Topics

How To Do an ExploreStars Assisted "Physical Polar Alignment" As Long As You Can See Polaris #TECHNICAL #astrophotography

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Agreed Wolfgang,

I am still attempting to zero in on the NCP and hopefully, my skies will clear so I can see Polaris.  I am having a ton of fun learning.  I was only interested in planet imaging, but now I can have fun year around looking at Messier objects as well.

I will definitely be more than ready for the next lunar eclipse in the states.

I have a string of apps to test out to see if they can assist me in my endeavors.

Take care and have fun. 

JR

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of W.F.
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2019 4:41 AM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] How To Do an ExploreStars Assisted "Physical Polar Alignment" As Long As You Can See Polaris #astrophotography #TECHNICAL

Hi JR,
i use the live-view of my dslr for that.
Last time i tried with Capella,
Mirach and others i will try next time.
I think in wintertime we can do that longer because the nights will be longer so we waste not much time.
Greetings Wolfgang.

W.F.

Hi JR,
i use the live-view of my dslr for that.
Last time i tried with Capella,
Mirach and others i will try next time.
I think in wintertime we can do that longer because the nights will be longer so we waste not much time.
Greetings Wolfgang.

Thank you Wes,

I am using an iEXOS-100.  I loosen the knob underneath and rotate the mount and use the latitude adjustment for Mirach.  I cannot see Polaris, so when I slew from Mirach, it is going to an imaginary Polaris.  I then park the mount and then I slew to Mirach.  When Mirach is centered, I call it a day and proceed to imaging.  So far, this works for my Goto functionality.

Around 1:30AM CST, I will start setting up and see if I can image M33 and M42,   M45 if I have time; I will try a Focal length of  600mm on M45.

The only problem using a DSLR with long exposure/ ISO reduction is it  doubles the time required for one image.

JR

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of Wes Mcdonald
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 8:32 PM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] How To Do an ExploreStars Assisted "Physical Polar Alignment" As Long As You Can See Polaris #astrophotography #TECHNICAL

JR

To be clear...you repeatedly pointed toward Polaris and tweeked your az alt bolts then skewed to Mirach where you centered with the keypad and sync’ed.  Right?

That’s amazing 

Imaging coming along nice!

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC
PMC-8, ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Wes Mcdonald

JR

To be clear...you repeatedly pointed toward Polaris and tweeked your az alt bolts then skewed to Mirach where you centered with the keypad and sync’ed.  Right?

That’s amazing 

Imaging coming along nice!

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

Thank you Sir Jerry,

Thank you for sharing this document.  It has allowed me to move from planetary imaging to Messier imaging.

Things gathered from my award winning self-proclaimed journal “thinking hurts my brain, and reading hurts my eyes.”  Again not seeing Polaris, I did the following:

1.        I aimed the mount/ scope North (using my Android compass).

2.       Varied my latitude from 26 to 32 degrees (32-degrees is the magical number for getting to Mirach) as I slewed to Mirach.

3.       I kept slewing back and forth from an unseen Polaris to a seen Mirach, until Mirach was dead centered. 

4.       Then from home position I slewed to M31, M33, and M45.  Some were well within the frame of my liveview finder 

5.       Length of time for setting up:  an hour or two.

6.       Now I have to focus on polar alignment so I can image longer.

7.       I view Mirach as my Goto calibrator for M31, M33, and M45.

8.       I did not do a 2-star alignment

Equipment:

1.       Canon 70D (stock)/ Celestron’s C90 finder scope/ Sigma 150-600mm lens (various focal lengths not exceeding 300m) but soon I will J.

2.       iEXOS-100 mount.

Camera Setup:

1.       Exposure Simulation engaged

2.       Long exposure/ high ISO noise reduction (eliminates hot/ stuck/ dead pixels)

Taking my time learning and slowly moving forward.

What things look like when you don’t think about using long exposure and high ISO noise reduction.  Hot pixels look cute….reds, whites, and blues doing the electric slide throughout the image.  I would have had more exposures, but I imaged myself right into a tree J.  This is my second attempt at M31.  1st attempt consisted of 5-second exposures and who wants to see that J.

Image details:

M31 2nd attempt:

Number of images:  7

Exposure per image:  30-seconds

ISO:  800

FL: 302mm

Bortle: 8-9

Imaging software:  Sequator/ FastStone

Image 2 details:

M33 1st attempt (A disturbance in the force):

Number of images:  10

Long exposure/ ISO noise reduction enabled

Exposure per image:  15-seconds

ISO:  1600

FL: 244mm

Bortle: 8-9

Imaging software:  Sequator/ FastStone

None of these items can be seen with the naked eye or through exposure simulation.  Mirach can be seen with exposure simulation only.

JR

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2019 11:44 AM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: [ESPMC-Eight] How To Do an ExploreStars Assisted "Physical Polar Alignment" As Long As You Can See Polaris #astrophotography #TECHNICAL

I received an email from Wes polar alignment. We have been working together as Wes has been digging in hard to understand the mathematics and code behind the ExploreStars 2 and 3-star "virtual" alignment routines. We have had some good discussions over the past few months about how to improve the "virtual" alignment provided by ExploreStars. Wes has made good progress on determining the source of errors in the mount and in creating the mount model. I will leave it to him at some point down the road to announce his findings and we will announce any modifications we will be making to the software if and when it comes about. 

In the meantime, back to the email Wes sent me, it contained a link to an easy, iterative method that anyone can use to "physically" polar align their PMC-Eight mount system assisted by the ExploreStars application. The only catch is that you need to be able to see Polaris. This method is independent of and does not use any imaging based alignment tools, all you need is a good eyepiece, preferably a cross-hair eyepiece such as the Meade 12 mm 

https://www.amazon.com/Meade-Instruments-12-Millimeter-Achromatic-Illuminated/dp/B0001DZAU6 .

Here is the link to the procedure:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/astro/iterating.pdf

Please take a look I would be interested in your thoughts on this procedure.

Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author:
Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes
: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras
:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc
: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software
: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 07:58 PM, W.F. wrote:
i have try this method this evaning.
It works well.

Hi Wolfgang,

That's great news... I look forward to seeing more reports from you about how effective this method is.

Thanks!!

--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Wilderness, VA
Mounts
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

W.F.

Hello together,
i have try this method this evaning.
It works well.
I used Capella as the sync Star.
After 4 times of corretion i send the iexos 100 into park position and then i made an 2 star allingment.
Then i let the mount slew to the pleijards (M-45) and they was in the middle of the camera picture.
I used the live view of my canon  1000d with an Tamron 35- 200 in the 200mm mode.
Next time i will try an star of Cassiopea.
Greetings Wolfgang

Wes Mcdonald

Nice. Be interesting to see who actually tries this and how well it works for them.
Wes

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 12:43 PM Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:
I received an email from Wes polar alignment. We have been working together as Wes has been digging in hard to understand the mathematics and code behind the ExploreStars 2 and 3-star "virtual" alignment routines. We have had some good discussions over the past few months about how to improve the "virtual" alignment provided by ExploreStars. Wes has made good progress on determining the source of errors in the mount and in creating the mount model. I will leave it to him at some point down the road to announce his findings and we will announce any modifications we will be making to the software if and when it comes about. 

In the meantime, back to the email Wes sent me, it contained a link to an easy, iterative method that anyone can use to "physically" polar align their PMC-Eight mount system assisted by the ExploreStars application. The only catch is that you need to be able to see Polaris. This method is independent of and does not use any imaging based alignment tools, all you need is a good eyepiece, preferably a cross-hair eyepiece such as the Meade 12 mm 

https://www.amazon.com/Meade-Instruments-12-Millimeter-Achromatic-Illuminated/dp/B0001DZAU6 .

Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--
Wes, Southport NC

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

Edited

I received an email from Wes about polar alignment. We have been working together as Wes has been digging in hard to understand the mathematics and code behind the ExploreStars 2 and 3-star "virtual" alignment routines. We have had some good discussions over the past few months about how to improve the "virtual" alignment provided by ExploreStars. Wes has made good progress on determining the source of errors in the mount and in creating the mount model. I will leave it to him at some point down the road to announce his findings and we will announce any modifications we will be making to the software if and when it comes about. 

Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts