California Nebula with the G-11 PMC-Eight #astrophotography

Steve Siedentop

ES ED127CF FCD100
.7 Reducer
CentralDS CDS-600 Cooled DSLR
ES G-11 PMC-Eight
20 subs, 5 minutes each, ISO-1600

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40
Cameras:  CentralDS CDS-600, CentralDS Astro 60D, Orion Starshoot SSAG
Msc: Moonlite Focusers, Astrozap Dew Straps, Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox
Software: PixInsight, Cartes du Ciel, BackyardEOS, SkySafari

Jennifer Shelly

Very nice Steve.  Well done.  Is the 0.7x reducer your using the 3” ES version?  If so, what is the spacing between the camera sensor and reducer.  Are you using a filter?  Did that affect your spacing?  I ask because I have read several posts on CN that state if filters are used then additional spacing is required which is 1/3 the thickness of the filter being used.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY168C, ZWO ASI183MC-P, ZWO ASI183MM, Nikon D5600
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance
Imaging Software:  APT, BYN, SharpCap Pro, ASICap
Processing Software: PixInsight, Lightroom, Premiere Elements

Steve Siedentop

Hi Jennifer -

I have the Moonlite 2.5” focuser with the Moonlite to ES adapter for the reducer.  I’m using the ES adapter with 45 mm of backfocus as I’m using a Canon DSLR.  It’s a camera from CentralDS that’s starts out life as a T3i and after modification ends up in a sealed aluminum housing with a cooler directly behind the sensor.

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 10:33 AM Jennifer Shelly via Groups.Io <drunkendogg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Very nice Steve.  Well done.  Is the 0.7x reducer your using the 3” ES version?  If so, what is the spacing between the camera sensor and reducer.  Are you using a filter?  Did that affect your spacing?  I ask because I have read several posts on CN that state if filters are used then additional spacing is required which is 1/3 the thickness of the filter being used.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40

Steve Siedentop

I’m also using a CLS filter that fits inside the housing.  Not a clip in, but it does fit inside the housing.

-Steve

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 2:44 PM Steve Siedentop via Groups.Io <sdsiedentop=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Jennifer -

I have the Moonlite 2.5” focuser with the Moonlite to ES adapter for the reducer.  I’m using the ES adapter with 45 mm of backfocus as I’m using a Canon DSLR.  It’s a camera from CentralDS that’s starts out life as a T3i and after modification ends up in a sealed aluminum housing with a cooler directly behind the sensor.

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 10:33 AM Jennifer Shelly via Groups.Io <drunkendogg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Very nice Steve.  Well done.  Is the 0.7x reducer your using the 3” ES version?  If so, what is the spacing between the camera sensor and reducer.  Are you using a filter?  Did that affect your spacing?  I ask because I have read several posts on CN that state if filters are used then additional spacing is required which is 1/3 the thickness of the filter being used.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts

--

--

Jennifer Shelly

Steve,

Thank you. It appears your setup the measurement begins at the threads of the ES adapter to get you to 55mm. 

Canon camera    44mm
T-ring                   11mm
Total back focus  55mm

If that is correct have you determined how flat your field is (percentage)?

Thanks,

Jennifer

--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
Cameras: QHY128C, QHY168C, Nikon D5600
Imaging Software:  APT, BYN, SharpCap Pro, ASICap

Steve Siedentop

I unfortunately don’t have an answer for you.  I actually don’t use flats, believe it or not.  There isn’t enough vignetting in my images for me to justify the extra time and work to generate flats.

-Steve

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:55 AM Jennifer Shelly via Groups.Io <drunkendogg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Steve,

Thank you. It appears your setup the measurement begins at the threads of the ES adapter to get you to 55mm. 

Canon camera    44mm
T-ring                   11mm
Total back focus  55mm

If that is correct have you determined how flat your field is (percentage)?

Thanks,

Jennifer

--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
Cameras: QHY128C, QHY168C, Nikon D5600
Imaging Software:  APT, BYN, SharpCap Pro, ASICap

--

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 11:31 AM, Steve Siedentop wrote:
I unfortunately don’t have an answer for you.  I actually don’t use flats, believe it or not. 
Hi Steve,

Jennifer was referring to how flat the image was in terms of field curvature, not a flat calibration frame.

Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!