Topics

Recent image with G-11 PMC-8 & ES 127 FCD-100 #G11 #astrophotography

Jennifer Shelly

Edited

Edited to include photon collection details.

Hello Fellow PMC-8ers:

I don't normally share my images with the group and this image in particular has some flaws related to the Hex Focuser sagging and spacing between my QHY 168C and ES 0.70x FF/FR.  The use of the hex focuser was temporary while my MoonLite CFL focuser was getting upgraded.  Additionally I am having a hard time finding the correct spacing for the FF/FR as my search results have yielded anywhere between 55 mm to 65 mm.  If anyone could let me know what the correct spacing between my ES 127 FCD-100 it would make my day.

With all that said I am sharing an image of the Horsehead and Flame Nebulas I captured last weekend.  I am satisfied with my results, but I know I can do better.  If you have comments/suggestions please be constructive.

Photon Collection Details:

IC 434 ~ Horsehead Nebula & NGC 2023 ~ Flame Nebula

AstroPorch, VA ~ Bortle 7 ~ Jennifer B. Shelly ~ 11/02/2019

ES Losmandy G-11 PMC-8 ~ ES 127 FCD-100 f/7.5

QHY 168C ~ 2" Optolong L-eNhance ~ ES 0.70x 3" FF/FR

Solomark F60 Guide Scope ~ QHY 5L-IIC

10 Lights ~ 300s ~ -20°C ~ Gain 4 ~ Offset 30

50 Bias ~ 0.001s ~ -20°C ~ Gain 4 ~ Offset 30

6 Darks ~ 300s ~ -20°C ~ Gain 4 ~ Offset 30

46 Flats ~ 0.75s ~ -20°C ~ Gain 4 ~ Offset 30

PixInsight 1.8.7 ~ APT 3.73 ~ Stellarium ~ Stellarium Scope ~ PHD2 ~ POTH

--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, Meade APO 70 MM Astrograph, QHY Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY168C, ZWO ASI183MC-P, ZWO ASI183MM, Nikon D5600
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance
Imaging Software:  APT, BYN, SharpCap Pro, ASICap

myron_wasiuta

Beautiful image! Id be very happy with results like that. Once you get that spacing nailed ( im sure Jerry can help with that) i think youll be very satisfied with the results!
Myron Wasiuta
Director-Mark Slade Remote Observatory
ES CGE PMC-Eight (prototype)

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 10:16 AM, Jennifer Shelly wrote:
Additionally I am having a hard time finding the correct spacing for the FF/FR as my search results have yielded anywhere between 55 mm to 65 mm.
Hi Jennifer,

We use the 3-inch 0.7x FRFF on the 6.5-inch ES 165 FPL53 ED APO CF scope (with a Moonlite focuser - I think they are the best) in the MSRO and it works pretty well. The scope is F/7 and with the FRFF it is f/5.2. The design spacing is 55 mm which is what we use. Our imaging train is a QHY163C camera with QHY FW-S and the FRFF.  It's pretty flat in the middle but the field curvature starts to increase towards the corners when using larger chip cameras.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jennifer

When I grow up I hope I can take such a picture.  Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Bill Black

Awesome picture. Great, crisp detail in there.
I second the 55 mm back focus to the focal plane. I believe that is a camera industry standard.

 Bill

Jennifer Shelly

Edited

I had to send my scope back to ES for repair and collimation. This image is first light taken on 12/19/2019 of the Rosette Nebula.  This image has the same spacing as the Horsehead image posted previously.

Photon collection details:

NGC 2237 ~ Rosette Nebula ~ 12/19/2019

AstroPorch, VA ~ Bortle 7 ~ -2.5°C

4 Lights ~ 600 seconds ~ -20°C

3 Darks ~ 600 seconds ~ -20°C

50 Bias ~ 0.000125 second ~ -20°C

10 Flats ~ 4.35938 seconds ~ -20°C

ES 127 FCD-100 Triplette APO f7.5

ES PMC-8 Losmandy G-11

QHY 168C ~ Unity Gain

MoonLite CFL 2.5" Focuser ~ Mini Controller V2

Optolong 2" L-enHance

QHY 5L-IIC ~ Solomark 130 mm Guide Scope

APT 3.85 ~ PHD2 ~ Stellarium + Scope

PixInsight 1.8.8-3