Trouble setting up Exos 2 mount #EXOS2 #ExploreStars #ASCOM

Travis

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some assistance with some trouble I am having setting up my Exos2-gt mount.

I am currently trying to use it via WiFi, connected to a Microsoft Surface tablet. On that tablet I have installed the ExploreStars app as a starting ground to get the scope up and running. Ultimately I would like to be able to get it working with ASCOM to use with applications like APT PHD and Stellariium and the sorts, but I am having some trouble even getting past the basics with the mount.

Currently, when trying to use ExploreStars, I am simply receiving a message saying "please wait" - Which from what I have read, indicates that the application and its database is installed correctly, it just needs to connect to the mount. I have gone into the preferences and have GPS on, and chose exos2 as the mount. I have ensured that I have my tablet connected to the WiFi SSID for the PMC-8 unit before launching the app.

On the PMC unit, my light configuration shows power to the WiFi module (2), WiFi connection light (4) is flashing green at a slow but steady rate, WiFi association flashes red fast then turns off completely once I connect to the mount over WiFi, And of course Main Processor Power (6) remains lit in red. At no point does WiFi Data Transmission (1) become lit - even when trying to connect from the ExploreStars app.

I then tried to see if I would have any luck with ASCOM, so I installed the ASCOM platform (including c++ packages), Installed the ASCOM drivers, but the moment I try to connect ASCOM to the mount when 'choose a telesope', ASCOM freezes up and I have to force it closed - but very briefly my Wifi Data Transmission light (1) flashes yellow, then turns off when the application freezes.

I then thought maybe it was due to some other software on my tablet, so I completely reinstalled Windows 10, completed all updates, reinstalled the ExploreStars app and database,  but still came to the same result - just saying 'please wait'.

I haven't been able to try with serial, because no computer I have purchased over the past near decade has had a RS-232 serial port on it in, so I am currently waiting for a USB to RS232 adapter from amazon - but my understanding is that this mount is designed to be used wirelessly especially with the ExploreStars app.

I hope I included enough info, but am happy to provide more if someone can help me determine what i'm missing here.

Thanks very much!

Travis

--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro

Robert Parks

A good place to begin would be to download the PMC-8 configuration manager utility and install it on your surface pro; then run it, following the prompts, with the mount powered up and banging away on wifi.  That will let you connect to the mount with a different piece of software so you can confirm it is doable.  It may be Windows is fighting you.

http://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/PMC8ConfigurationManager103.zip

Good luck
--
Robert Scott Parks - Northwest Arkansas, USA

Mount: Explore Scientific EXOS II GT WITH PMC-8
Polar Finder: EXOS II integrated with illuminated reticle
Telescope: Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 FCD1 Air-Spaced Triplet ED APO Refractor
Finder: Telrad
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7", Dell Venue 10 Pro 32bit OS, Samsung Galaxy S20+
Steering Software: ExploreStars App, ASCOM/POTH + StellariumScope/Stellarium + Wifi Scope + SkySafari Pro

Travis

Thanks for the info Robert. Since posting I have downloaded and attempted to connect it to the mount. I have chosen the correct mount in the connection settings and I made sure the wireless radio button is selected. I tried to use ‘find current connection’ and when I select ‘do it’ the application also locks up and has to be forced shut. ‘Find’ seems to only be for if I am connected with a com port if I’m not mistaken.

Is that correct?

Thanks!

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 8:53 AM Robert Parks <dionyxian@...> wrote:
[...]

Travis Hale-Vokey

--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Canon sl2 dslr

Wes Mcdonald

Travis

No com port is needed for WiFi connection .

Try a few things

1.  Ensure your tablet will not automatically connect to any WiFi network except perhaps to the pmc8.

2.  Make sure you loaded the correct database for Windows application.  I can’t remember where or how but you probably know this.

3.  Clean boot pmc8

4.  Attach pc to pmc8 WiFi.

5.  Boot explorestars

6......?  Ok?

Are you sure you were connected to pmc8?

Try this

1.  Clean boot pmc8
2.  Connect pc to pmc8 WiFi
3.  Boot configuration manager
4.  Open connection tab
5. Look at broom of window (expand window do you can see the bottom). Is the pmc8 WiFi indicator green or red?

That is all you need to know.  The cm will show the connection as green if it found the mount.  If it is red the WiFi is not actually connected.

Then we go from there.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Travis

Hi Wes,

I believe its the correct database for the ExploreStars app. I downloaded both the app and the archive from the explorescientificusa website and was careful to select both for windows 10. The app just says please wait instead of giving a database error so i don't think its the wrong database.

Definitely connected to the correct Wifi network 'PMC-Eight-79"
The config manager shows "Current Wifi Network "PMC-Eight-79" in green but the 'current mount connection method' shows 'unknown in red' - screen shot atttached

Once I click 'Do it' beside 'find current connection' the application freezes and I force it shut.. I tried leaving it for 30 min in case I was being impatient, but when i returned it was still frozen.

I have also installed the software on my desktop PC to see if it was related to my tablet, but i end up with the exact same issues from my desktop PC as with my tablet.
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Canon sl2 dslr

Travis

I know where it says mount type it shows G11.. i just forgot to change it for the screen shot.. I had it on ExosII but it defaults to this when opening the application. I don't think those connections settings matter anyways for wifi connection. though
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Canon sl2 dslr

Wes Mcdonald

Travis

Ok let me think about it and get back to you

Meanwhile that mount setting is important if you had an iexos 100.  Otherwise you are correct for WiFi checkout

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Travis

appreciate it Wes,

In the mean time i'm going to see if my local PC shop has an RS232 to usb. Amazon seems to want to wait to friday - i'm not so patient. If I can  get it on Serial, but not on wifi maybe i'll try to flash the eeprom with the software on ES's website and see if maybe it was just some sort of configuration issue. Will update thread with any new info.
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Canon sl2 dslr

Wes Mcdonald

Travis

I won’t say it’s impossible but I think it is unlikely the firmware is broke.

I see you have an android galaxy tab7. You could try that out.  Android works better anyway, and it would be a convenient way to do a quick check anytime in the future.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Travis

I don’t unfortunately. My work phone is a Samsung but I think I read it must be a tablet.
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Canon sl2 dslr

Wes Mcdonald

Travis

Let’s try this

Get you into the CM.  Make sure the green pmc8 indicator is present.

Goto advances tab

On right, under connection method click the tcp button

Then send the ESGp0!  Command and see what happens.  Then send the ESGV! And see what happens

If these things return answers then you are connected and odds are the firmware is fine.  That will tell us the issue is your explorestars load.  Or some such thing

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Travis

Wes,

That has been done. to both commands I get a reply of simply 'HELLO'. Should I be expecting a different reply?

--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Canon sl2 dslr

Wes Mcdonald

Yes you should

This is telling us something.  I think the WiFi board is indeed in a bad state.

Need Jerry to weigh in now

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 11:03 AM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
is is telling us something.  I think the WiFi board is indeed in a bad state.

Ok i'll stand by. Thanks Wes

--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Canon sl2 dslr

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Good day Travis,

Have you tried the PMC8 Utility tool?

Also have you checked the driver in ASCOM to make sure it was set to

WiFi instead of serial?

Your IEXOS-2GT would be the RN-131 module.

JR

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 11:03 AM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:

is is telling us something.  I think the WiFi board is indeed in a bad state.

Ok i'll stand by. Thanks Wes

--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Canon sl2 dslr

Wes Mcdonald

Travis I think you are in debug mode.  That is not supposed to happen.  Can you send a ###

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Travis

Hey JR,

I have tried the utility. When first launching the utility it says "connected to PMC-Eight-79" and then if I click on 'test WiFi', it comes back and says "wifi connection not found check settings and try again"

as for the ascom driver, I do have it set to wifi, and when I try to connect it returns an error:

--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Canon sl2 dslr

Travis

Do you mena my telephone number? Is there a way to send a private message in here?
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Canon sl2 dslr

Travis

i think i got it.. sent you a private message
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Canon sl2 dslr

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Hello Travis,

Ok on you think you got it.  I think your message was directed to either me or Wes.

Have fun.