Topics

Data base is on SD card but will not load onto the application #ExploreStars #Android

John Pirrone

I used my windows 10 laptop to load the explore stars database onto my Micro SD card. Installed it into my Lenovo Smart Tab M10. I can open ES and can move the mount but none of the database objects are in the app. When I open it an error message comes up that says Could not open database file and a bunch of other stuff but  I can't read all of it because it disappears too quickly.
I can find the SD card on my tablet in the storage and I can open it and see the photos, alignment stars, etc. but it will not show up in the Explore stars app.
Driving me nuts!

Pavel

Hi, that’s the common confusion of multiplatformity I am also forgetting all the time: the use of a SD card is specific to Android devices. If you use a Windows computer, the correct location for the database is (said to be) your „Pictures” folder (please, correct me if I am wrong, I am not using Windows myself).

Best regards,
Pavel

4. 2. 2020 v 4:59, John Pirrone via Groups.Io <pepperonihead=gmail.com@groups.io>:

I used my windows 10 laptop to load the explore stars database onto my Micro SD card. Installed it into my Lenovo Smart Tab M10. I can open ES and can move the mount but none of the database objects are in the app. When I open it an error message comes up that says Could not open database file and a bunch of other stuff but I can't read all of it because it disappears too quickly.
I can find the SD card on my tablet in the storage and I can open it and see the photos, alignment stars, etc. but it will not show up in the Explore stars app.
Driving me nuts!

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

The quick message that flashes up states that it cannot find the sqlite files. Those are the database files.

That tablet appears to be an Adroid device. As such it needs a different database set from the one Windows uses. You need to download the Android database on the Windows machine, extract it correctly, install it on the SD card, and put it card in the device.

There may be some security settings on the device that have to be set.

Here are the directions I’ve written, and posted before:

Follow the steps exactly:

1) From this page -- https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/android-os-download -- download the Android database onto a Windows machine.

2) Go to where it downloaded, probably the download folder, where you'll find ExploreStars in a zipped file.

3) Click on it ONCE.

4) At the top should see, in pink, Compressed Folder Tools. Click on that -- NOT on Extract.

5) A bit below that, on the right, you'll now see Extract All. Double click it.

6) I suggest you click the browse button so can make the machine download it onto your desktop. Once the location is chosen, click selection.

7) Then click Extract.

The extraction process will start.

Now that it is downloaded:

1) Find the ExploreStars folder on your desktop.

2) Double click it to open it. Inside should be 2 files – the Images folder and the file ExploreStars.sqlite.

If you have not already done so, insert your micro-SD card into the computer slot.

1) Open the micro-SD card. Delete ALL ExloreStars folders that may reside there.

2) Close the micro-SD card.

3) Click and hold on the ExploreStars folder AND DRAG it onto the micro-SD card.

4) Open the micro-SD card to verify the folder is on the FIRST LEVEL of the card.

5) If it is not, Get on the FIRST LEVEL.

6) Eject the card.

On the tablet:

1) If it is running, close the ExploreStars app.

2) Insert the micro-SD card.

3) Turn off the tablet.

4) Turn on the tablet.

5) Launch ExploreStars.

That process should get you up and running.

Now, some devices require you to give permission to let the app access the database. That is different on different operating systems. If that's the case, I need to know exactly what operating system you are running. You can probably Google it and find it yourself.

The most common mistaken I've seen in this process happens in Step No. 4 in the first paragraph: 4) At the top should see, in pink, Compressed Folder Tools. Click on that -- NOT on Extract. The mistake is clicking on Extract under the pink box. Click on the pink box to access the correct Extract All button.

I hope my directions make sense. I typed them as I went through the process on my computer.

Kent Marts

Customer Service

Explore Scientific

--
Kent Marts
Customer Service

Gear: Anything in the store!

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 09:13 AM, John Pirrone wrote:
I can open ES and can move the mount but none of the database objects are in the app.
Hi John,

I am sorry you are having issues getting ExploreStars to work on your Android device. I assume that you used this page to download the database file:

https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/android-os-download

Please note that the ExploreStars folder copied to the root of the SD card contains not only the images folder but also the file "ExploreStars.sqlite" that is the file your device is looking for. First, verify that file is there, and then you need to make sure (Step 3 in the procedure) that under the application permissions (under settings) that you give the ExploreStars app permission to access your external storage (SD card).

It should work for you if you have done these steps.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Pavel

Oops! So, you use Windows just to install the database for an Android device - then follow Kent and Jerry, I am terribly sorry!
P.

4. 2. 2020 v 15:37, Pavel via Groups.Io <pavel.vondricka=ff.cuni.cz@groups.io>:

[...]

I followed that instruction exactly to the letter and I am still getting that same error when I open explore stars that say it cannot find the database.  There is one difference in step four. See below:

4) At the top should see, in pink, Compressed Folder Tools. Click on that -- NOT on Extract.
You say the compressed folder tools file should be Pink, It is not. The pink box is above it and says EXTRACT. Below that the box that says Compressed folder Files is NOT IN PINK. I did click on Compressed folder files box NOT Extract and the process worked, it seemed until I loaded the SD card into my tablet and opened Exporestars and got the same error.

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 10:40 PM, John Pirrone wrote:
I followed that instruction exactly to the letter and I am still getting that same error when I open explore stars that say it cannot find the database.
Did you do step three of the instructions on this page:
https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/android-os-download

Namely:

NOTE4: It is recommended that you use a Windows PC to perform step 1.

  1. Unzip the download and place the folder on the root of the MicroSD card.
  2. Install the MicroSD card into your Android device.
  3. Under Settings/APPS/ExploreStars grant Permissions for External Storage and Location. .
If you do not do step 3 to enable access to the SD card, then it will not find the database file.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

John Pirrone

Yes all permissions are turned on in  Settings/APPS/ExploreStars.
When you say the Root of the SD card. My windows 10 pc shows me two levels for the SD card. There is a top level and a bottom level.  I dragged the data base into the top level. Maybe I need to drag it into the bottom level. I am not sure which of these two is the ROOT level???

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

John:

If you use the CM to load the database onto the SD card, it will all be done properly for you.  Try it.  It under the Explorestars tab.

1.  Open CM and go full screen
2.  MAke sure your PC is connected on line to the internet
3.  Put your SD card on your PC as a drive.  Thisis done with a card reader typically.  Windows will recognize the thing and make it an external drive.
4.  Open the explorestars tab in the CM
5.  Click the radio button to Install to SD Card.  When you do you will see the database location change fom blahblahblahComplete to blahblahblah.zip
6.  Press the download button.  But First, note you are not downloading to the SD card, you are going to a temp file on the C drive.  When you press download you will get a verification window, clock OK.  Then wait for the Down Load complete window to pop up.  Click it off.
7.  Select the removable drive location under Step 2.  Press install.

Thats it.  All the files you need will be in the right place on the SD card.  Eject it and install it on your tablet.  Fini.

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

John Pirrone

Sorry for my late reply. Not being all that computer savvy, I guess. Can you please tell me what CM is??? LOL.

John

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 9:30 AM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
[...]

This is a screen shot of what it looks like when I download it. Same on my pc and laptop exactly. The EXTRACT is in PINK, NOT the Compressed folder file. I have tried this so many times my head is spinning and nothing works.

John

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Oh, sorry.  Use the Configuration Manager.  It can be downloaded from the ES web site.  It will go get the latest version of the database and put it on the SD card for Android systems.

wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

John Pirrone

Ok. I did all that. So there is three items at the bottom.
They say
2 Deleting existing DB
1 The database was successfully downloaded
0 Downloading file. Please wait.
So I assume it is working

[...]

Wes. Here we go again. I did exactly what you said, to the letter. When I click on install in step 2 I immediately get an error message that says Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this message and attempt to continue. If you click Qui, the application will close immediately.
Could not find a part of the path F:\.'
So I clicked continue anyway and all I am getting is downloading the file please wait.  My SD card is in the computer. I tried this with both my laptop and my PC and got the same error and the same result. The SD card says it is empty when I look at it.
I am pretty sure I don't have to wait an hour for the Downloading file please wait message.
I will keep it on and see what happens but I don't think it is going to work.

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 6:13 PM John Pirrone via Groups.Io <pepperonihead=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Kent at Explore Scientific customer service is a MIRACLE worker! We got it going. I had some issues with both my laptop and my PC that he had not seen before, but somehow we got the database on my tablet and it is WORKING!!!! I am not sure even he knows how we did it. I don't have to buy a windows table now and can use that money for FUN STUFF! LOL!
Thank You, Kent for your time and patients!