Topics

locked Camera shutter control w/ iExos-100 #iEXOS-100 #astrophotography

RobertFCda <fisher@...>

I'm considering buying an iExos-100 PMC Eight setup. Have done a forum search and didn't find an answer.

Products from iOptron and Sky Watcher include the ability to manage the shutter of a DSLR for longer (>30 sec) exposures. The ES product does not.

What are users of the iExos-100 doing to control the shutter automatically for Bulb exposures?

Thank you.

Lloyd Simons

What model camera?
--
Lloyd Simons
Mattawan, MI

RobertFCda <fisher@...>

Sorry, didn't think that would matter for camera control software.

Any of Nikon D800, Z6, or Fuji X-T1. Mostly the Nikons. Very occasionally the Fuji.

Lloyd Simons

Robert,

You can get a cheap intervalometer if your camera has the suitable port. I have one that cost about $10 and it works well. D800  Z6

If you want to get into full control with a computer, newer Nikons and Canons are well supported in most astroimaging software. Something like BackyardNikon or NINA on a PC or laptop should suit your needs. I use NINA with my Canon and it is great. It's a very powerful sequencing software that also happens to be free and open-sourced. It is well supported by a very active development group.

Other models aren't well supported but people have found work-arounds.

--
Lloyd Simons
Mattawan, MI
Telescopes: Astrotech AT72ED II, Orion 8" Dobsonian, Tectron 15" Dobsonian, Celestron Super Polaris C8
Imaging Camera: Canon T3i
Guide Camera: QHY5L-IIM on a 60mm F4 Guidescope
Mounts: iExos-100 PMC-8, Vixen Super Polaris
Mount Control: KODLIX gn41 mini PC, Explorestars on a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F Android 6.0
Software: N.I.N.A. for imaging, PHD2 for guiding, Sharpcap for PA, Cartes du Ciel, PixInsight

RobertFCda <fisher@...>

Thanks. Was hoping not to have to haul a computer every time I go out. Particilarly in colder weather, a laptop battery wouldn't last long.

The cameras all have built-in interval timers. You can only do a sequence with shutter speeds to 30 seconds. You can't automate a bulb sequence with those; either built-in, or accessory.

I'll check out those software applications.

Chris Tardif

I use Astrophotography Tool on Windows and I'm trying to learn Sequence Generator Pro.  I have tried NINA...not successfully

You can do longer than 30 second exposures with an intervalometer like a Shutter Boss.   https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840096-REG/Vello_rc_c1ii_Shutterboss_Version_II_Timer.html

Chris

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.

RobertFCda <fisher@...>

Thanks. I'll have to look into remotes like that again. In the past, you weren't able to sequence Bulb exposures even with an external interval timer.

RobertFCda <fisher@...>

Edited

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 12:34 PM, RobertFCda wrote:
Thanks. Was hoping not to have to haul a computer every time I go out. Particilarly in colder weather, a laptop battery wouldn't last long.

The cameras all have built-in interval timers. You can only do a sequence with shutter speeds to 30 seconds. You can't automate a bulb sequence with those; either built-in, or accessory.

I'll check out those software applications.

 On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 12:34 PM, RobertFCda wrote:
Thanks. Was hoping not to have to haul a computer every time I go out. Particilarly in colder weather, a laptop battery wouldn't last long.

The cameras all have built-in interval timers. You can only do a sequence with shutter speeds to 30 seconds. You can't automate a bulb sequence with those; either built-in, or accessory.

I'll check out those software applications.

 Thanks. Haven't had to look at accessory interval timers for many years. I read about the Vello one linked earlier and didn't think it did, but may have misread. Will look into some of these for Nikon and see what's available.

Cybermonk

Won't an intervalometer  do what you want?  I use one with my DSLR.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020, 21:20 RobertFCda <fisher@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

I think it is time to lock this thread. There are plenty of other forums that are more relevant to DSLR intervalometers and what the best one is for any particular use. Sorry.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data