Topics

Amazon Fire 8HD #EXOS2

Timothy Myers

I have read that my Nexus 7 may not work properly with PMC-8. I should have my new mount within a week and will give it ago, but thinking about other options and saw that the Amazon Fire 8HD does work. Since these are relatively inexpensive tablets I am thinking of giving one a try. have also read that there is a problem with intermittent drop out of the wifi signal and wondered if anyone can elaborate or let me know if a solution to this has been found.

Wes Mcdonald

Timothy

Why does the PMC8 wifi drop?

There are two thoughts on this.

1.  Interference.  This might be true, and certainly could be the reason sometimes.  But in.my experience it is not the only cause.  I used to drop in a wide open channel.  One issue is the PMC8 I'd shipped with the wifi channel not centered on the usual channels.  Thus would lead to sideband interference from adjacent channels.  So I would advise you to use your wifi dongle and increment the channel to one of the main ones.  Use channel 1, 6, or 11.

2.  Hardware/firmware issue in the wifi chip that leads to it loosing the udp port number.  When this happens the mount will respond to commands from explorestars but the display of mount data in the app will not update.  This is often addressable by using the restore comms function in the settings section of the app.  In my experience this does sometimes work but you may have to shut down the mount and app and restart to get going again.

That issue is just one reason to use the mount with ascom and a wired connection.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Harry

Timothy, I have been using the Fire HD 8 for quite some time, and have had no WiFi dropouts or other WiFi issues.  I am usually connected for over an hour and worked fine.
Probably make sure both mount and tablet are fully powered/charged.

Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ExploreStars IPAD & Fire HD8, Explore FirstLight EXOS Nano
Nikon D600, D5500

Wes Mcdonald

Timothy

Harry makes an important point I failed to mention.  While it is true the wifi might drop, fact is it doesn't do it very often.

A third reason I forgot to mention is cheap wifi adapters in budget tablets.  So Harry's experience with the fire tablet Isa good indication that things will be fine.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

Another issue could be the tablet going to sleep. The sleep mode often disconnects the wifi -- making it appear that it has dropped when in reality it has disconnected.

I set my Android to go to sleep at the longest period possible-- seems like 30 minutes is the max length. the iPad has a Never Sleep setting, which is what I use.

Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific

JJ75

Also, in recent Android versions there's an option of disabling battery optimization for selected apps. I would do this for ExploreStars.

As long as there's one app that keeps WiFi awake, the Android subsystem supporting WiFi won't go to sleep either.

I hope this helps.

JJ