having serious issues trying to get auto guiding to work.

First I tried ASCOM. I installed all the relevant drivers both for the camera and mount and connected the mount wirelessly to my computer. The guide camera worked fine but I kept on getting an error in PHD2 saying that the "pulse command had failed" on every attempt at a guide pulse. This also occurred when I tried manual pulses in the settings. I tried the general troubleshooting tips on the PHD2 website but none of them worked.

I gave up on ASCOM and tried to see if I could get guiding to work on ST4. Unfortunately during the calibration the star stayed completely still and PHD said that it had failed to calibrate because the star had moved too little. I tried to see if the manual pulses were working, and I could hear the gears move in north/south (and see the stars move in the FOV), but east/west pulses did nothing. In all cases the guide camera's light showed that it had received the pulses.

I managed to successfully connect the Explorestars app and control the telescope from there no problem, so I don't think it's hardware that's the issue.

For my attempts at ASCOM I used the latest Win 10, for the ST4 I tried both Mac OS 10.14.5 and Win 10, all to no avail.

I'm honestly a little lost as this is my first attempt at auto guiding and I don't really know what do now :(

I've attached the relevant logs for both the ASCOM and ST4

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Wes Mcdonald

G989

A few things.

Did you run a calibration?  You need to.  Do thus each time you setup for guiding via pulse method and before every object using ST4

Orient your guide camera so the image sensor is parallel to the earth when the telescope is at home position.   Seems to help

In the ascom driver check the min pulse time.  It probably does not.mattet but set it low like 100 Ms

Check in the driver the guide rate.  It should be something between .7 and 1

We all have noted PhD sometimes says it can't move enough in DEC.  It will probably complain during calibration.  But in the end it seems to work anyway

My experience is with exos2.  Should apply to iexos pretty well

Final thing is you may need to adjust the Dec backlash

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Giu989

Wes

The problem is that PHD2 says the pulse commands failed during calibration. I choose a star and the yellow crosshair appears, and then the pulse guide warning starts coming up immediately. I don't think a single pulse completes successfully. So far every calibration attempt has failed.

I will try your other suggestions this evening!

Rick Walker

I am no Imager at all but saw similar no movement on my EXOS2

“I could hear the gears move in north/south (and see the stars move in the FOV), but east/west pulses did nothing. In all cases the guide camera's light showed that it had received the pulses.”

After I had to center an object after a goto slew I had no E/W tracking. I had to go back to the object catalog and the in place is “slew to object “ I hit the home button and it started tracking.

I have no idea if this helps but it did address my problem.

Rick

Rick -- you said:

I had to go back to the object catalog and the in place is “slew to object “ I hit the home button and it started tracking.

Can you try that again with a bit more detail please?  I don't quite follow.

Wes.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:12 PM Rick Walker <rixworx@...> wrote:
I am no Imager at all but saw similar no movement on my EXOS2

“I could hear the gears move in north/south (and see the stars move in the FOV), but east/west pulses did nothing. In all cases the guide camera's light showed that it had received the pulses.”

After I had to center an object after a goto slew I had no E/W tracking. I had to go back to the object catalog and the in place is “slew to object “ I hit the home button and it started tracking.

I have no idea if this helps but it did address my problem.

Rick

> On Jul 21, 2019, at 6:18 PM, Giu989 via Groups.Io <giulio=crisanti.org@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I could hear the gears move in north/south (and see the stars move in the FOV), but east/west pulses did nothing. In all cases the guide camera's light showed that it had received the pulses.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Rick Walker

I’ll give it a try...

1) go through alignment
2) select object in catalog
3) Pick slew to object
4) on homepage object is displayed on left side
5) select goto button
6) mount slews
7) center object with arrows
8) mount stops tracking
9) go to catalog
10) pick object again
11) pick home button top left corner
12) on home page the object of choice is no longer displayed
13) mount tracks

Hope that splains it better

On Jul 22, 2019, at 11:15 AM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Rick -- you said:

I had to go back to the object catalog and the in place is “slew to object “ I hit the home button and it started tracking.

Can you try that again with a bit more detail please?  I don't quite follow.

Wes.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:12 PM Rick Walker <rixworx@...> wrote:
I am no Imager at all but saw similar no movement on my EXOS2

“I could hear the gears move in north/south (and see the stars move in the FOV), but east/west pulses did nothing. In all cases the guide camera's light showed that it had received the pulses.”

After I had to center an object after a goto slew I had no E/W tracking. I had to go back to the object catalog and the in place is “slew to object “ I hit the home button and it started tracking.

I have no idea if this helps but it did address my problem.

Rick

> On Jul 21, 2019, at 6:18 PM, Giu989 via Groups.Io <giulio=crisanti.org@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I could hear the gears move in north/south (and see the stars move in the FOV), but east/west pulses did nothing. In all cases the guide camera's light showed that it had received the pulses.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Rick

Wow.  Interesting.  So to make sure I understand.....

You select an object and go-to it the scope goes to and is tracking along.  Then you center the object the mount stops tracking.  By this you mean the object just begins to move away from the center.  Do you know what the Ra/Dec display does when this is going on?  Does it always happen?  What app version u using (Android, Windows, iOS).

Then you go back to the catalog and select the object again.  Don't press slew to or anything, just press the home icon to return to the main screen and bingo the mount is tracking again.

Is that correct?

Wow

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Rick Walker

Wes,

Yes correct. This is on iOS. As far as RA/DEC I didn’t think to look at it.

I did read in some other post when I was searching from Jerry Hubbell that said after manually slewing after a goto one of the directions (DEC I think) stops, not sure what version.

In the past on either the PC or Android Jerry had instructed me after the manual slew to center to enter OTA position into the submit RA/DEC on the coordinates page. But when I did this on the iOS version the OTA just slew back to the original targets RA/DEC moving it off center.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Wes Mcdonald" <wesmcd6@...>
Date: July 22, 2019 at 8:00:03 PM CDT
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Cannot get autoguding to work at all #iexos-100 #TECHNICAL

Rick

Wow.  Interesting.  So to make sure I understand.....

You select an object and go-to it the scope goes to and is tracking along.  Then you center the object the mount stops tracking.  By this you mean the object just begins to move away from the center.  Do you know what the Ra/Dec display does when this is going on?  Does it always happen?  What app version u using (Android, Windows, iOS).

Then you go back to the catalog and select the object again.  Don't press slew to or anything, just press the home icon to return to the main screen and bingo the mount is tracking again.

Is that correct?

Wow

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Rick

When you do a go-to the mount goes to the target and is in point mode. In point mode the mount will maintain the scope pointing  at the correct place in the sky by moving both the Ra and dec axis.  If the scope were exactly mechanically polar aligned then the Dec would not need to move.  With a mount that is not mechanically  polar aligned but for which a 2 or 3 star alignment is made the point mode will keep the scope, by using the alignment model, pointing directly at the object Ra and dec.  However when you center the target the mount leaves point mode and enters track mode.   In track the scope only moves the ra axis at sidereal rate...it basically assumes the mount is polar aligned.  Thus no dec movement is called for.  If the mount is not mechanically polar aligned but in track mode a centered object will appear to drift out.

In the past and presently the only way to resume point mode was to either perform a goto again or direct the mount to a ra/dec via the coordinate input page.  I believe a mod to the explorestars is coming to remedy this in which the point mode/track mode indicator will also become an active button by which a user can get the scope back into either mode by pressing.

The reason a goto after centering does not put you back where you centered is because the goto location is not centered ... if it were you would not need to manually center the thing in the first place.

This behavior we are discussing above is not what the original post was about though as that problem had to do with lack of motion while guiding.  But I’m glad it came up because the point mode behavior of the mount can always use explaining.

You might ask why have the track mode if it won’t keep the scope pointing where I want it? Why go to the moon? Why does Rice play Texas? (JFK speech outlining his vision for going to the moon, happy anniversary Apollo 11). Track mode is a smooth sidereal tracking of an object optimized for a mechanically polar aligned scope.  This is what is needed for astrophotographers.  Point mode is at the microscopic level a step by step bumping along of the scope in ra and dec for use when the scope is not mechanically polar aligned but has had a 2 or 3 star alignment performed.  It is like a bird dog fixated on a target no matter what.  As the earth rotates the ra and dec mount axes must both move to keep the scope pointing to the correct celestial coordinates of an object.  Bird dog.  The microscopic bumps are not visible to the eye when one is doing visual observing and thus the mode is intended for that case.  The bumps happen 5 times a second.

Making the indicator an active toggle button is going to be a nice help for visual observers.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

W.F.

Hi Wes,
is my understanding right when i say, in the point mode the view turns the view arround?
because both axis will be moved.
So for taking a picture i better use the tracking mode?
Greetings Wolfgang.

Wes Mcdonald

Wolfgang

Well if you shoot with short enough Fl you can shoot with pointmode I imagine.  But anytime you do not have a good mechanical polar alignment you will get field rotation.  Even In track mode if the PA is poor.  If you get a good PA your field rotation during a shot will be small in either mode.  The dec axis in point mode will only change if it is needed to maintain pointing at the object.  Thus with a good PA only the ra will change significantly in point mode.

So with a good PA you want track mode which you will be in as soon as you center the object using the LRUD arrows.