Some of my customer support is done off-hours and are overtime hours I spend outside my normal work activities working on improving existing products and on new product development. I am available to customers most anytime, and I will break off what I am doing during the day to handle a problem that Kent typically brings to my attention.  I enjoy supporting our customers and have made a lot of friends over the years.

So I hope this clarifies why I locked the DSLR thread, and my continued support of our customers.

Thanks for being a member of the PMC-Eight Forum and I look forward to helping you become successful in your endeavors.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Robert Babb

Thank you Jerry for your dedication and the sacrifice of your free time in supporting this forum. It must be difficult considering there will always be new comers to the astronomy hobby and therefore many of the same questions over and over which I am sure is a challenge to moderate.

Thank you again,

Robert Babb

The recent thread entitled “Camera shutter control w/ iEXOS 100” asked a question about whether the PMC-Eight iEXOS 100 mount system could be used to control a DSLR in taking pictures. There were several responses suggesting that an intervalometer is typically used to perform the desired functions. We do get suggestions asking why we don’t provide a feature like company X, or company Y, and suggesting that we should add this specific feature which was the context of this question. Rest assured we evaluate every customer suggestion and make decisions about whether to include it in our future products, we just won’t always say that about a specific suggestion. To be clear, the PMC-Eight is a “precision motion controller” that is dedicated to controlling the mount and is just one component of an overall mount goto navigation system.

Since the forum was created to support our customers and prospective customers in answering their questions about the PMC-Eight control system, I felt that this particular thread had fully answered the question about how best to perform DSLR shutter control. I decided to lock the thread because it was not PMC-Eight related at that point, and suggest more information could be obtained by going to another DSLR related forum, i.e. CloudyNights.

For those new to the forum, here is a little history. Even though I am the VP Engineering for Explore Scientific, I started this forum almost 3 years ago and managed it as it grew from a handful of members to almost 400 members today. New members do not know the history of how I personally support our PMC-Eight customers 7 days a week, day or night (sometimes) to maximize their success using our products. We are a small company so every one of our employees wear multiple hats including me.  In the past year I have appointed 4 moderators to the forum and very much appreciate them taking the load off of me to answer the most common questions new members have. I still try to do my part to answer questions on the forum and have overall authority as to how it is moderated.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Scopes
: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras
:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc
: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,

Software
: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!