locked User Manual Poll #poll #ExploreScientific

We at Explore Scientific always value our customer's feedback, and so I want to ask you about your experience with our user manuals.

Question: What do you not like about the Explore Scientific user manuals?

Please respond and comment on this thread with additional information you may want to share.

Please choose all that apply.

Results

Matthew Krauft

Good morning. I’d like to preface this reply by saying everyone at Explore Science have been wonderful in answering any and all questions I have. I can’t say enough about the staff there.

As someone new to astrophotography, I’m realizing there is a tremendous learning curve, and I’ve had to stop myself from buying my way out of some problems I come across. I have a suggestion as someone new to this, but I think I could also speak for the thousands, or maybe tens of thousands of other individuals in my shoes who are also new at this due to being stuck at home during this trying time. I think ES should be cranking out tutorial videos on YouTube covering all aspects of astro for beginners With ES equipment. Ranging from mount set up, PA, star alignment, ASCOM, guiding, image acquisition, needed accessories,  etc. I’ve seen a couple youtubers take advantage of this during this time, but not anything from any of the major brands. I’m guessing most people in this hobby are men, and men are typically visual learners. I’m also guessing here, but I’m most beginners to this hobby are probably older and may not have the computer skills to enjoy this hobby.  To me it’s a win/win for everybody.

Thanks again for putting customers first. Wanting feedback is a testament to that.

Just my two cents.

-Matt

On May 8, 2020, at 10:03 AM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

We at Explore Scientific always value our customer's feedback, and so I want to ask you about your experience with our user manuals.

Question: What do you not like about the Explore Scientific user manuals?

Please respond and comment on this thread with additional information you may want to share.

1. I can't find it on your website
2. I can’t understand it
3. It didn’t provide the information I was looking for
4. I couldn’t find the information I was looking for
5. It didn’t provide enough pictures
6. It’s too technical
7. It provided too much detail, it confused me
8. It didn’t come with the product
9. It didn’t explain how to use the product
10. I didn’t care for the format
11. It has a manual?

Vote Now

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Chris Bourque

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 01:06 PM, Matthew Krauft wrote:
I have a suggestion as someone new to this, but I think I could also speak for the thousands, or maybe tens of thousands of other individuals in my shoes who are also new at this due to being stuck at home during this trying time. I think ES should be cranking out tutorial videos on YouTube covering all aspects of astro for beginners

100% agree!! ES has such a wealth of knowledge, and an eagerness to help! YouTube has become the defacto standard for so many types of knowledge sharing, this would be an excellent venue to start a learning and tutorial series. Its a lot of work, for sure. But would really elevate the effectiveness of info dissemination 10-fold.

Doug Doonan

HI,
The thing that really had me going nuts during the set up of my mount PMC-8 was it said to put the data base for ExploreStars in "your" picture file. I have lots of picture files. If there was a path showing where it should go it would have been easy. Say like this: c:\mycomp\pictures\explorestars. In other words right  up on top. One of your techs straightened me out on this. Thanks.
FYI
Doug

We at Explore Scientific always value our customer's feedback, and so I want to ask you about your experience with our user manuals.

Question: What do you not like about the Explore Scientific user manuals?

Please respond and comment on this thread with additional information you may want to share.

Please choose all that apply.
1. I can't find it on your website
2. I can’t understand it
3. It didn’t provide the information I was looking for
4. I couldn’t find the information I was looking for
5. It didn’t provide enough pictures
6. It’s too technical
7. It provided too much detail, it confused me
8. It didn’t come with the product
9. It didn’t explain how to use the product
10. I didn’t care for the format
11. It has a manual?

brian skinner

Hi everybody, I basically agree with Mathew. When I first bought my iEXOS 100, the only video walk through (that I could find anyway) from the ES site was a fairly limited windows based tutorial. What I think would be very useful to absolute beginners at least is a slow step by step tutorial for ideally both Android and Windows platforms, all the way from mechanical set up through to final tracking of the target.

Additional videos covering guiding, which is an additional subject in its own right I would suggest would also be very useful.

The only comment regarding the existing manual (it may have been updated by now) is that it pictorial showed an earlier version of the controller, and not the newer version.

I do also think all at ES are excellent in being very forthcoming with helps and tips and I am sure the majority of us customers also are very appreciative of the e.mail forums that have been set up.

Thankyou and kind regards, Brian

George Fargone

Yes, this would be extremely useful for the iExos-100. At the price point offered by ES (which is awesome) likely 90% of users will be completely new to automated tracking mounts, or astronomy/telescopes all together. A few might get it for its portability. Although after upgrading the tripod and azimuth adjuster both the weight and cost advantages greatly diminish, but it still gives the option of a low entry point.

On Saturday, May 9, 2020, 06:59, brian skinner <brianjimskinner@...> wrote:

[...]

It should come as no surprise that I have some contrary opinions.  :-))

So...I went back to the ES product pages to look for the manuals...

I was only able to find the manual for the iExos-100.  It was under the Software tab, and I thought it was very well done. Useful both to someone doing a presales evaluation, as well as a new owner.

My first observation on all this is that new owners should read their manual before asking support questions, because it does a good job of answering a number of questions, and even if it doesn't answer their question directly, the orientation that it provides will help them do a better job of framing their support question when posting.  IMO, new members should be REMINDED to read their manual before posting.

I was NOT able to find manual links for either the EXOS2 or Losmandy PMC8 manuals on the product pages.  IMO, this should be fixed.

I DID eventually find the pdf manual for my EXOS2, over on the ES 'getting started' pages.  It was labelled as:  "iEXOS 100 PMC PMC-Eight User manual".  This should be fixed, as well... :-)

The 'knowledge base' articles that supplement the manual are only findable after patient drilling.  IMO, the link to:
https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/explore-scientific-knowledge-base-and-faqs
should be lifted up and made more prominent.

As to Youtubes, IMO, those are overrated.  Short, well-edited videos focused on answering one well-defined question are very useful, no question.
But... longer videos attempting to discuss broad topics invite a click-away, just as soon as the viewer gives up hope that their specific question will eventually be answered.  My own attention span has been degraded to the point where the presenter in the video has only 2 or 3 minutes to gain my trust that my time will be well spent.  Not many do, but then, that's me.

HTH...

- Bob
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Jeffrey Spidle, WO9I

I think that the exos 2gt manual would benefit from an service/technical addendum, similar to what is found on high end ham radios or laptops. Something that explains the purpose, size and torque specs for ALL of the screws, what the adjustment screws are etc. There is so much more to this fine mount than what is explained in the insignificant owners manual.

Jeff
--

Loc: 41 53 36N/88 17 14W Chicago Suburbs

Mount: EXOS 2GT PMC8 w/Orion Vixen to Losmandy saddle adapter
OTA: Celestar 8 Losmandy Rail Bottom, Vixen Rail top
Camera: Sony Alpha 77 24Mpixel
GuideCamera / Scope: ZWO ASI120MM on AgenaAstro 50mm 152mmFL Vixen saddle
Sofware: Win10 / Ubuntu 18.04, Stellarium, PHD2

IT Architect
EE, NucE, CS

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 11:01 AM, Robert Hoskin wrote:
I was NOT able to find manual links for either the EXOS2 or Losmandy PMC8 manuals on the product pages.  IMO, this should be fixed.

I DID eventually find the pdf manual for my EXOS2, over on the ES 'getting started' pages.  It was labelled as:  "iEXOS 100 PMC PMC-Eight User manual".  This should be fixed, as well... :-)

I fixed these two items and added the Getting Started link to the main PMC-Eight Mounts page here (it's at the top of the list)
https://explorescientificusa.com/collections/pmc-eight

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Koen M.

I am one of those "if i dont see it i dont get it" kind of people.

Good with the hands, bad with theorie.
For me the thing i missed where more pictures.

I hate reading trough manuals when they dont have pictures to show what the tekst is saying.
But thats for me personaly, so no idea on how other people think about it

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 03:33 PM, Koen M. wrote:
I hate reading trough manuals when they dont have pictures to show what the tekst is saying.
Thanks Koen.

To help those who are like you and other's who want videos, we will be doing short 5 to 10 minute training sessions during our OpenGOTO Community Live! sessions on Facebook. After these are broadcast on Facebook they are transferred to our YouTube channel for future reference. We will make sure that when we transfer these videos we need to create an index of topics that we discuss on our broadcasts so the particular video is easy to find in the future.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data