Topics

How To Do an ExploreStars Assisted "Physical Polar Alignment" As Long As You Can See Polaris #TECHNICAL #astrophotography

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Agreed Wolfgang,

I am still attempting to zero in on the NCP and hopefully, my skies will clear so I can see Polaris.  I am having a ton of fun learning.  I was only interested in planet imaging, but now I can have fun year around looking at Messier objects as well.

I will definitely be more than ready for the next lunar eclipse in the states.

I have a string of apps to test out to see if they can assist me in my endeavors.

Take care and have fun.

JR

i use the live-view of my dslr for that.
Last time i tried with Capella,
Mirach and others i will try next time.
I think in wintertime we can do that longer because the nights will be longer so we waste not much time.
Greetings Wolfgang.

W.F.

Hi JR,
i use the live-view of my dslr for that.
Last time i tried with Capella,
Mirach and others i will try next time.
I think in wintertime we can do that longer because the nights will be longer so we waste not much time.
Greetings Wolfgang.

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Thank you Wes,

I am using an iEXOS-100.  I loosen the knob underneath and rotate the mount and use the latitude adjustment for Mirach.  I cannot see Polaris, so when I slew from Mirach, it is going to an imaginary Polaris.  I then park the mount and then I slew to Mirach.  When Mirach is centered, I call it a day and proceed to imaging.  So far, this works for my Goto functionality.

Around 1:30AM CST, I will start setting up and see if I can image M33 and M42,   M45 if I have time; I will try a Focal length of  600mm on M45.

The only problem using a DSLR with long exposure/ ISO reduction is it  doubles the time required for one image.

JR

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author:
Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Scopes
: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras
:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc
: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,

Software
: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 07:58 PM, W.F. wrote:
i have try this method this evaning.
It works well.

Hi Wolfgang,

That's great news... I look forward to seeing more reports from you about how effective this method is.

Thanks!!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

W.F.

Hello together,
i have try this method this evaning.
It works well.
I used Capella as the sync Star.
After 4 times of corretion i send the iexos 100 into park position and then i made an 2 star allingment.
Then i let the mount slew to the pleijards (M-45) and they was in the middle of the camera picture.
I used the live view of my canon  1000d with an Tamron 35- 200 in the 200mm mode.
Next time i will try an star of Cassiopea.
Greetings Wolfgang

Wes Mcdonald

 Nice. Be interesting to see who actually tries this and how well it works for them.
Wes

jrh at explorescientific.com

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data