California Nebula with the G-11 PMC-Eight #astrophotography

Steve Siedentop

ES ED127CF FCD100
.7 Reducer
CentralDS CDS-600 Cooled DSLR
ES G-11 PMC-Eight
20 subs, 5 minutes each, ISO-1600

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40

Jennifer Shelly

Very nice Steve.  Well done.  Is the 0.7x reducer your using the 3” ES version?  If so, what is the spacing between the camera sensor and reducer.  Are you using a filter?  Did that affect your spacing?  I ask because I have read several posts on CN that state if filters are used then additional spacing is required which is 1/3 the thickness of the filter being used.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY168C, ZWO ASI183MC-P, ZWO ASI183MM, Nikon D5600
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance
Imaging Software:  APT, BYN, SharpCap Pro, ASICap

Steve Siedentop

Hi Jennifer -

I have the Moonlite 2.5” focuser with the Moonlite to ES adapter for the reducer.  I’m using the ES adapter with 45 mm of backfocus as I’m using a Canon DSLR.  It’s a camera from CentralDS that’s starts out life as a T3i and after modification ends up in a sealed aluminum housing with a cooler directly behind the sensor.

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 10:33 AM Jennifer Shelly via Groups.Io <drunkendogg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I’m also using a CLS filter that fits inside the housing.  Not a clip in, but it does fit inside the housing.

-Steve

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 2:44 PM Steve Siedentop via Groups.Io <sdsiedentop=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Steve,

Thank you. It appears your setup the measurement begins at the threads of the ES adapter to get you to 55mm.

Canon camera    44mm
T-ring                   11mm
Total back focus  55mm

If that is correct have you determined how flat your field is (percentage)?

Thanks,

Jennifer

--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY128C, QHY168C, Nikon D5600
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance
Imaging Software:  APT, BYN, SharpCap Pro, ASICap

Steve Siedentop

I unfortunately don’t have an answer for you.  I actually don’t use flats, believe it or not.  There isn’t enough vignetting in my images for me to justify the extra time and work to generate flats.

-Steve

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 11:31 AM, Steve Siedentop wrote:
I unfortunately don’t have an answer for you.  I actually don’t use flats, believe it or not.
Hi Steve,

Jennifer was referring to how flat the image was in terms of field curvature, not a flat calibration frame.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data