Topics

Orion Nebula M42 at the MSRO #G11 #astrophotography #TDM

Here is an image I took this past Tuesday but didn't have time to process until today. I typically try and image the Orion Nebula once or twice a year. I was up late and decided to take about an hours worth of data. This is a stack totaling 68 minutes of exposure. I have posted the full-size image here in the files section.  Download it from there and you can see all the detail.
https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/photo/112946/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Taro

Jerry

Very exciting shot this.

I have a question
(1)You take this M42 only one sub 68min or  stacked some shots?

Now Thailand has little bit clear sky.
So I try to take some pics with IExos-100.
If I can get nice one, then I up here.

--
Living in  Pattaya Thailand
Scope: Celestron 6SE,WO Z61,WO RedCat51, SVBONY SV48

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 05:58 AM, Taro wrote:
(1)You take this M42 only one sub 68min or  stacked some shots?
Hi Taro,

This is a stack of 68 x 1 min images stacked and processed with MaxIm DL and Photoshop.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Bill Black

Just Wow! -- look at all that smokey detail!
Was this with or without guiding?
 Bill

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 09:18 AM, <wcblack1020@...> wrote:
Was this with or without guiding?
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your kind words about my image.

We don't auto-guide at the MSRO, we use the Telescope Drive Master (TDM) drive correction system which is a high-resolution (0.125 arc-seconds/count) incremental encoder on the RA axis that sends corrections to the auto-guider port on the G11 PMC-Eight 5 times per second. The tracking error is around 0.3 arc-seconds RMS. I have been using the TDM for about 9 years now, I was Explore Scientific's first customer for the system in 2010. Before I was hired by ES in 2013, I did some work on the system for them, and  created some software to record data from the system that is available from our website. Here is a paper I wrote about the performance of the system.

http://www.mda-telescoop.com/images/stories/downloads/tdm_control_investigation.pdf

The best thing about the TDM is that you can turn it on and forget it, no messing with an auto-guiding system which in my opinion is a pain in the ass. I found out early on when doing astrophotography that my time is worth more than the amount of money paid for the TDM. I am considered the expert on the system other than the guys in Hungary who developed it.

There is a big, long thread on CloudyNIghts from 2011. It was a pretty long and comprehensive discussion. I don't know if all the links in the messages work anymore.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/348458-telescope-drive-master-the-truth-of-the-matter/?p=4471194

Thanks for the question.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jim McKee

Jerry,
Two questions about TDM.
1) How does it deal with backlash in a less precise mount such as the EXOS2.   Being as it is an encoder, if the RA needs to reverse directions, does it reverse to a known absolute position to bypass backlash?

2) is the TDM adapter for the LX75 compatible with the ExoS2-GT?

--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts

Bill Black

TDM sounds cool.
I've thought about designing a mount using shaft encoders. Seems like you should be able to essentially eliminate periodic error, backlash, plus other benefits over counting motor pulses.
--

Bill
Location: Dallas, GA

Mounts: EXOS II PMC-Eight, LXD75