Choosing Alignment Stars

Matthew Krauft <mckrauft@...>

Hello. Using Explore Stars, during a two or three star alignment, is there a way to choose the star(s) you’d like to align with? I don’t have a lot of sky to work with, and every time Explore Stars initially chooses alignment targets behind a tree. Thank you.

Taro

Hi Matthew
I'm using iEXOS-100 at my Backyard,and only one my problem is same as you.
My house and garden tree, next door's house,,,,,

So I want to search alignment star my self in Explore Stars.
Just have only this function, Star alignment time will be 50% shorter than now.

To Jerry , Kent.

Is there any idea about this?

--
Living in  Pattaya Thailand
Scope: Celestron 6SE,WO Z61,WO RedCat51, SVBONY SV48

Chris Bourque

Matthew and Taro

I agree, having the option to directly input which stars you'd like to align with would make it easier in some cases!

As far as I know, the only way around this right now is to simply keep hitting "next" during your 2 or 3 star alignment, until an adequate star is selected. In the "Settings", ensure "Auto Align" is turned off. That way the mount will not automatically try and slew to the stars each time you hit "Next". Once you find a star that works, hit "Go To" and the mount will slew to the approximate location. Proceed with your alignment normally from there.

Taro

Hi Chris.

Yes I am operating that you said . But too many "Next" button needing my case.
My Backyard sky is only N-S 45Degrees, E-W same 45Degrees that is why.
If I can specify  stars myself , It's very much convenient
So I want this searching function.

Thank you for your advice!!
Clear skies!!

2020年5月4日(月) 18:51 <chrisjbourque@...>:

[...]

Wes Mcdonald

If you use the android app you can use the search feature while doing alignment.  Otherwise you must just keep on popping along using the next button.

If you can manage to do a mechanical polar alignment you will not need to do the 2-3 star thing.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

W.F.

Hi Guys,
when i make the 2 star allingment, i start it.
Mostly i also cant see the stars at one side.
So after the mount has moved i just go to catalog and us the option allingment tour.
There i can pick the star who i need for my allingment.
After i confirm that star i just pick an other in the catalog until the allingment is finish.
Greetings Wolfgang.

Wes Mcdonald

Wf

What operating system are you using?  Android, iOS, or windows?

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Taro

Hi Wes.

I use iPad. means can not use search function by this version.
Hope next version have search function.

But your polar align information for easy star alignment is very useful.

Thank you Wes for support us.

2020年5月4日(月) 20:43 Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...>:

If you use the android app you can use the search feature while doing alignment.  Otherwise you must just keep on popping along using the next button.

If you can manage to do a mechanical polar alignment you will not need to do the 2-3 star thing.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Living in  Pattaya Thailand
Scope: Celestron 6SE,WO Z61,WO RedCat51, SVBONY SV48
CCD: SONY Alfa7Sii,SONY QX1, PENTAX KP,ASI 178MC,ASI 120MC-S
          SAMSUNG SCB2000N
MOUNT: Celestron AVX,Celestorn SE+Wedge,iEXOS-100,SW Star Adventure
FILTER: HA,Oiii,OPTLONG L-PRO,OPTLONG L-eNhance, Etc
SubLens: 2" Flattener, 2" 2XBarlow, 2" F/0.5 Reducer, SCT F/0.63 Reducer
ETC: GPS,StarSence,iPolar

Taro

Hi W.F

This operation is  easy to select alignment star than normal operation.
I'll check next clear sky night.

Thank you

2020年5月4日(月) 20:46 W.F. <hatsumono64@...>:

[...]

Wes i use the android version with my tablett.
ES Version 1.9.20051.494 DB Ver: 2,3 [85643] FW Ver: 1.00

After start alignment, go to catalog then i have already a menu open "Pick first alignment star"
Greetings Wolfgang.

brian skinner

Hi Mathew, on the settings page of the ES App you have an option to turn auto alignment off, this is essential where you don't have full sky visibility. What I do before starting my viewing session is use Sky Safari or similar to identify potential alignment stars reasonably close to my intended target. Most of these will be listed in the ES database but sometimes not so you need to consider others until all are usable as alignment stars.
So my process is, identify your alignment stars by turning the ES App on and do a dummy manual alignment to confirm your alignment candidates. With auto alignment off you select two or three star alignment and then toggle between the settings page and catalogue page which will invite you to select your alignment stars in turn. Slew and enter/sync to these stars in turn to confirm that they are available/listed in the database.

When you start your session for real, follow the same procedure as above.

Hope that helps, Brian

Matthew Krauft <mckrauft@...>

Thank you, Brian, and everyone who has chimed in with useful information. I will attempt to unpack all of this info, as I am a super noob at this.

On May 4, 2020, at 12:39 PM, brian skinner <brianjimskinner@...> wrote:

[...]

Wolfgang:

Thanks!.  Yes that is the only application where that works that way.  Just Android.  It is different from the Windows Alignment Tour.

Wes.

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 11:23 AM, Matthew Krauft wrote:
[...]

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

Go to the settings an turn Auto Align to off. Now you can hit next and step through the stars.

To get the scope to slew, once you get to the star you want, you’ll have to tap the goto button down on the right.

And, when you select and object to view (not to align to) you’ll hit slew to, then goto.

Kent

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Robert Parks

Mr. Burke's is a gentle, accurate constructive criticism.  Whilst one may find "the answer" to most any question by searching the forums of the main group and subgroups (although one must search each one individually), and the engineer is accessible, responsive, and thorough in a way that is unprecedented in my experience (go Jerry), paper manuals in the box for the machine, and the app, are a reasonable expectation.  I know that ES products are geared to make high-end astronomy gear economically available to even beginners, and beginners are frustratingly ignorant about astronomy in general (guilty) but "here is how to put all your new equipment together, what all the parts are called, and how to use the handy app to move it around" sure would have flattened my learning curve.
--
Robert Scott Parks - Northwest Arkansas, USA

Mount: Explore Scientific EXOS II GT WITH PMC-8
Polar Finder: EXOS II integrated with illuminated reticle
Telescope: Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 FCD1 Air-Spaced Triplet ED APO Refractor
Finder: Telrad
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7", Dell Venue 10 Pro 32bit OS, Samsung Galaxy S20+
Steering Software: ExploreStars App, ASCOM/POTH + StellariumScope/Stellarium + Wifi Scope + SkySafari Pro

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:08 AM, Robert Parks wrote:
"here is how to put all your new equipment together, what all the parts are called, and how to use the handy app to move it around" sure would have flattened my learning curve
Hi Robert,

Although I understand that putting a paper manual and the software "in the box" with our products may be a desire for some, it is not the reality of this hobby, or the industry. Practically any product you buy will require you to go to the manufacturer's website to get the latest and greatest information. This is not unreasonable. We provide one web page to get all the necessary materials and documents you should need about our equipment. We have to balance our need to provide equipment specific information with trying to teach the customer the hobby, and about the how and why of using our equipment in furtherance of their pursuit of the hobby.

Frankly, we are not here to teach astrophotography or other aspects of the hobby to our customers. In my opinion, it is up to the customer to teach themselves about the hobby, join a club and get a mentor, or do the other things necessary to meet their own goals and needs. We freely offer advice on where to go and how to do things when asked. My book, "Scientific Astrophotography" provides a single source to understand all there is to know about the equipment to get you well down the path to success. I am not sure if this meets the requirements you are talking about but this is a technical hobby regardless of your goals, there is learning involved and a certain level of self-instruction required.

I don't mean to make this sound like we do not want to do what you suggest, but we can only do so much.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

darrell burke

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 10:57 AM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering wrote:
"Frankly, we are not here to teach astrophotography or other aspects of the hobby to our customers. In my opinion, it is up to the customer to teach themselves about the hobby..."
Where pray tell did he ask you to do that?

Also please direct me to the online info that derails the differences between the windows  and andriod interface. I mean obviously it must be my unrealistic expectations that are the issues ... or perhaps my laziness.

There is this video for the windows version you did 2+ years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hPg4IZZlXY&t=793s

Which completely leads an android used astray and there is this:

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/topic/32744075#4268

And that is NOT easy to find.... but again I guess its my fault I can't find this stuff and spend 75 percent of my time searching this place and the rest of the the internet and 25 confused in the dark not understanding the vargarities of the interface.

As for industy standards ... I don't know about 'paper in box' [although why that is considered unreasonable given the $$$ one forks out is completely illogical]  - but if you visit Clestron, the Manual and Software section is simple and easy to navigate. They don't ask you instead visit a forum to find out basic operating instructions by rooting around like a pig searching for truffles.

If I buy  car - I don't expect the the manual [and yes they still include manuals I believe] to teach me how to drive or how to drive in the snow ... but I do expect it to tell me how to change the clock on the dash, where fuses are and all the things specific to the automobile.

But I rather doubt given your response you will be moved one iota from your position.
PS I knew about the search function and not what I asked about - no more than Robert asked you to teach him astrophotography.