Request advise on how not to hit the tripod legs with all your gear..... #EXOS2

Jim McKee

I have moved up to a real telescope and acquired an Orion EON 115.   After a month of getting everything sorted out (focuser, camera, guidescope and all the little pieces to connect them), I have been exercising the rig and getting familiar with all of the drivers.
That being said, it now operates consistently, but having graduated from a small CANON 100-400mm zoom, to the longer 115mm, tripod interference can stop things dead when slewing.

The focuser needs to be almost fully (90%) extended to focus the camera.  So short of watching carefully whenever I slew (goto) from APT or Stellarium, are there any software helpers to limit the scope's movement or any practical advise on how not to run the camera and focuser into the legs when targeting near vertical targets.

Thanks as always.  All suggestions, critiques, or comments welcome.   Photo of this rig attached. as reference.

--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts

Jim,

Gosh!  I guess that's what they call a "good problem" :-)

If the problem is that the camera is just barely striking a leg, and shortening the distance between the rear ring and the camera body a small amount would help, I suppose you could slide the scope a forward in the rings, and then somehow attach a supplemental weight on the camera end to restore balance.  A bit of a kluge, but if all you need is a small amount, that might get you by.

Or, I suppose you could ditch the tripod and go to a portable pier of some kind...

FWIW...

- Bob
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Dan Ward <danlward@...>

I had a similar problem with an Orion Sirius Mount.  Orion has a pier extension that raises the equatorial head about 10”.  It might fit this mount, but I do like Bob’s idea of moving the tube forward in the rings and adding a little weight to correct the balance.

  - dlw

On Aug 21, 2019, at 5:52 PM, Robert Hoskin <devonshire@...> wrote:

Jim,

Gosh!  I guess that's what they call a "good problem" :-)

If the problem is that the camera is just barely striking a leg, and shortening the distance between the rear ring and the camera body a small amount would help, I suppose you could slide the scope a forward in the rings, and then somehow attach a supplemental weight on the camera end to restore balance.  A bit of a kluge, but if all you need is a small amount, that might get you by.

Or, I suppose you could ditch the tripod and go to a portable pier of some kind...

FWIW...

- Bob
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2-IMX224C
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Jim McKee

Thanks to all.  I was hoping there might electronic to limit RA movement. Dan, I have also looked at that Orion pier extension and wondered if it would work with the EXOS2 tripod and mount interfaces.  But in the short run, as Bob suggested, I moved the tube forward in the rings, and slide the guidescope aft about 6 inches.  That gives me a little more RA leeway.
/JIm
--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts
:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Cameras:   Canon 6D Astro Mod, Canon 7D2, 1D Mk 2, EOS 60D Asto Modified
Lens:
          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Misc:          TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope, Senso Sesto Focus Motor
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. Backyard EOS, StarTools, APT, DSS
Computer:  Dell Latitude E5450, Windows 10

Hi Jim,

Some third-party ASCOM mount control clients allow you to set mount position limits. MaxIm DL is the program that we use in our observatory that has that feature. Other programs might have that as well.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Steve Siedentop

Jerry & Kent -

The Twilight II mount and the EXOS2 PMC Eight use the same tripod.  Can someone test to see if the Twilight II Pier Extension is compatible with the EXOS2?

That be low-hanging fruit to add as an optional feature to the mount.

-Steve

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Skywatcher NEQ-6, Celestron AVX
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Celestron C6, Stellarvue SV80ED, Coronado Solarmax 40
Cameras:  CentralDS CDS-600, Canon T3i, Orion Starshoot SSAG
Msc: Moonlite Focusers, Astrozap Dew Straps, Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox
Software: PixInsight, Cartes du Ciel, BackyardEOS, Stellarmate/INDI/K-Stars/EKOS, Astro IIDC, SkySafari

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

Good idea, but -- alas -- it won't work.

The pier will attach to the EXOS2 tripod, but the EQ head will not attach to the Twilight II pier extension.

An image of the pier extension is here: https://explorescientific.com/products/twilight-2-pier-extension?_pos=1&_sid=d5e96a79d&_ss=r

I cannot think of a way to rig the mount head to attach to the top of the pier.

Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific

Patrick Maher

Is the tripod for the EXOS-2GT non-PMC the same as the PMC version?   If they are the same, the Orion pier extension will work with minor adaptation.  If I remember correctly, you just need to file down the azimuth stud a bit.  Some people even use some Schedule 40 pipe and fittings to gain 4-6" in height and, of course, you'd need to add a longer mounting bolt too.  Personally, I opted to build a permanent pier to resolve a few problems.

Patrick
--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 and EXOS-2GT (non-PMC)
Explore Scientific ED 102mm Refractor

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

The tripods are exactly the same.

Kent Marts
Explore Scientific
Customer Service

W. Christopher Moses

TheSkyX has a limit feature.  Just fyi...
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Losmandy AZ8
Scopes: Tak FSQ 106 EDX4, AT 115, WO Star 71, Mallincam RC6

Cyril Bonnett

Edited

Hi
I have a Orion pier extension fitted but filed the hole instead of azimuth stud, works fine.
Moving the telescope foreward in it's rings and adding some weight helps solves the problem as well, the stick on weights used to balance car wheels work fine.

Wes Mcdonald

Cyril

Can you tell us which Orion pier extension you have and for which exos mount you are using it?

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Patrick which Orion pier adapter did you get?

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

John

Wes,
I just purchased the Orion 7393 Skyview Pro Telescope mount extension for my EXOS2 PMC8 from Amazon.
It required 2 modifications:
  • The bottom plate has a hole where the azimuth stud of the tripod fits.  it was not quite wide enough for the stud.  I had to file the hole a bit larger on the inside of the hole towards the outside edge.  A Dremel with a grinder wheel made short work of it.
  • The azimuth stud on the top plate of the extension is a bit too tall to fit inside the EXOS2 mount.  I used a hacksaw to cut off enough of the top of the stud to get it to fit.
It is a 16" extension and works well.

John
-----------------
John Koors
Wind Point, WI
Mounts
: ES EXOS2-GT PMC-Eight
Scope: Meade AR-5 Refractor
Cameras:  Polemaster, ZWO ASI224MC, Nikon Z6
Software: APT, TheSkyX Serious Astronomer Edition, PHD2, PlateSolve2, ExploreStars

Wes Mcdonald

Hi John

Thanks for that.  The bottom hole for the tripod bolt....does it accept the M10 bolt or do you through bolt with a nut.  I guess that is fine if the stick bolt is long enough?

Is the mount stable with the 16" extension....assuming the legs are not fully out so the tripod circle base is smaller...

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

John

Wes,
The attachment of the extension to the mount takes a different approach.  The top plate is attached to the extension tube with 3 threaded hex bolts.  To attach the pier to the mount you remove the top plate from the tube.  The top plate has a knob (which fits inside the tube) and a bolt that fits through the top plate and screws into the mount.  You then re-attach the top plate to the extension tube.  It's pretty slick.  The other nice part of the design is the use of ball bearings which allow the mount to move easily on the pier when doing the azimuth adjustment.  The disadvantage is that you need to remove the 3 hex bolts of the top plate to get access in order to remove the mount from the extension.

I don't extend the tripod legs and it is pretty solid.  The OTA is also higher in that configuration then extending the legs without the pier extension.  With a 1200mm refractor and my height of 6'2" I appreciate the extra height.   Also, I got the extension because of issues with the eyepiece hitting the tripod legs.  It easily clears now and I believe a camera should clear as well.

One other note the extension will add about 11 pounds to your configuration.

Let me know of any other questions.
John