http://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/FIRMWARE/PMC8_FirmwareEEPROM.zip

Please let me know if you have any questions about this update.

Thanks Mike for the good catch.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Mike Leemhuis

It works great Jerry.  Just have to make sure you get the 8/15 version.

Mike

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 2:27 PM Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:

Mike Leemhuis identified an issue with the latest version of the firmware that I announced where the mount when slewing would go in the wrong direction.
I inadvertently introduced this error in the firmware in the common serial port driver module. This error was introduced in all the different versions of the firmware for the G11, EXOS 2, and iEXOS 100 mounts.

IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE NEW FIRMWARE RELEASED ON AUGUST 1, 2019 (version date 07/25/2019) then please go out to our website and download this corrected release.

Here is the location

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Mount: Explore Scientific Exos-2
Scope: Explore Scientific ED102CF
Camera: QHY163C
Filter: Optolong L-eNhance 2" for nebula pictures
Software: ASCOM, PHD2, CDC, Sharpcap Pro
Computer:  Dell desktop XPS
Extras:  Lots of 3D printed parts I designed to improve usability

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 03:02 PM, Mike Leemhuis wrote:
It works great Jerry.  Just have to make sure you get the 8/15 version.
To make it clear to everyone. The actual version date is still 7/25/2019. This did not change because I inadvertently introduced a bug. The release date for this corrected version is 8/15/2019 which is the .eeprom file date and the date that Mike was referring to above.

Thanks Mike for finding this issue and testing it out to make sure it works.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Installed.  Passes the living room slew-and-park test. :-)

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Inthewoods

So does the ES website have the corrected version? Seems to be to much confusion and rushing on the groups.io. the method of software/updates/firmware releases goes against all marketing techniques and check and balances that protects company and consumers from the incorrect discrepancies that occur during software development, testing software, then prerelease, then active distribution. Just saying.

Thanks Tom
--
EXOSII with PMC Eight
Explore Scientific AR152

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 06:15 PM, Inthewoods wrote:
So does the ES website have the corrected version? S
Tom,

Of course, I would not announce the release unless it was available as stated in my announcement. There is no confusion, and we are not rushing anything. I am being up front and pro-active to make sure everyone knows what is going on with our releases. All updates and changes are tested and validated over a few week period prior to release. We have actually been working on these changes for several months. We rolled out the update to the Android ExploreStars first that included updates to support the changes we were making to our firmware. I then rolled out the firmware update and then after a bug report by Mike Leemhuis rolled out the corrected version. Then last night Chris released the updated version of the Configuration Manager that adds requested features.  There is nothing confusing about it unless you think there is too much improvement going on over too short a period.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Inthewoods

-- so yes there is confusion and insecurity whether my exit and PMC Eight will perform correctly after updating and upgrading three nights ago. Instead of putting my telescope out on the first night and time that I have to use my equipment,.... I now have to redo the firmware and download the the configuration manager? I have a slow internet speed and takes a long time to do this not to to mention data usage. So yes stop pretending everything was done correctly. If the process was done correctly the customers would not have to redo the the firmware update from the original release Aug 2nd (?) And re update configuration manager. While all this should be done on the ES webpage.
New version
Old Version
Instead webpage should look like this.
Version x.xx.xxxx third release fixes engineers mess up of reverse slewing/tracking from yesterday
Version x.xx.xxxx second release fixes issues fa da da da
Version x.xx.xxxx first release original

Fairly ticked off

EXOSII with PMC Eight
Explore Scientific AR152
MEADE LXIII 8" SCT
Bresser MikrOkular Full HD Camera
NIKON D5100

Inthewoods

I have a lot of things to worry about when I go out into the night to look at stars.
--
EXOSII with PMC Eight
Explore Scientific AR152
MEADE LXIII 8" SCT
Bresser MikrOkular Full HD Camera
NIKON D5100

I'm sorry you're ticked off but things happen. The version did not change the bug introduced was not part of the version change. The release date changed which is the date of the file. If you want to make it easy on yourself you will download and install the Configuration Manager to install the firmware, a simple 2 step process that takes all of 1 minute. I announce it here because this is where it is best to notify everyone about the change. Nobody looks at the download page on our website every day looking for updates.  It shouldn't take that long to download the firmware as it is all of 60KB . The Configuration Manager installation is only 1.2 MB, shouldn't take long to download either. Total time from starting the download to rebooting the PMC-Eight after installing the firmware with the updated Configuration Manager is < 5 minutes even with a slow connection.

If your PMC-Eight does not perform like you expect after installing this firmware then I would expect to hear from you regardless.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Inthewoods

-- ya, Ok, 5 minutes. Whatever u say.
EXOSII with PMC Eight went to check eeprom date in my file on my computer. Hmmmmm five minutes vs. Reality.
Explore Scientific AR152
MEADE LXIII 8" SCT
Bresser MikrOkular Full HD Camera
NIKON D5100

W. Christopher Moses

Inthewoods,
I'm sorry you have to go through the process again, but it is just bad timing.  Personally, I'm happy there is a person actively developing the firmware, let alone so willing to actually help us so fast.  In my experience, ES is leaps and bounds ahead of other mount manufactures for both diligence and responsiveness. (Not to say that there aren't other good vendors out there)

I do think the new Configuration Manager should make the process a bit easier.  It will go out and automatically download the firmware.  All you have to do is select it and then hit the "Flash Selected" button.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about it.

Thanks,
Chris
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Losmandy AZ8
Scopes: Tak FSQ 106 EDX4, AT 115, WO Star 71, Mallincam RC6

Inthewoods

OK
2 hours later (5 minutes) seems the download .eeprom from website is 8/15/2019
The download from nethost is 8/16/2019
I downloaded configure manager and surprise, new stuff, easy to use.
Downloaded from website the firmware, unzipped it and started to upload to PMC. I did, gave a horrible error.
Went to the firmware tab, connected to internet and downloaded the given firmware address. It loaded in action box choose the line I needed (after reading text file again) loaded without error.

5 minutes. 2 hours later. After spending 2 hours the first time. Will see if it works✌
--
EXOSII with PMC Eight
Explore Scientific AR152
MEADE LXIII 8" SCT
Bresser MikrOkular Full HD Camera
NIKON D5100

Inthewoods

-- Hay Guess what The thing works like it's suppose to now, exactly what I paid for.🤨
EXOSII with PMC Eight
Explore Scientific AR152
MEADE LXIII 8" SCT
Bresser MikrOkular Full HD Camera
NIKON D5100

Mike Leemhuis

I just wanted to say that I found the configuration manager super easy to load and use and very intuitive. Loading the firmware on my PMC eight EXOS 2 took less than 5 minutes. Many thanks to you and your team for providing this easy to use tool and providing a level of support that I find exceptional. This is a hobby that requires lots of patience. If you have that and some basic software and mechanical skills, the payoff is huge. I’ll attach a picture I took last week of the West Veil Nebula. I just love what the EXOS 2 can do!

--
Mount: Explore Scientific Exos-2
Scope: Explore Scientific ED102CF
Camera: QHY163C
Filter: Optolong L-eNhance 2" for nebula pictures
Software: ASCOM, PHD2, CDC, Sharpcap Pro
Computer:  Dell desktop XPS
Extras:  Lots of 3D printed parts I designed to improve usability

Darryl Ellis

How do I determine which version of the firmware I need, 13 or 13a?  I loaded the later both times and all sends well.

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Astro Tech RC 6 w Pegasus Focus Cube,

Wes Mcdonald

Inthewoods

As you may know I am not associated with ES in any formal way.  I am a user of the exos 2.

I believe your hideous delay was due to a Windows update.  That blue screen you posted looks an awful lot like windows doing its thing to me.  That is not something this forum can help with.

Your internet connection is not something this forum can help with.

Your wildlife problems are not things this forum can help with.

How about you do you us all a favor and limit your contributions to constructive comments or questions?  Snide remarks and sarcasm have no place here.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 06:09 AM, Darryl Ellis wrote:
How do I determine which version of the firmware I need, 13 or 13a?  I loaded the later both times and all sends well.
Hi Darryl,

As the release notes say in the read me file, the "a" version disables the communications watchdog timer which allows the mount to continue to track when disconnected from Explore Stars or the ASCOM driver. This is only useful if you want to use ExploreStars for astrophotography (in TRACK MODE) and start a series of image captures. This allows you to take those images with your tablet turned off if you want to save your batteries or for any other reason. Another use may be for outreach where you want to focus on an object such as Saturn and then turn your tablet off so that you can interact with your guests talking about the object again without using up your tablet batteries.

For most users, the non-"a" version is a safer option that keeps your mount from tracking your scope into anything if you turn you tablet off and walk away forgetting that you were tracking an object. This is a small risk as even if the mount tracks your telescope into an object near the scope, the stepper motors keep the gears safe.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Inthewoods

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 05:45 AM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
Inthewoods

As you may know I am not associated with ES in any formal way.
 Dear retired engineer Wes, Southport NC trying to protect the engineer.

Thanks, free country. If you don't  like my posts don't  read them. Simple. My posts are of this update ordeal and others that are doing it seem to believe it's only five minutes, and that after doing all of this the first time Aug 12 the second time is of no concern. My point being there is a process for software and update roll out from any company to consumer and apparently no one in IT developement is following the progressive process and to top it off I am getting bashed and cussed at for the incompetent corporate behavior of this inconvenient update. With those doing this seem to think that these discrepancies in process is no big deal. When In Fact the firmware discrepancy is a big deal, and config manager discrepency is a big deal.

This is a lack of attention to detail to the process of software rollout. Apparently you are oblivious to the facts of software developement and marketing. Costumer retention dynamics and matrixes. Instead you post what you seem as obviously unrelavent. When it is relevant. It only takes 5 minutes assuming what? That I walk over to the computer and push a button because the telescope genie set everything up for me. Never assume that it is as easy as 5 minutes for the customer.

Sincerely,
Reverand Thomas Alan Robb

EXOSII with PMC Eight
Explore Scientific AR152
MEADE LXIII 8" SCT
Bresser MikrOkular Full HD Camera
NIKON D5100

Tom, you have been moderated, please check your email for the details.

Specifically, this statement is over the top and violates terms 3 through 6 of our Terms of service.

"...and to top it off I am getting bashed and cussed at for the incompetent corporate behavior of this inconvenient update"

The inconvenient update had nothing to do with Explore Scientific, and I don't see anyone cussing at you. Based on the screenshot you provided, it was Microsoft installing the latest Windows 10 updates that you have turned on and allow to happen. We have nothing to do with that update, you are responsible for the configuration of your PC and when Microsoft is allowed to update Windows.

If you wish to continue to use the forum for help on the PMC-Eight you are very welcome here. Please modify your post to remove the offending language and I will consider un-moderating you.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jennifer Shelly

HELP PLEASE

I am attempting to update my firmware on ES G-11 PMC-8 and I keep getting a checksum error "ERR:351-RAM checksum error on COM5"

5       EVT:503-Checking COM5.
EVT:505-Propeller chip version 1 found on COM5.
EVT:506-Loading RAM
EVT:507-Verifying RAM
ERR:351-RAM checksum error on COM5.

4       Success - results:
3       Attempting to upload ROM
2       Received: ESX1!
1       Sending via Serial: ESX!
0       Mount appears to be connected on Serial
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, Meade APO 70 MM Astrograph, QHY Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY168C, ZWO ASI183MC-P, ZWO ASI183MM, Nikon D5600
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance
Imaging Software:  APT, BYN, SharpCap Pro, ASICap