ASUS Nexus 7 #EXOS2 #ExploreStars

Timothy Myers

I have used my Nexus 7 for a couple years with my Celectron Scopes and SkySafari, SkyPortal. I found an app that keeps my tablet on all the time either of those two apps are running, so I do not have the issues with it shutting down.

I also loaded ExploreStars on it and I have no issues with the ExploreStars screen being cropped.

The only issue I see is that my Nexus 7 does not have an external SD card slot so I cannot load the celestial database. I have tried pitting it in the picture folder directly onto the tablet with no joy.

Has anyone worked out a way to load the database on a tablet without an SD card?
--
Tim Myers

Telescopes:     Celestron 4SE, Celestron 8SE
Mounts:           4-5 SE, 6-8SE, EXOS-2GT with PMC-Eight
Cameras:        ASI1600ME, Cooled
Tablets:           Asus Nexus 7

Wes Mcdonald

Tim

It apparently isn’t possible to put the database in main memory.  But, though not useful for you, the app can be moved to an SD card and it seems to be fine.  At least on my Samsung tab a

We’d

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Timothy Myers

Seems weird that the location of the file would be limited to the SD card, but then I am not a programmer or coder at all so I don't really have the background to understand such things. I have a TAB A 10.1 S-PEN, that it would work on, but I use that Tablet for work related stuff and don't really want the mixed use.

I guess I will either have to look at a Fire 8HD or look into one of the older samsungs that are known to work. They are not that expensive to pick up and I have been reviewing your Topic Thread about compatible devices. Thank you for that and your responses here.

My EXOS -2GT is supposed to arrive Wednesday evening, fingers crossed.
--
Tim Myers

Telescopes:     Celestron 4SE, Celestron 8SE
Mounts:           4-5 SE, 6-8SE, EXOS-2GT with PMC-Eight
Cameras:        ASI1600ME, Cooled
Tablets:           Asus Nexus 7

Wes Mcdonald

Tim

The older Samsung tab a 7 inch is what I bought .  It won't update Android anymore but it work great.  2016 tab a.  Model sm-t280.  Runs Android 5.1.1

I think I paid $60 for it.  Haha.  Cheap date.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

Explore Stars, Android version, looks for the database in one place, and one place only: The external memory.

I cannot speak to why that is or the decision tree that lead to that. But that's what it is.

Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific

Pavel

Has anyone worked out a way to load the database on a tablet without an
SD card?
Yes, I posted it here a few months ago. The application actually tells
you where it is looking for the files. But it is difficult to read it in
such a short moment. If there is no SD card, the full path is usually:
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.explorescientific.explorestars/files/ExploreStars

Best regards,
Pavel

Timothy Myers

Paval,

Thank you that was easy enough to do. Question: Is the interface on the Android different from the one on a PC? I am not seeing the buttons across the top and bottom of the screen, or is that the scale issue with the Nexus 7?
--
Tim Myers

Telescopes:     Celestron 4SE, Celestron 8SE
Mounts:           4-5 SE, 6-8SE, EXOS-2GT with PMC-Eight
Cameras:        ASI1600ME, Cooled
Tablets:           Asus Nexus 7

Pavel

I have never seen any other version except of the one for Android, but I suppose there are some small differences in the design. There are also minor differences between the slightly outdated documentation and the newer application updates that Jerry partly explained somewhere before. I still have no idea about the function of some buttons, such as the one concerning fimware.

For me, the UI fits perfectly on a 7” screen. On a 10” screen, there is free space on the right and bottom. I also tried my phone with a 6” screen and (of course) this is a no-go: only top left part of the control screen is visible with the most of the direction buttons and site data, OTA data and target data. The rest is missing. Also the settings screen is incomplete. On the other hand, the catalog scales very well on any screen size, large or small.

Regards,
Pavel

5. 2. 2020 v 1:07, Timothy Myers via Groups.Io <tim_s_myers=sbcglobal.net@groups.io>:

Paval,

Thank you that was easy enough to do. Question: Is the interface on the Android different from the one on a PC? I am not seeing the buttons across the top and bottom of the screen, or is that the scale issue with the Nexus 7?
--
Tim Myers

Telescopes: Celestron 4SE, Celestron 8SE
Mounts: 4-5 SE, 6-8SE, EXOS-2GT with PMC-Eight
Cameras: ASI1600ME, Cooled
Tablets: Asus Nexus 7

Wes Mcdonald

Tim

The apps have different, though similar, UI.  Also the Android and the IOS versions have the most recent improvements while the Windows version is still the same as the initial release I believe

The main UI difference between Windows and Android (iOS also) is that the various options are accessed via the menu button located next to the zero on the main screen number pad.  That gives you a slide-in pick list. Try them out to find the goodies.  Many things in the settings menu which you will need.

One of the important changes in Android (over Windows) is its ability to inhibit auto align.  I recommend everyone turn auto align off.  With this off, you have the opportunity to skip through proffered alignment stars without having the mount skewing around the sky as you skip to the next star searching for one that is visible.  Jerry mostly, if not completely, crushed a persistent issue with slewing from one star to another rapidly.  While the mount probably can handle it now, I just don’t do it.  Disable auto slew and be very happy.

Another difference between Android and all of the other apps is the ability to search for an alignment star during the alignment procedure.    Start the alignment and when you want to select a star just go to the catalog.  The app will pull up the star page and prompt you to select the associated alignment star.  Note the app picks stars automatically that are most likely going to result in a good alignment— remember the relative locations of the stars matter when it comes to accuracy.  But if you want to you can pick your own stars.  I have found it is helpful sometimes to pick another star than the one auto picked but in the same constellation, owing to obstructions.

Hope this helps

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Skull HQX

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 03:24 PM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
One of the important changes in Android (over Windows) is its ability to inhibit auto align.  I recommend everyone turn auto align off.  With this off, you have the opportunity to skip through proffered alignment stars without having the mount skewing around the sky as you skip to the next star searching for one that is visible.  Jerry mostly, if not completely, crushed a persistent issue with slewing from one star to another rapidly.  While the mount probably can handle it now, I just don’t do it.  Disable auto slew and be very happy.
Hi Wes, for clarity, I think you mean 'auto align' instead of 'auto slew'?

Btw, the iPadOS version is able to turn off auto align as well. I'm not sure about the current Windows version to be honest. I'll check and report back soon.

Wes Mcdonald

No need to check.  The ability to inhibit autoslew is only in the tablet versions not the windows version.  As I stated, the tablet versions are more advanced than the windows version at the moment.  This will not always be the case however.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Timothy Myers

My new mount arrived last night and my Nexus connected to it flawlessly, at least in the house. I did a fake two star alignment and slewed all over the sky (actually living room).

The main difference I see is that the Windows App uses an AppBar button while the Android App uses a Menu Button. I noticed that the Android App does not have the following, Sync on Target, Alignment Tour, and Capture Target.

I do see a button in the settings screen that says USING FW OR IGNORE FW, and I am not sure what that is.

So using a Nexus 7 with no SD card and what appears to be total control, and no drop outs, so a very happy camper.

Thanks again to Pavel, for the correct file path.
--
Tim Myers

Telescopes:     Celestron 4SE, Celestron 8SE
Mounts:           4-5 SE, 6-8SE, EXOS-2GT with PMC-Eight
Cameras:        ASI1600ME, Cooled
Tablets:           Asus Nexus 7

Wes Mcdonald

Tim

The sync button is at the bottom left of the keypad in Android.  I think it shows up after you do a go-to.

The Use FW button tells the app to look to the firmware for the firmware type and set the mount type to the proper mount (iexos or exos2) automatically.

I don't have my equipment with me now so I can't comment on the capture target functions.  The alignment tour as I recall simply took you to the alignment stars and was not particularly useful to me.

In my view the  Android app is better and has everything and more that you need.  One feature you get with Android is the P/T button is actually a mode button.  This button allows you to put the mount into either track or point mode.  The difference is subtile but important if you were to try imaging with explorestars.  Track mode runs the RA axis at sidereal rate while leaving the Dec axis stationary.  It updates the mount rapidly and provides smooth tracking.  The Point mode adjusts both Ra and Dec 5 times a second which is great for visual observing where the polar alignment is not so good and you have done a 2 or 3 star alignment.  It tries to keep the desired Ra/Dec in the center of the eyepiece.  The jitter this mode imposes, while no problem for visual, will ruin a photograph.  Note in windows this "button" is only an indicator, and one transitions between modes by doing a goto (automatically mount goes to P),  and adjusting position via the keypad (mount switches to T).  I might have that reversed.  But you get the point I hope.

Glad you stuff is ticking away!

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Pavel

Thanks, Wes, this is exactly the information, which is not explained very well in the documentation and I have been trying to find out as well! I guess it should be collected somewhere for other users, but at the moment all the different links one can find lead to different sources of information - not easy to find out what is the most up-to-date version and what is a bit obsolete.

Best regards,
Pavel

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 10:52 AM, Pavel wrote:
which is not explained very well in the documentation
The links to all the information on the mount system is on the Main page of this forum and include links to the extensive Knowledge Base articles and the software, user manuals, and other downloads.

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN

https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/explore-scientific-knowledge-base-and-faqs

It's all there on the first page one goes to to join the forum.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data