Topics

#iexos-100 #FIRMWARE #iEXOS-100 #FIRMWARE

Derrell Oliver

Hi,
 Is there a way to check to see if i have the latest firmware on my IEXOS-100 mount ?
Thanks.
--
Derrell Oliver

Meade Infinity ST80 with Lunt Solar dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 90 with GSO dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 130 with ScopeStuff 1.25 crayford focuser, flocked tube and center spotted mirror.
GSO 8x50 RACI finder scope.
ZWO ASI120mc-s, Canon XSi 450d.
EQ2 Mount with Orion EQ-2M RA Drive.
AZ3 Alt-Azimuth Mount.

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

Yes.

Easiest way is to download the Configuration Manager to a Windows machine. It’s on this page:  https://explorescientific.com/pages/software-and-downloads-for-pmc-eight-system

Connect the mount to the computer with a USB to USB-mini cable.

Launch the Configuration Manager. Make the window larger so you can see all of it.

Click on the Connection tab, then change the Mount Type to iEXOS-100. Click Find. It should show the com port the mount is connected to.

Under How Do You Want To Connect, click Do It next to Find Current Connection.

Down at the bottom Current Mount Connection Method should show Serial, and be in a green box.

Click on the Advanced tab. On the right, select the Serial Communications Method.

Click the Version (ESGV!) button.

In the dialogue box below, the version you are running should appear. It should state Received:ESGVES1A10B3!

If it DOES NOT come back with A10B3, then you need to update the firmware.

To do that, click on the Firmware tab.

Click on the download button. When the list comes up, click on the 1A01C_10B_3 eeprom line.

Click on the Flash Selected button.

A warning box will appear. Read it. Click OK.

Another warning box will appear. Read it. Click OK.

A Propeller communication box will appear and go through the steps. When it’s done, if everything went well, it Propeller dialogue box will go away and there will be some communications in the message box.

To verify the version updated, go back to the Advanced tab and again execute the Version (ESGV!) button.

That’s it.

Kent Marts

Customer Service

Explore Scientific

 Is there a way to check to see if i have the latest firmware on my IEXOS-100 mount ?
Thanks.
--
Derrell Oliver

Meade Infinity ST80 with Lunt Solar dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 90 with GSO dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 130 with ScopeStuff 1.25 crayford focuser, flocked tube and center spotted mirror.
GSO 8x50 RACI finder scope.
ZWO ASI120mc-s, Canon XSi 450d.
EQ2 Mount with Orion EQ-2M RA Drive.
AZ3 Alt-Azimuth Mount.

--
Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific

Gear: Anything in the store!

Peter Visima

I guess it is safe to assume that Mac users are out of luck? Why can't the ExploreStars app check the firmware version of the mount?

Peter V
Toronto, Canada

Derrell Oliver

Thanks Kent !!
I will check it out tonight.
--
Derrell Oliver

Meade Infinity ST80 with Lunt Solar dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 90 with GSO dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 130 with ScopeStuff 1.25 crayford focuser, flocked tube and center spotted mirror.
GSO 8x50 RACI finder scope.
ZWO ASI120mc-s, Canon XSi 450d.
EQ2 Mount with Orion EQ-2M RA Drive.
AZ3 Alt-Azimuth Mount.

Wes Mcdonald

Peter, what tablet do you run explorestars on.  Android and iOS definitely check the firmware version for you.  Not sure about Windows.  Assume you have iPad?

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Peter Visima

Hello Wes!

I was able to connect to my ibexes-100 mount using my Apple iPad. Under "About" I found this:
ES Version: 2.1.9
DB Version: 2.3 (85643)
FW Version: 0.00

I assume that I have to do a firmware upgrade. I do have a PC laptop that I find is absolutely miserable to use. I will follow the instructions regarding downloading the Configuration Manager and then the necessary firmware file.

This is the first opportunity I have had to power up my mount. Everything seems OK and I did a rough daytime polar alignment. Inside the house I asked it to slew to the Sun, and it was way, way, off. Not sure what that is all about. I'm a total newbie here with this mount and my main goal is astrophotography using my Nikon D750 along with a variety of lenses.

Peter

Peter Visima

This didn't work for me at all. I'm a Mac guy, and reluctantly I fired up a PC laptop I have. I connected the mount to the PC with a USB to USB Mini cable. Fired up the Configuration Manager software and tried to connect. No go. So frustrating. I hate the PC!
From my iPad previous to trying this I have this information:

ES Version: 2.1.9
DB Version: 2.3 (85643)
FW Version: 0.00

Peter V.

Lloyd Simons

Peter,
It looks like you may need to enable the com port. I had to go into device manager to enable it the first time I connected to the mount via serial. The configuration manager can be a bit clunky but if you are patient it will work. Remember UDP->TCP->serial.
--
Lloyd Simons
Mattawan, MI

Peter Visima

Lloyd:

I'm not seeing anything in the Device Manger re com port. I'm on Windows 10. Did I mention that I hate the PC? It really shouldn't be this difficult.

Peter V.

Wes Mcdonald

Peter

Be sure to load the parallax USB to serial device driver on the PC from the parallax web site.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Peter Visima

Wes:

I'm using a usb to usb to usb-mini cable. No serial cable. What am I missing?

Peter V.

Wes Mcdonald

Peter

The iexos has inside of it a usb to serial converter. The cable is necessary but not sufficient.  You are missing the driver.  Trust me.  Like any other peripheral, you have to load the driver in Windows.

We’d

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Peter Visima

I downloaded a driver. Not sure if it was the right one since you did not provide a link.

Restarted the computer, restarted the mount, plugged in the USB cable, fired up the software, spun around three times, and nothing.

I give up.

Wes Mcdonald

Never give up, never surrender.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Peter Visima

Same again. If this driver was necessary (and I have installed it) why was it not listed in Kent's list of instructions above? Or is it assumed that every PC person knows that it has to be installed? This is frustrating beyond belief and I am just going to use the mount the way it is. Great hardware, but the software leaves a lot to be desired.

It is interesting to note that on one hand, the iPad ExploreStars software is a very easy one button download/install. But the Android version requires all kinds of separate downloads for the software and then the database which it seems many people have problems with.

Please make a Mac version of the Configuration Manager! And no, I'm not going to run Parallels or Boot Camp on my Mac to emulate a PC.

Obviously I am doing something wrong on my PC laptop, and I now officially surrender. I will just have to live without whatever firmware updates have been done, not knowing how those updates have improved the mount.

Peter V.

Max <asanmax@...>

Hey Peter,

Don't panic! Too early to surrender. PCs are our friends. You need to choose the COM port from the drop-down list in Configuration Manger to be able to connect to the mount.
Go to FTDI website, download and install FTDI driver for your version of Windows. Restart.
Connect the mount to one of the USB ports on your PC.
Power up the mount, wait for 30 seconds.
Open up PMC-Eight Configuration Manager and choose the COM port from the drop-down list.
You may need to try different USB ports on your PC.

Cheers, and remember “Everything is meaningless, and we’re all going to die” - Dylan O'Donnell.

Max

Steve Firth

Hi Peter, I did similar to you with my new IEXos 100: A rough polar alignment inside the house, but then the "goTo" was way out for the Sun the moon, and later that night Venus. If I work out what's amiss I'll repost here. i['m new to this, so probably doing something wrong.

Wes Mcdonald

firth

Take a look at.my.note to Peter concerning making sure that settings and mechanical arrangement of explorestars and the mount are correct.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

Peter,

Email me at service @ explorescientific.com. Give me your phone number.

I will remote in to your desktop and see what I can figure out.

Please install Team Viewer on your Windows machine, if it does not already have it. You can check by typing Team Viewer in the "Type here to search" box in the bottom left corner.

--
Kent Marts
Customer Service

Gear: Anything in the store!

Jed Orme <jedtorme@...>

Peter,

I urge you you to get in contact with Kent. I had the very same problems as you initially & he really got mine sorted out & my serial connection working.

Jed