Topics

#astrophotography #goto #iexos-100 #iEXOS-100 #astrophotography #goto

Daniel Burdziak

Hi all!

I just got my iexos-100, and will be using it with a Rebel T6, and lenses, no telescope. I currently have the 75-300mm kit, 18-55mm kit, and the 50mm 1.8 lenses. I had a few questions I was hoping some seasoned pros could answer, as I am VERY new to this. I got everything setup, and ready (supposed to be clear tonight), and will be doing a 3-Star alignment as I cannot see Polaris from my yard due to trees.

Once aligned, I know I can slew to an object. Once it slews to the object I want to photograph does it track it, or is there an extra step?
With my lenses I usually use the 75-300 at 300 set to F5.6, and 6400 with 2 second exposures, what would a good setting be? Would I be able to do 30 or more seconds?
I'm assuming I can still have my intravelometer attached to the camera for setting exposure/interval and all that.

I really just want to make sure I don't get out there tonight, and just end up frustrated, or searching for an answer.

Thank you,
Daniel

Marco

Hi Daniel,

for me (with also 300mm f5.6 Tele-Lens) best combination was ISO1600 and about 10-15sec exposures. Higher ISO was not satisfying for me, as there was too much noise in the pictures.
I could only reach longer exposure times with correct polar alignment, but never more than 30sec.
So you should try what fits best for you, I don´t think anybody can tell you.

CS
Marco--
Home: Bortle 5, Germany
Mount
: ES iEXOS-100
Scope: Skywatcher 72/420mm ED-APO
Guidescope: TS-Optics 50/162mm
Guidecam: ALccd-QHY5
Camera: Canon EOS 60D
Software: DSS, CdC, Stellarium, APT, PS

Chris Tardif

Start with the wider end and work your way up.  If you're going to go to the 300mm range of your lens you will want to think about autoguiding.  With that you can get nice long exposures.  Otherwise you're going to be sticking close to the 500 rule:

This 500 rule: https://astrobackyard.com/the-500-rule/

Not this 500 rule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Hxkex87jY (Warning, Dylan O'Donnell & salty language)

This guy just landed a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oiTVGA2zIs

You can bolt a small guide scope onto the camera with an L-bracket.
--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.

brian skinner

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 11:08 AM, Daniel Burdziak wrote:
[...]

Hi Daniel, your set up is identical to mine. For starters, although I don't view unless I can see Polaris, and point to it, with a three star alignment I'm sure you are good to go as long as your mount is level and pointing as close to true North as you can manage.
My mount tracks very consistently and accurately, I find up to 2 minute exposures to be fine. With the light pollution I have to contend with I find ISO 400 is about the best with anything more than a 10 second exposure, you just need to experiment basically.
Regarding tracking I understand that Tracking is preferable to the Pointing option when two or three star aligned. When you have completed the alignment process, and you now pointing and synced to your target you will find the tracking option is selected by pressing one of the UDLR buttons momentarily if the app shows P (pointing) mode.
Hope that helps, Brian

Daniel Burdziak

Welp took it back out tonight, and followed your steps.

I was able to 3-star align, and get it to slew from one object to another, and then back to the first. However, it wasn't tracking. I would take a photo, and it was just trails. This is what I did:

Slew to object -> Goto -> Pushed "Up" for just a second to get it to switch to "Tr"

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Good day Daniel,

If you are using a telephoto lens make sure you do not have image stabilization-Canon, or optical stabilization-sigma turned on.

JR

Welp took it back out tonight, and followed your steps.

I was able to 3-star align, and get it to slew from one object to another, and then back to the first. However, it wasn't tracking. I would take a photo, and it was just trails. This is what I did:

Slew to object -> Goto -> Pushed "Up" for just a second to get it to switch to "Tr"

Chris Tardif

What was the focal length of the lens and if it was a telephoto lens, what was it set to?

What was the exposure time?

Chris

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.
CameraASI120MM Mini (mono), Altair GPCAM 130
Control PC: Intel NUC
Loc: 44 -79

Daniel Burdziak

It’s the Canon 75-300mm kit lens, and it was at 300mm. I can get great untracked photos with it, but I tried it at 30”, 20”, and15” on the iexos-100 and got nothing but tails/trails. It was like the stars were moving (obviously), but the tracker wasn’t moving/tracking.

Trav <eyeseayou21970@...>

Hi
Can any of you tell your experience with images of Venus and look at attached photo with some tips?

Hi Trav,

How does this question relate to the PMC-Eight control system and/or mounts?

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Trav <eyeseayou21970@...>

Yes one question on that there are different rates of tracking how do I set those or is it automatically done on objects selected.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 03:43 PM, Trav wrote:
Yes one question on that there are different rates of tracking how do I set those or is it automatically done on objects selected.
Hi Trav,

The planets and minor planets move slowly and are effectively tracked at the Sidereal rate, the same as the stars. Only the Sun and Moon show any appreciable movement over the typical session times (a few hours) during your observations.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data