Question on Explore Scientific EXOS2-GT Equatorial Mount with PMC-Eight GoTo System

Kevin Rea <reakevinscott@...>

Hi guys,

I have just purchased the “Explore Scientific EXOS2-GT Equatorial Mount with PMC-Eight GoTo System” mount.

I was wondering why other telescope users in astrophotography are telling me that this mount is only capable of

Carrying 10 pounds of weight when doing astrophotography, when the specs clearly state 28 pounds ??
Not only that, but I know this mount without photography, just viewing will carry in excess of 70 pounds..

Thanks,
Kevin Rea

Lancaster, Calif.

Welcome, Kevin!

I doubt that anybody who had ever actually used one would say that, but there's lots of advice (say... on CloudyNights?) that fits a formula.  If someone comes along asking for advice, the person advising will go with what they think is, in their experience, the safest choice.  And if the OP comes back with "ok, but...", then they'll try to layer their perception of safety on top of that consideration.

Basically, I think most of the advisors on CN are simply playing it safe regarding a mount they are unfamiliar with.  And they may also be considering that a significant fraction of folks posting will think of their mount as a black box that either works or doesn't, and are unwilling to pick up a hex wrench, crack a cover, and make a needed adjustment.

The EXOS2 PMC8 is basically the LXD75, upgraded with decent ball bearings on all axes, powered by a belt drive with few moving parts and decent motors, and a very robust controller.  Mechanical adjustments are easy to do.

My setup is midsize for here, about 13.5lbs of refractor, guidestuff and DSLR.  Some of the members are using larger payloads, some smaller.  If I do my part (adjustments, balance, etc.), and the weather cooperates, I can track round stars for as long as I need (guided), as can lots of others here.

What scope/imaging payload are you planning to use?

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Wes Mcdonald

Kevin

I have to weigh my rig but as Bob mentioned 14# is well inside the weight limit for good astro.  You can find a pic I shot of M42 in the forum.

My load is as follows
1.  ADM replacement saddle mount and vixen saddle...this weighs more than the stock part
2.  Es 127 APO carbon fiber, dew shield
3.  Small vixen saddle on scope handle
4 two scope rings and 60mm guide scope with  ASI 290 mm mini guide camera: mini vixen bar on guide acope
5.  Telrad
6.  Nikon DS5300
7.  Teleview .8 focal reducer/flatener (a little heavy thing)
8. Dew straps and cables.for all this stuff
9.  One large counterweight and a 5 pounder

It's a pretty big rig and works well enough, as Bob put it, when I do my part.  These mounts need some personal attention mechanically to make them perform to their peak capability.  I can guide to something between 2 and 1 arc second depending on how things shake out on any given night.

I just bought another hunk of metal, a Moonlite motorized focuser, and I have no fears of adding this extra.weight.

I really should weigh my rig....

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Clendon Gibson

I believe some of the confusion is that most mounts simply have a weight limit and that the rule of thumb is that 1/2 the weight limit is good for astro. The EXOS2 distinguishes in its literature between an astro weight limit and a visual weight limit. If you don't know that and take the astro weight limit and then 1/2 it or 1/3 it...

[...]

charles mckowen

I’m packing around 18lbs doing Astro and having no problems. Sharp images and smooth tracking

On Feb 3, 2020, at 3:16 PM, Kevin Rea <reakevinscott@...> wrote:

Hi guys,

I have just purchased the “Explore Scientific EXOS2-GT Equatorial Mount with PMC-Eight GoTo System” mount.

I was wondering why other telescope users in astrophotography are telling me that this mount is only capable of

Carrying 10 pounds of weight when doing astrophotography, when the specs clearly state 28 pounds ??
Not only that, but I know this mount without photography, just viewing will carry in excess of 70 pounds..

Thanks,
Kevin Rea

Lancaster, Calif.

--
Chuck McKowen
Bortle 3 Mangham/Monroe, La

WO Z61, ES ED 102, AstroTech 6 Rc,
Celestron onyx 80 edf
Zwo 60mm/ Asi120mc-s
Astromania 60mm/ sgcmos
Exos II Pmc8/ Ioptron Smarteq++
Canon eos rebel t5 modified
Canon Eos Ra
Poth - APT, Stellarium, Stellarium scope, and PHD2